It’d be like I found my wife in bed with the milkman

rangersxfc

HE IS unable to forgive and there’s no way he can forget.

For Charles Green the idea of Rangers EVER returning to the SPL would be like coming home to find his wife in bed with the milkman — and turning a blind eye.

There are some things that time simply cannot heal.

The Gers chief executive can hardly bring himself to even say ‘SPL’ as he announced plans yesterday to float the Ibrox club on the Stock Exchange.

Instead, he spoke of Scotland’s top flight and the need for his club to get back there.

But for that to happen, he made it clear change will have to come.

Green insisted: “Scottish football is broken. Attendances are not there, the gates are falling, the interest is falling and it needs to be fixed.

“Where we are, as the biggest club in Scotland — by fans, by numbers, by any number of multiples — we need to be sat round that table with Celtic and the other people to look at how Scotland can move forward.

“The SPL threw us out the league. They then stole our money that was due for last year and are pursuing us to strip titles.

“It’s like coming home, finding your wife in bed with the milkman, asking for a divorce and then a week later asking: ‘Can you forgive me? We’ll make up.’

“I can’t make up. Charles Green will never forget what the SPL has done and that’s why I am anti going back where we were told we weren’t wanted.”

So, will Gers never again feature in the Champions League because Green cannot envisage the day his club will work again with the SPL and boss Neil Doncaster? Hinting at major league reconstruction, Green said: “You are assuming the top league is always going to be the SPL.

“I didn’t say I wouldn’t play in the top league. I want to play in the top league.”

Green, Gers boss Ally McCoist and the club’s finance director Brian Stockbridge met AIM representatives in London yesterday.

After months of preparation Green believes he has at last won the trust of Rangers fans.

That is why, even with Christmas just around the corner and inspite of these austere times, the 59-year-old is convinced his share issue will be a success.

Rangers hope to raise £20million when they float next month.

The money generated would be used to strengthen the playing squad, improve and develop the club’s properties and facilities, as well as providing additional working capital. And Green — who values the Third Division club at £30m — said: “Elephants and Yorkshiremen never forget. Everything I say I do.

“And barring some international disaster, this club will be listed before Christmas in London with the money raised.

“Consistent with what I said from the first day at Murray Park I intend to put the club back on AIM.

“We intended to give Rangers supporters the chance to buy shares and, of course, we want to bring institutional investors back into the club so that we have a very, very solid shareholder base and I want that base to be as broad as possible.

“We will start institutional presentations in about 10 days and we’ll see the demand from private investors.

“Over the past two weeks I have been to the States, we’ve been to Ireland and we’ve given presentations in Glasgow to supporters’ groups.

“We feel that the fans are now ready to engage. The concerns they had in the past of who we were and what our intentions were are well behind us now and the board feel this is the right time to gear up and move forward.

“It’s important that people understand that, of all the money raised in the next few weeks, none will go to any existing shareholders.

“Those shareholders will either put more cash in or be diluted down. But every penny raised will be put in the bank account.

“It’s very, very clear what we want to do with those funds and there will be provisions for Ally.”

McCoist himself is backing the share issue.

He confessed: “The last six months has been without doubt the most traumatic in the club’s history.

“We must move forward. This is a big, big step in the club moving forward again. It’s vitally important supporters get an opportunity to invest.

Fans can register their interest at either www.rangersshareoffer.com, www.rangers.co.uk. or by phoning 0871 6649 271.

Charles Greens not for turning :uk: glad to hear hes not going to let go of this and i think hes well aware that the SPL is an endangered speices on the verge of exstinction right now and we will be back in the top league but that wont be the corrupt and discredited SPL.