Green says Hearts turmoil could fast-track Rangers back to the top

maverick1200

http://www.dailymail...rles-Green.html

Charles Green says Hearts going bust would make it difficult for the SPL to survive - and believes the loss of a second major club could force a restructuring of the Scottish game.

His comments come ahead of a meeting at Hampden where a revamp of the league set-up will be top of the agenda.

The Scottish Football League are proposing a three-tier system with a 16-team top flight, a 10-team First Division and an 18-team Second Division which would include the reserves sides from both Celtic and Rangers.

While these plans are very much at the discussion stage only, with little likely to happen until the 2014-15 season at the earliest, Green is adamant a re-jigging of the senior game is vital.

He accepts Rangers may have to play their way up from their current place in the Third Division but also argues that any change could see the Ibrox club fast-tracked back to a new-look top flight - especially if another SPL side slips under the waves.

'I understand the SFL are having a meeting of clubs on Wednesday and it's the intention of the executive to unveil what they think would be a restructuring plan for Scottish football. So we'll find out what the SFL plan is,' he said.

'There are problems at Hearts, who are now in financial difficulty, there are rumours that another couple of SPL clubs are in financial difficulty. So it is a time for change.

'Whether the SPL can survive if two clubs go out of business would be really questionable.

'We're focused on winning the Third Division and getting promotion. What Ally has to do is play in the league he's in.

'Whether there is restructuring or things we can't control, we just get on with it. If you keep winning games, you end up at the top. What the top will be called in three years, who knows?

'And, if it happens beforehand because of restructuring or clubs going out of business, that's unfortunate - but we had to get on with our lives and other clubs will have to do the same.

'We have been through tough times. This couldn't have happened in any other country other than Scotland. But Rangers are strong, they've come through it, and the key now is to move on.'

Speaking on Talksport, he added: 'Scottish football effectively is Rangers and Celtic. I mean, there are many other clubs but everyone has to acknowledge that that's a fact.

'Scottish football needs Rangers back at the top and Rangers being a vital part of European football. That's where we're trying to get them.

'The Old Firm is the world's biggest derby. That's what world football wants, what broadcasters and sponsors wants, to see those games again. God willing we' ll see that in the years ahead.'

Sportsmail understands meantime that Hearts have opened negotiations with HMRC regarding a payment plan for the £450,000 tax bill which has to be paid by Thursday or the club faces liquidation.

While the financial situation at the Tynecastle club remains precarious, the fact the HMRC are prepared to talk is being looked upon as a positive sign.

Club legends Gary Mackay and Scott Crabbe launched the '1874 Fighting Fund' in a bid to help the financially stricken club. And former players like Paul Hartley, Steven Pressley, Gilles Rousset, Stephane Adam, Tosh McKinlay and George Cowie have all promised to make donations.

Mackay said: 'Everybody has their own thoughts about how best to help the club, and our fighting fund would be looking to galvanise those fans who want to help the club but are unsure exactly where to hand their money.

'It is probably aimed at those who are sceptical about donating straight to the club.

'We are not working against the club in any way, shape or form.

'The fighting fund will be looked after by the group and, if the club needed money, we would work with them to pay bills or whatever.'

A somewhat mischievous headline, because Green says nothing of the sort.

http://www.dailymail...rles-Green.html

Charles Green says Hearts going bust would make it difficult for the SPL to survive - and believes the loss of a second major club could force a restructuring of the Scottish game.

His comments come ahead of a meeting at Hampden where a revamp of the league set-up will be top of the agenda.

The Scottish Football League are proposing a three-tier system with a 16-team top flight, a 10-team First Division and an 18-team Second Division which would include the reserves sides from both Celtic and Rangers.

While these plans are very much at the discussion stage only, with little likely to happen until the 2014-15 season at the earliest, Green is adamant a re-jigging of the senior game is vital.

He accepts Rangers may have to play their way up from their current place in the Third Division but also argues that any change could see the Ibrox club fast-tracked back to a new-look top flight - especially if another SPL side slips under the waves.

'I understand the SFL are having a meeting of clubs on Wednesday and it's the intention of the executive to unveil what they think would be a restructuring plan for Scottish football. So we'll find out what the SFL plan is,' he said.

'There are problems at Hearts, who are now in financial difficulty, there are rumours that another couple of SPL clubs are in financial difficulty. So it is a time for change.

'Whether the SPL can survive if two clubs go out of business would be really questionable.

