The new reality?

delamonty

I think -- frankly -- that inconsistency will be the norm for the next 2 years at least.

The Motherwell match? Brilliant. ICT? Pub team. Today? Brilliant. Next week? Your guess is as good as mine.

But I take heart -- I do. Today -- again - showed our young guys can play. Lewis McLeod is sensational, Barry McKay, and Aird... They are not going to have a high level every match, but I tell you this... They have the talent. And when it comes together like today, it's a joy.

What we have to do is look ahead at where this team will be in 2 years. McLeod, McKay and Aird (and others of course) 2 years from now after honing their skills? We will be in a great position. Also, given we will have a few quid to spend... we get a few "Johnny Foreigners" to help us win the SPL (if it exists) and get back to the CL.

Patience Bears....

We are in a much better state than most give us credit for.

We are the people and, God save the Queen.

(tu)

I think -- frankly -- that inconsistency will be the norm for the next 2 years at least.The Motherwell match? Brilliant. ICT? Pub team. Today? Brilliant. Next week? Your guess is as good as mine.But I take heart -- I do. Today -- again - showed our young guys can play. Lewis McLeod is sensational, Barry McKay, and Aird... They are not going to have a high level every match, but I tell you this... They have the talent. And when it comes together like today, it's a joy.What we have to do is look ahead at where this team will be in 2 years. McLeod, McKay and Aird (and others of course) 2 years from now after honing their skills? We will be in a great position. Also, given we will have a few quid to spend... we get a few "Johnny Foreigners" to help us win the SPL (if it exists) and get back to the CL.Patience Bears.... We are in a much better state than most give us credit for. We are the people and, God save the Queen. (tu)

(tu)

Was thinking about that today aswell.

One week we're brilliant the next we're shite. One week we're winning the next we're drawing.

I think their was 6 or 7 young players today that have came through our youth team, so these players are not used to playing at the highest level everyweek and fans and managers demanding wins every week.

They will get there though.

I think -- frankly -- that inconsistency will be the norm for the next 2 years at least.

The Motherwell match? Brilliant. ICT? Pub team. Today? Brilliant. Next week? Your guess is as good as mine.

But I take heart -- I do. Today -- again - showed our young guys can play. Lewis McLeod is sensational, Barry McKay, and Aird... They are not going to have a high level every match, but I tell you this... They have the talent. And when it comes together like today, it's a joy.

What we have to do is look ahead at where this team will be in 2 years. McLeod, McKay and Aird (and others of course) 2 years from now after honing their skills? We will be in a great position. Also, given we will have a few quid to spend... we get a few "Johnny Foreigners" to help us win the SPL (if it exists) and get back to the CL.

Patience Bears....

(tu)

100% agree with this - to develop youth we are going to have to put up with some inconsistency - and as you correctly see - we need patience - a patience some of our fansseemto lack.

We are playing youth and this is one of the problems that come, they can play good then bad, I still support Alli and the team

and I said at the start of this campaign all I'm intrested in is the league anything else is just a bonus.

I'm hoping Alli keeps playing the youth so by the time we are nearer the top they woill be seasoned pros and the inconsistency will be out off them.

No inconsistency is not something we should be tolerating.

We have the resources and the motivation to overcome inconsistencies.

It may be we have to decide a time period for our next achievements, and given we now have a sound financial footing, resources and clarity of vision, we should set realistic targets and achieve them consistently.

Unlike our eastern neighbours I do not expect to win a champions league in the near future but I do expect to be back challenging at the top and qualifying for Europe in 3-4 years time, and if re-structuring occurs probably in 2-3 years.

We are playing youth and this is one of the problems that come, they can play good then bad, I still support Alli and the team

and I said at the start of this campaign all I'm intrested in is the league anything else is just a bonus.

I'm hoping Alli keeps playing the youth so by the time we are nearer the top they woill be seasoned pros and the inconsistency will be out off them.

Once is an oversight but twice FFS

Patience Bears....

(tu)

agree mate we have not got enougb experience to play to the highest level every week. When we play these spl teams in cup the now its tough on the young guys. But theh will get there we just have to keep getting behind them and theh will grow into talents that will give these teams the run around.

