And we're off!

Gaz92

Copy and Pasted for those that don't want to give them the hit:

TAX chiefs should face THREE separate investigations into their failed case against Rangers, it was claimed last night.

Fans, politicians and former owner Craig Whyte said HMRC should be grilled by Parliament and police — and face an internal inquiry.

It’s claimed the law may have been broken by the leaking of information about Gers’ finances before HMRC lost their £75million tax fight against the club on Tuesday.

Critics also insist the shadow of the ‘big tax case’ tribunal stopped potential new owners stepping forward and stifled investment which could have halted the Light Blues’ demise.

Last night Glasgow South West MP Ian Davidson, whose constituency includes the club’s Ibrox stadium, said: “There is an issue for HMRC about what seems to be a steady leak of information about Rangers’ financial circumstances and the progress of the tax case which causes some concern — and I think that is an issue for them to examine internally.”

But he added: “Leaking information in this way about the confidential affairs of a taxpayer is, as I understand it, a criminal offence, so it is not just a matter for the HMRC.

“What we need is for those who have relayed their concerns to me to approach HMRC or the police with any evidence that they have.

“Once the evidence has come forward then there should be consideration given about the appropriate route to take.

“In the event there is no formal proof coming forward then HMRC will have to consider — given what seems to have been happening but what is not provable — what internal inquiry is appropriate.”

Rangers Supporters Trust spokesman Mark Dingwall also demanded a police investigation — and said the alleged release of information by HMRC during the tax case had been hugely harmful to the club.

He said: “We would back the call for a review of HMRC procedures and security. The whole process seems to have been characterised by a continual leak of information from HMRC and we need to find out if that’s been official or unofficial. Those leaks have been extremely damaging to Rangers and associated businesses and I think people would think the Revenue should operate to the highest standards of security. In this case that clearly has not happened.

“I think internally the HMRC and externally the police need to launch an investigation to out this source and those responsible for publishing.”

Former Rangers owner Craig Whyte — who claims his attempts to cut a deal with the HMRC were snubbed — said he backed calls for a “full investigation” into the department’s actions.

He added: “The way Rangers have been treated by them has been a disgrace. Questions need to be answered.”

Labour MP Brian Donohoe revealed he also expects the House of Commons’ Public Accounts Committee to look into the matter.

Mr Donohoe said: “I think it is a case that will have to be examined and I believe the best place for that is the committee.

“It’s clear that when they look at the situation and when they report, that’s when it will be for people like me to comment on what has gone wrong or what is going wrong with HMRC. I understand that they have been alerted to this.”

Former Ibrox supremo Sir David Murray has already hit out at the way information was released, with his firm Murray International Holdings calling it “wholly inappropriate” after Tuesday’s decision.

HMRC has said it is considering whether to appeal the two-one majority verdict handed down by First Tier Tax Tribunal judges on Tuesday.

The Revenue lost the case — against the Ibrox ‘oldco’ club — after the judges decided money given to players and directors through Employee Benefit Trusts were loans and not illicit side payments.

It meant the cash — paid between 2001 and 2010 — should not be subject to PAYE and National Insurance. The judges’ ruling said Gers would have to pay a “substantially reduced” liability — and it is thought a “minimal payment” will now be made.

The case came about as Gers appealed a £36.6million tax bill — with the Revenue telling the club that with interest and payments on the original sum they could end up owing £75million. The old club is now in liquidation, with the new version playing in the Third Division, having lost its top stars.

HMRC last night declined to comment on calls for probes. Strathclyde Police said: “There is no police investigation into HMRC.”

Cash fight bill 'secret'

EXCLUSIVE by PAUL THORNTON

HMRC chiefs have refused to say how much they spent chasing Rangers in their ill-fated tax battle — as it was claimed it has cost public coffers £3million.

The Revenue have been investigating the case for eight years after claiming the club owed them £36.6million.

They hired top QC Roddy Thomson to represent them during a 29-day hearing.

On Tuesday the Revenue were told they would be due a “substantially reduced” payment after the tribunal upheld Rangers’ appeal.

But with the ‘oldco’ Rangers now being liquidated even that may not be paid.

This comes despite claims from former owner Craig Whyte that HMRC bosses refused to make a deal with him that would have seen the Exchequer pocket millions.

Last night Matthew Sinclair, chief executive of TaxPayers’ Alliance, insisted the public had a right to know what HMRC were spending.

He said: “When so much is spent on chasing down such a large tax bill it’s important that hard-pressed families know if they got a good deal or not.”

Weeks before Tuesday’s revelations we used freedom of information laws to ask HMRC what they spent on the investigation of Rangers and representation for the tribunal.

HMRC said they could not release details relating to an identifiable person, adding: “HMRC holds some information falling within the description of your request. However it is being withheld.”

The courts service revealed that judges costs ran to over £40,000 during the tribunal.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4658300/Taxman-v-The-Boys-in-Blue-II.html#ixzz2D0LWOCdk

2 politicians already is no bad. Am sure more will follow suit, especially when we get near the 100,000 sigs we need for the petition.

http://epetitions.di...petitions/42143

Where is the 1st minster of Scotland? You know the guy that wants Scotland to be a better place for the Scottish people and Scottish business etc. Wheres he?

He was quick enough when Hearts were needing help. A club who i very much doubt is knowing outside of Scotland?

2 politicians already is no bad. Am sure more will follow suit, especially when we get near the 100,000 sigs we need for the petition.

http://epetitions.di...petitions/42143

Let's put it straight, if 100,000+ (and about 20,000 or so that were at Ibrox) can travel to Manchester, we should reach that figure no questions asked.

He is one mp who always sticks up for us. Knew his son who is a feature writer for the sun ( or was , not bought it in a while ) . Both good bluenoses.

Surprised I've not heard more of Brian Donohoe before the last few days? Or have I had my head in the sand?

It would be great to have someone in his position spear-heading the fightback.

Let's put it straight, if 100,000+ (and about 20,000 or so that were at Ibrox) can travel to Manchester, we should reach that figure no questions asked.

But we cannot afford to be complacent ------ get your family, friends, friends of friends, pets, ANYONE to get this petition signed. Get it on facebook and all Rangers related blogs --- it's a slow start but with some effort it can gain momentum.

Lets not get too carried away with this. Timmy has had plenty of practise covering up his misdeeds amd there is plenty of those.

We need to be as clever as they are, hopefully SDM and BDO are as good as their rhetoric in todays news about persuing the guilty parties in all this. Right to the end court, sued and jail for the bastards.

While the investigation into leaking should obviously be looked at, it's frankly bizarre that all those politicians and whoever else are jumping in the bandwagon now, didnt think to bring this up when it was clear that info was being leaked more than a year ago.

A lot of folk properly trying to save their skin or score points now. I'm 99% sure that should we have lost the big tax case, there wouldn't have been even a peep about legally looking at these leaks.

While its nice to have some folk on our side for a change, we should be wary of who we accept that from and who is simply leeching off of it. Craig Whyte is obvious but there are plenty of journos who didn't bother their arse to defend us before and are now trying to ride on their high horse

While the investigation into leaking should obviously be looked at, it's frankly bizarre that all those politicians and whoever else are jumping in the bandwagon now, didnt think to bring this up when it was clear that info was being leaked more than a year ago.

A lot of folk properly trying to save their skin or score points now. I'm 99% sure that should we have lost the big tax case, there wouldn't have been even a peep about legally looking at these leaks.

While its nice to have some folk on our side for a change, we should be wary of who we accept that from and who is simply leeching off of it. Craig Whyte is obvious but there are plenty of journos who didn't bother their arse to defend us before and are now trying to ride on their high horse

That was basically the point I made further up in the page when I asked why I hadn't particularly heard of this Donohoe before.

However, I can't imagine it's easy for a Minister to comment on such a case when there is no outcome. If HMRC had won the case, they would have been vindicated, and if Donohoe had made such comments then he would have been put in a very awkward position.