'We're focused on winning the Third Division and getting promotion. What Ally has to do is play in the league he's in.

'Whether there is restructuring or things we can't control, we just get on with it. If you keep winning games, you end up at the top. What the top will be called in three years, who knows?

'And, if it happens beforehand because of restructuring or clubs going out of business, that's unfortunate - but we had to get on with our lives and other clubs will have to do the same.

'We have been through tough times. This couldn't have happened in any other country other than Scotland. But Rangers are strong, they've come through it, and the key now is to move on.'

Speaking on Talksport, he added: 'Scottish football effectively is Rangers and Celtic. I mean, there are many other clubs but everyone has to acknowledge that that's a fact.

'Scottish football needs Rangers back at the top and Rangers being a vital part of European football. That's where we're trying to get them.

'The Old Firm is the world's biggest derby. That's what world football wants, what broadcasters and sponsors wants, to see those games again. God willing we' ll see that in the years ahead.'

Sportsmail understands meantime that Hearts have opened negotiations with HMRC regarding a payment plan for the £450,000 tax bill which has to be paid by Thursday or the club faces liquidation.

While the financial situation at the Tynecastle club remains precarious, the fact the HMRC are prepared to talk is being looked upon as a positive sign.

Club legends Gary Mackay and Scott Crabbe launched the '1874 Fighting Fund' in a bid to help the financially stricken club. And former players like Paul Hartley, Steven Pressley, Gilles Rousset, Stephane Adam, Tosh McKinlay and George Cowie have all promised to make donations.

Mackay said: 'Everybody has their own thoughts about how best to help the club, and our fighting fund would be looking to galvanise those fans who want to help the club but are unsure exactly where to hand their money.

'It is probably aimed at those who are sceptical about donating straight to the club.

'We are not working against the club in any way, shape or form.

'The fighting fund will be looked after by the group and, if the club needed money, we would work with them to pay bills or whatever.'

A somewhat mischievous headline, because Green says nothing of the sort.

"He accepts Rangers may have to play their way up from their current place in the Third Division but also argues that any change could see the Ibrox club fast-tracked back to a new-look top flight - especially if another SPL side slips under the waves." "Could" He kinda did say exactly that

I wonder how much of an impact Hearts going bust would have on others. I'm guessing that the Declinecastle bunch don't take a huge crowd on the road, but could it be a factor in adding to the woes of other troubled clubs; the start of a chain reaction perhaps?

Lets hope so.

The sheep shaggers next please.!!!

"He accepts Rangers may have to play their way up from their current place in the Third Division but also argues that any change could see the Ibrox club fast-tracked back to a new-look top flight - especially if another SPL side slips under the waves." "Could" He kinda did say exactly that

He didn't say that though, the journalist makes the assumption.

At present the SPL don't really have that much on the table to sell, the Old Firm games was the carrot they used to dangle

in front of the TV companys and that has now gone so now they don't have any chips to bargain with, I accept Hearts don't

really have much selling power but what little they did have may be no more, the way things are looking and the way the clubs

are looking as if they are going to fall we may very well see an SPL with nothing at all on the table to sell.

I wonder how much of an impact Hearts going bust would have on others. I'm guessing that the Declinecastle bunch don't take a huge crowd on the road, but could it be a factor in adding to the woes of other troubled clubs; the start of a chain reaction perhaps?

I'd imagine hibs would be pissing their frillies at the prospect of 0 derbies

I don't like the idea of being parachuted into the SPL too quickly, i can imagine Septic rubbing their hands with glee thinking we'll be the whipping boys as we play catch up. Ally needs at least another season or two to build a squad capable of competing with them or we'll get slaughtered. I'd like to think we could win a Scottish cup from the 3rd or 2nd tier before we go up and against them, then we'll be ready.

I don't like the idea of being parachuted into the SPL too quickly, i can imagine Septic rubbing their hands with glee thinking we'll be the whipping boys as we play catch up. Ally needs at least another season or two to build a squad capable of competing with them or we'll get slaughtered. I'd like to think we could win a Scottish cup from the 3rd or 2nd tier before we go up and against them, then we'll be ready.

This is about fast tracking the restructuring of Scottish football, not pushing us up the leagues.

This is about fast tracking the restructuring of Scottish football, not pushing us up the leagues.

Hope so, though i feel if Hearts go the other clubs will follow suit and that could mean as many as 4/5 clubs will be administration by 2013 the changes are not due til 2014/15. I fear (sarcasm) the SPL may not last til then without Rangers.