Was ray Wilkins a good player for us ?

watty.

While at the end of his career he a was a great player for us.

He was the player of the season as voted by our supporters bus.

He could pass a ball like very few I have seen

While THAT goal gets all the headlines I remember a pass he made at Tannadice.

The pass looked impossible it was only about 15 yards but it needed a slight swerve and would you believe back spin.

He played it with perfection and if memory serves wee Stuart Munro ran on and either scored or played in another to score.

I doublt even Gazza could have played it.

Aye, he was a player alright. I recall his last two games at Dundee and at Ibrox against Dunfermline. He just played simple, effective football hardly putting a foot wrong. at the end of the Dundee game (think we won 2-0) we were playing keep ball in their half. You can't/don't do that if you ain't a good footballer.

GMc, you're right about him at the end of the Dunfermline game. Remember it well. Can you remember Butcher's long cross field ball (probably 40-50m) for Jonston to score? It wasn't a hopeful ball, it was a full on "there you go pal, its on a sixpence for ye" ball. Fuck, wished we had players like that today!

he was quality.

i went to a Chelsea game a couple of seasons back, after the game went to the restraunt joined to Stamford Bridge, he came in with someone else from Chelsea and their wives for a drink, i said hello and he went right into his love of the Rangers and took great pride in telling the other Chelsea backroom staff member about his good times at Rangers

Great player, as a few have said he was at the twilight of his career when he came to us, but you never lose your class, a player who could galvanise the team, sublime passing, great vision, plenty dig, and an all round nice chap, complemented by the class players he had around him, Trevor Steven, Souness, Spackman etc. also scored a carbon copy of THAT goal in the auld old firm

:lol: Why ?

Got huckled at an Old Firm game, he was warming up inside the stadium, under the main stand. As me and the bad cop walked past him i said 'Go on Ray, give it all you've got mate' He turns and said 'You could have seen it yourself if you had behaved yourself' in a grumpy voice :lol: Oh well, suppose he was right!!

I was young at the time but remember his goal against them. Watching old footage he could control a game as well as anyone. Always comes across well doing his punditry (is that a real word?) and interviews. Seems to be well thought of as a coach, got shafted at Chelsea did he not?

Was he not the first England player to be sent off at a World Cup as well?

Never a dirty player though.

Don't know about the first, but I can still recall him throwing the ball away as he got sent off on that sunny day.

Definitely a good, classy player for us. £185,000, I recall, as the fee. Same as Ally's.