Inconsistency is one thing, downright shite performances coming from the long ball nonsense isanother

I would happy take a defeat knowing we tried to play football and kerp it on the deck, build from the back etc

You are a mug.

3 points are 3 points, a win is a win. Win first, Win well second.

Inconsistency is one thing, downright shite performances coming from the long ball nonsense isanother

I would happy take a defeat knowing we tried to play football and kerp it on the deck, build from the back etc

I completly agree with this....as long as like yesterday we try to do the right things then eventually results will take care of themselves. Too many fans are stuck in this mindset that as long as we win/get promoted thats fine....Its not....

This is our chance to rip up that old mentality and play football and build something that will stand us in good stead in the future...we dont have the pressure of competing with Celtic so there is no excuse not to teach these young guys how to play football and I guarantee if we do that then by the time we are back in Europe/SPL we will be in a much better position both on and off the park.

I can accept inconsistent results and performances provided we are trying to play football....We will win this league regardless so why not use this year to start fresh...Yesterday if nothing else shows the potential is there...

I completly agree with this....as long as like yesterday we try to do the right things then eventually results will take care of themselves. Too many fans are stuck in this mindset that as long as we win/get promoted thats fine....Its not.... Winning is always acceptable. Don't confuse those who value the win first as people who love poor football. We just have our priorties in order.

This is our chance to rip up that old mentality - The winning mentality? That took us to 54 leagues and 115 trophies? Yeah lets rip that up and start all over.

I can accept inconsistent results and performances provided we are trying to play football. doh

For a start who said anything about a winning mentality? A winning mentality is something you develop....you cannot be taught that....what you can be taught is how to play football and by enjoying your football and winning matches and trophies that mentality is bred.

Like everyone who supports our club I want to see us winning things but at the moment we are in a position where we can work on things....Its not like in the SPL where you couldnt afford to lose ground on Celtic and we would be happy with any win.....We are in division 3....we will and always should win the league regardless of the odd bad result here or there but if we learn to do things now and get away from this long ball, kick and rush stuff not only will we be a much better football team but we will be in a better position to play in Europe and start winning things again. On top of this unlike the old mentality that we should go out and buy new players to improve how we play....if we teach our own kids/players and develop a squad mentality of how to play then we will not need to spend as much and we will have players who are worth alot of money as well.

take a step back for a 2nd and think about where we are and where we could be in 3/5 years if we do things right now.....If you are happy with the direct football and scrappy wins against the likes of Clyde and Queens Park where youngsters like Mcleod and Mckay are bypassed then good luck to you but I think we have the potential to do a hell of alot more.

For a start who said anything about a winning mentality? A winning mentality is something you develop....you cannot be taught that....what you can be taught is how to play football and by enjoying your football and winning matches and trophies that mentality is bred.

Like everyone who supports our club I want to see us winning things but at the moment we are in a position where we can work on things....Its not like in the SPL where you couldnt afford to lose ground on Celtic and we would be happy with any win.....We are in division 3....we will and always should win the league regardless of the odd bad result here or there but if we learn to do things now and get away from this long ball, kick and rush stuff not only will we be a much better football team but we will be in a better position to play in Europe and start winning things again. On top of this unlike the old mentality that we should go out and buy new players to improve how we play....if we teach our own kids/players and develop a squad mentality of how to play then we will not need to spend as much and we will have players who are worth alot of money as well.

take a step back for a 2nd and think about where we are and where we could be in 3/5 years if we do things right now.....If you are happy with the direct football and scrappy wins against the likes of Clyde and Queens Park where youngsters like Mcleod and Mckay are bypassed then good luck to you but I think we have the potential to do a hell of alot more.

OK, first of all, celtic were trying to keep up with us, not the other way round. They couldn't do it and are lucky we have been banished.

You know what. Sometimes the old Kick and Rush punt up the park works. Sometimes its needed. Just because it doesn't look pretty and you don't like it doesn't mean it is not a part of football that shouldn't be utilised when and if necessary. I'm just sick of posters going on about it. You'd think we have the ball 20ft in the air constantly the way some of you talk.

