***Official Rangers vs East Stirling***

BlueMe

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the best again today, don't know how it looked on tv but Black did hee haw for the team nothing more than a sideway pass passenger.

Last 20 mins seemed like a training game, little urgency or drove about the boys.

Second half was much better but should be doing better against these teams tbh.

We should be thrashing these teams, especially at home.

We've not pressed as a team for a long long time now, not even during Walter's reign iirc. Often been a bug bear of mine. We always seem happy to sit off the oppo, often waiting until they're in the box before finally making a challenge.

That's ok when you have quality at the back to defend and players who can play successfully on the break...at the moment we have a poor squad but compared to our opponents we should be miles ahead....if we push up higher it puts less emphasis on our back line and puts more pressure on our opponents in more attacking areas!

I watched a bit today just after they scored...jig, little and Hutton pressed trying to win the ball back but black and the back four stood back leaving a big gap and lots of space for the ES player who received the pass from the player under pressure...this is a simple thing that could be worked on in training and would help us dictate games better...there should be no excuse from a fitness perspective not to do it!

I'm more than happy to praise ally when it's due and I desperately want to be able to do that more...I do think at times he makes things harder for himself by playing players out of position....what's your take on Naismith at right mid? In a 4-2-3-1...I can see the logic but in a 4-4-2?

I noticed something today as well...we don't press as a team, we do it individually or sometimes in small groups...we need to work on this...get our back line pushed up and put more pressure on the opposition! Thoughts?

Kal: Having been surprised and impressed with his range of passing in the Stirling Albion game I'd say he is more of a midfielder than a forward, add to that we have Little, Jig back, Hemmings, Shiels, Temps in the hole and Sandaza then Kal will have to work bloody hard to get in as a striker. His best bet is to make a name for himself as a RW/RM and grow from there.

Pressing: Quite a few times in the first half I found myself shouting at the TV "High-line!" We need to get the defence higher up the pitch to allow the midfielders to press higher.

That's ok when you have quality at the back to defend and players who can play successfully on the break...at the moment we have a poor squad but compared to our opponents we should be miles ahead....if we push up higher it puts less emphasis on our back line and puts more pressure on our opponents in more attacking areas!

I watched a bit today just after they scored...jig, little and Hutton pressed trying to win the ball back but black and the back four stood back leaving a big gap and lots of space for the ES player who received the pass from the player under pressure...this is a simple thing that could be worked on in training and would help us dictate games better...there should be no excuse from a fitness perspective not to do it!

There's a time for standing off, but there's also a time for pressing- we just never seem to do the latter. We seem, especially at this level, to always afford opponents too much time on the ball. If we could sort out the logistics/communication required for pressing on command, I believe we'd find defending much easier.

I hope Ally is able to bring in some defensive reinforcements in Sept, plus a quality defence coach (tu)

Bet Rangers minus 2 goals, could not believe they could not score another goal.

I still don't know how that Templeton effort didn't go in. I was up and bouncing then bemused to see it loop onto the post. You must have been raging.

I still don't know how that Templeton effort didn't go in. I was up and bouncing then bemused to see it loop onto the post.

I was sure it was in too then saw it bounce off the post. Gutted!

Also, how did Hegarty miss in the first half? If he hadn't tried to cushion it it would have gone in off his thigh!

I was sure it was in too then saw it bounce off the post. Gutted!

Also, how did Hegarty miss in the first half? If he hadn't tried to cushion it it would have gone in off his thigh!

Like Gordon Smith said if he just let it hit him it would have gone in. We could have had a lot more goals today. Story of our season pretty much.

Was sick mate.

Not surprised mate. :beer1: drink up and it won't seem so bad.

Are you being condescending now? :P

Good to see you recognised Ally's managerial ability making the difference today, something plenty have been calling for over the season particularly the last few weeks.

Oh well my credit has to go to Kenny McDowell it seems....il give him genuine, merited praise one day!

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/3480-kenny-tenp-ted-fate

Hope not to see Little out on the left again, there are ways of accomodating Temps in the middle without resorting to shunting Little out of position. Might be controversial, but I think Jig should be put at the back and not up front, we could be doing with a commanding presence back there, and Little has performed well in the lone striker role, with Shiels just behind him.

Also, Ian Black was fucking woeful today, as were the defence.

just back, great day,. Sandy in royal blue back, the 54 minute bouncy all class, not great in the first half better the second still a few times where decision making isnt the best in the final third, still onwards and upwards , brilliant week to be a bear all in all with new sponserships and kit deals and the small matter of our vindication on thursday.

Buzzing :gerbad:

Nice seeing ally use his tactical genius to change a game ;)

Doing his duties correctly, if only thr was as many well done ally threads as thr would have been ally this and that threads if the opposite were to happen today.

Well done ally and the team.

Hope not to see Little out on the left again, there are ways of accomodating Temps in the middle without resorting to shunting Little out of position. Might be controversial, but I think Jig should be put at the back and not up front, we could be doing with a commanding presence back there, and Little has performed well in the lone striker role, with Shiels just behind him.

Also, Ian Black was fucking woeful today, as were the defence.

I thought Little did OK out on the left. OK, he's not a left winger, but he did use his pace well and it allowed him to cut inside.

Agree about Black, he was pretty poor today.

By the way Andy Stirling looks like a good player, and their keeper was decent too. You'd like to think that we have taken note of some of the decent talent in SFL3 and are keeping tabs on some of them.