Why Rangers could beat Celtic in a Cup Final.

Buzz

Of course we could beat them in a one off game. This thread is all hypothetical though, pretty much everything is based on imagination.

I love the way certain posters are all over this thread yet ignore the one praising Ally.

Self-gratification.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess there are a couple of things with it. Firstly, yes Rangers could beat Celtic in a cup final, we have players who are easily superior to most of the SPL teams, and there are SPL teams beating Celtic this season, so, with all of the emotion and passion behind it, it could work strongly for us (or against). Secondly, the next game against them is going to be strange, because it is either going to be the most vicious, passionate, hate-filled game ever, or there will be a lot of fans (like me) who will never look forward to these games in the same way again, after everything that has happened.

Of course we could beat them in a one off game. This thread is all hypothetical though, pretty much everything is based on imagination.

I love the way certain posters are all over this thread yet ignore the one praising Ally.

Well of course it is, it has to be.

Too many people look at Celtic though and think that they're Barcelona. They're not, and in a game in which they're expected to take control instead of sitting back and soaking up pressure, they look very vulnerable in.

A lot would depend on him the colts react, if enough or all of them stepped up to the challenge then I see no reason whatsoever why we couldn't be victorious. What's happening at Rangers has to be a first in football where a team comprising of mostly boys will travel through four divisions bonding and learning together. I truly believe we are in for really exciting times. WATP

Like some on here, I would be quite happy never to play them ever again, but it will happen sometimes, so we shall just have to wait and see who will triumph once again, I know who I will put my money on :21:

I want Rangers to play them again and beat them and put them back in their place but at this moment we are not ready for them.

Ive certainly not seen anything from them that would make me fear a game with them. They got lucky to get their results with Barca, otherwise they are pish and well overrated.

We have a young team, who with everyone fit, would test out their dodgy keeper and show him up for what he is.

We are not ready to take on timmy yet.

We'll see how much progession we've made when we take on dumdee, I can't see us winning that but anythings possible.

The teams still maturing, the young boys have still a lot too learn, maybe when the transfer bans lifted and Ally can strengthen the squad then we can have confidence in taking on the darkside

As hard it is to admit, perry and cribari just arent good enough to face them. Hegarty may be one day though.

Macleod, i think he'd handle it in midfield, but then again, he is still young and you never know.

Black and hutton, hmmm .... im not too sure.

We'd need jig in midfield or defence as a physical presence. Which leaves us short up front.

As good as templetons been, we cant rely on him solely against the tims.

All in all, i wouldnt put any money on it. But even though we have a MUCH weaker team, it would be a one off old firm, and you just never know.

The prospect of an Old Firm cup final is one many of us have thought about, possibly even wished for this season. It offers a chance for us to not only win a major piece of domestic silverware, but to give Celtic a humbling in the process would be only too sweet.

It's not hard to see that man for man, Celtic have a better first XI than us. Even the most staunch bluenose would struggle to deny it. But do not fear, there is hope. And the improvement from Ally McCoist points towards that hope.

Lets take a look at our own team. Having weighed up the players, it's easy to see that our strengths lie in our wide players. Wallace and Templeton are top players in Scotland, McKay is a great prospect who's on fire and Argyriou is pretty solid too. Certainly, in the wide areas, I think we have the upper hand over Celtic, content to play an out-of-form Izaguirre and Matthews, with an inconsistent Samaras and a central midfielder on the wings.

However, our major deficiencies lie in central defence. When facing strikers who play with the ball at their feet, Perry and Cribari are not convincing in the slightest. However, when dealing with aerial balls, they are competent. Hooper is a player who will challenge in the air, but these two would win more than their fair share, they are bigger and stronger than Hooper is.

First of all, what must be done is to shut off the hole behind the striker, to prevent playing it into Hoopers feet. This is where Black and Hutton would come in, both are more than competent at this and Black will hopefully wake up against tougher opposition. He certainly wont take any shit from Brown.

Secondly, we must push Celtic out wide, where they are weak, so that the only opportunities they have are if they lump the ball into Hooper. Easier said than done, but should the hole be closed off, they will be left with little options. This is realistically our best chance to avoid conceding.

Thirdly, we must look to our attack. Jig, whilst good at bullying a defence and holding the ball up, is slow. On the wings, we have pace in McKay and Temps, and playing just behind Jig, a good passer of the ball in MacLeod, more than capable of threading a through ball for them to run on to. He's also got a good long shot on him should he get right up behind McCulloch. Celtic have very little pace at the back, particularly through the middle. We could counter attack at speed and hit them for six.

Therefore, it's easy to see that should we set our stall out accordingly, we CAN beat Celtic. There is reason for hope and optimism. But it requires the right line up. And the ability to withstand pressure and break at speed.

Alexander

Argyriou Perry Cribari Wallace

Black Hutton

Temps MacLeod McKay

McCulloch

So what do you think?

You say they have no pace the back? I disagree, Wilson and Ambrose have pace, they dont like a big striker up against them though.

Just as well our country never took this weak at the knee attitude in 1942, or we would all be speaking German. Give it 2 years then we'll be ready. If you play for Rangers be prepared to put yourself second, and that is the only time second should ever be good enough, ever!

To play for Rangers you have to be a Winner, our history proves it, winning is in our blood, its in our DNA. Rangers are WINNERS, bring it on!

The prospect of an Old Firm cup final is one many of us have thought about, possibly even wished for this season. It offers a chance for us to not only win a major piece of domestic silverware, but to give Celtic a humbling in the process would be only too sweet.

It's not hard to see that man for man, Celtic have a better first XI than us. Even the most staunch bluenose would struggle to deny it. But do not fear, there is hope. And the improvement from Ally McCoist points towards that hope.

Lets take a look at our own team. Having weighed up the players, it's easy to see that our strengths lie in our wide players. Wallace and Templeton are top players in Scotland, McKay is a great prospect who's on fire and Argyriou is pretty solid too. Certainly, in the wide areas, I think we have the upper hand over Celtic, content to play an out-of-form Izaguirre and Matthews, with an inconsistent Samaras and a central midfielder on the wings.

However, our major deficiencies lie in central defence. When facing strikers who play with the ball at their feet, Perry and Cribari are not convincing in the slightest. However, when dealing with aerial balls, they are competent. Hooper is a player who will challenge in the air, but these two would win more than their fair share, they are bigger and stronger than Hooper is.

First of all, what must be done is to shut off the hole behind the striker, to prevent playing it into Hoopers feet. This is where Black and Hutton would come in, both are more than competent at this and Black will hopefully wake up against tougher opposition. He certainly wont take any shit from Brown.

Secondly, we must push Celtic out wide, where they are weak, so that the only opportunities they have are if they lump the ball into Hooper. Easier said than done, but should the hole be closed off, they will be left with little options. This is realistically our best chance to avoid conceding.

Thirdly, we must look to our attack. Jig, whilst good at bullying a defence and holding the ball up, is slow. On the wings, we have pace in McKay and Temps, and playing just behind Jig, a good passer of the ball in MacLeod, more than capable of threading a through ball for them to run on to. He's also got a good long shot on him should he get right up behind McCulloch. Celtic have very little pace at the back, particularly through the middle. We could counter attack at speed and hit them for six.

Therefore, it's easy to see that should we set our stall out accordingly, we CAN beat Celtic. There is reason for hope and optimism. But it requires the right line up. And the ability to withstand pressure and break at speed.

Alexander

Argyriou Perry Cribari Wallace

Black Hutton

Temps MacLeod McKay

McCulloch

So what do you think?

In a one off cup final,of course we could.

I don't think we would have a chance but stranger things have happened, we would need to be pretty lucky IMO to get a victory. Just use Celtics euro tactics. Put everyone behind the ball and try and score with a corner :lol:

what would those tactics fall under?

A. Heroic defensive display, or

B. Anti-football

As hard it is to admit, perry and cribari just arent good enough to face them. Hegarty may be one day though.

Macleod, i think he'd handle it in midfield, but then again, he is still young and you never know.

Black and hutton, hmmm .... im not too sure.

We'd need jig in midfield or defence as a physical presence. Which leaves us short up front.

As good as templetons been, we cant rely on him solely against the tims.

All in all, i wouldnt put any money on it. But even though we have a MUCH weaker team, it would be a one off old firm, and you just never know.

Our back 4 in the OP would be taken apart and Jig in midfield to do his usual pointing and making the way for the opposition to go for goal would make things worse.At the moment our combination of good footballing playing youngsters, a couple of older heads and others can cope well where we are playing, especially when superior fitness and conditioning kick in, but against an experienced well coached full time outfit I think we would be found lacking.

Just as well our country never took this weak at the knee attitude in 1942, or we would all be speaking German. Give it 2 years then we'll be ready. If you play for Rangers be prepared to put yourself second, and that is the only time second should ever be good enough, ever!

To play for Rangers you have to be a Winner, our history proves it, winning is in our blood, its in our DNA. Rangers are WINNERS, bring it on!

THIS!

So many posters on here have their tongues right up the scums arse.

We're not ready? We are Rangers Football Club, we are always READY. We fear no one and we never shy away from the fight.

Semper fucking Paratus!