We have been successful. We won 3 leagues in a row before shytey. Why is such a radical change needed for success? Yes, of course focus on youth thats the way forward in football, but the opinion that we HAVE to completely change to be successful now is just wrong. We all want to do better in europe, but assuming that keeping the ball on the deck will bring success is naive. Remember 2008? We got to a European final off of a solid defense and counter attacking football.

I agree 100% I will continue to back and support out team and that includes Ally, but I canny lie at times I am deeply worried with his tactics, subs and ability to nurture our young squad and mild them into professionals who can operate at ye highest level week in week out.

I can also accept defeats when we have progressed and attempted to play football (a little like Wigan) but not when Jig moves into midfield to accommodate Kevin Kyle. Nothing against Kyle, but he's no way near good enough to be playing professional anymore - never mind for Rangers.

I always said that we would be inconsistent up to Christmas and then things would begin settling down, as it takes 3 to 6 months for someone to settle in to a new bog standard job(emotional adjustment period) with out 40+ thousand watching your every move. Still think we will win the league easily ( cups came to early for us) and we will see some sweet football in the new year as most of the squad will have adapted to our new reality by then. This was always going to be our most difficult time and I think Ally has done well getting them bedded in to a new squad and a new league.

To be honest I don't buy that when we've been pretty consistently poor, even some of the home wins like East Stirling and Montrose were very laboured. Motherwell and Alloa have been our only very good displays for a whole 90 minutes.

However, I hope we have reached a turning point now after yesterday.

I think that that's pretty much the rub of it.

We're still in the early stages of rebuilding, and inconsistency is the cost of giving these younger guys game time. Having said that, so long as promotion is achieved, then it's a small, small price to pay. Feyenoord used this strategy a couple of years ago and, although they were mid-table in the Eredivisie for some time, they now have 6/7 teenagers who have been capped by the Netherlands, and are in a fantastic position going forward.

I do think we're getting a tendency to exaggerate how young the team is, I mean over 20s with SPL and CL experience are being counted as wee boys that we can't expect too much of in the third division.

Macleod has been the only kid to really be regular, McKay and Aird have been in and out, and I don't think Crawford has started a match yet.

A good post making a good point.

Inconsistency is something we may have to absorb whilst the boys develop.

One day they will pass the tipping point and turn it on more often than not.

All things considered we will be formidable if we have added to the team properly round about them.

We have 5 or 6 starting to make an impression. I accept 1 will be sold to balance books but that still leaves 5 home reared stars.

Not too shabby.

I think that that's pretty much the rub of it.

We're still in the early stages of rebuilding, and inconsistency is the cost of giving these younger guys game time. Having said that, so long as promotion is achieved, then it's a small, small price to pay. Feyenoord used this strategy a couple of years ago and, although they were mid-table in the Eredivisie for some time, they now have 6/7 teenagers who have been capped by the Netherlands, and are in a fantastic position going forward.

(tu)

I think that it's a fact overlooked by some, that a new squad will take time to bed in and learn eachothers game.

We have shown we can play well and also play well against good opponents. Consistency will come through time and games.

Yeah but look at yesterday, formation folk have asked him to go back to for weeks on here and what happens, everybody looked as though they knew where everybody else was going to be on the park, nice football regardless of the opposition class, remember on Friday how many folks thought we were going to get humped.

Bed the boys and play folk in the right position it works, strange that, not saying other formations shouldn't be used, but confidence in playing together, knowing where runs are going to be made.

Seems more practical in getting confidence in the basics without getting fancy with the formations, until the confidence and consistency is there.

Yeah but look at yesterday, formation folk have asked him to go back to for weeks on here and what happens, everybody looked as though they knew where everybody else was going to be on the park, nice football regardless of the opposition class, remember on Friday how many folks thought we were going to get humped.

Bed the boys and play folk in the right position it works, strange that, not saying other formations shouldn't be used, but confidence in playing together, knowing where runs are going to be made.

Seems more practical in getting confidence in the basics without getting fancy with the formations, until the confidence and consistency is there.

Post match interview on Rangers TV, the last question to Ally is:

"And finally - a 4-4-2 formation today, Were you pleased with the way that worked out"

He was. His reason being that it allowed Shiels to come on to his game more.

But spookily, the video clip was 4:42 long. Maybe even the video editor's trying to tell Ally something

:sherlock: