Jon Daly

Faircity

Signing Daly would be an absolute joke.

We should be looking at bringing in some youngsters that we can put the future of the club in, not someone looking for one last big pay day.

This signing would be a kick in the teeth for the youth set up at the club. In fact the whole youth / coaching set up needs a fresh injection of staff.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen the Falkirk boy Taylor a few times and he is a talent, I honestly thought he would have been picked up in Jan from a SPL club, not seen much of the other boy but those stats from midfield are impressive. They are doing this in divisions above us in squads of lesser quality plus are at an age where they can improve, it's something I'd like to think we are looking at.

I also think these types of young lads will want to impress and give there all instead of older SPL players who clearly are only here for the wages and to be called a Rangers player rather than putting in the effort that a true Rangers has to give.

We are not currently going to be going up to the SPL next season so there is no rush, let's build something at the club.

(tu)

Spot on

Has this been even confirmed our is it just reported we have spoken to him? We had allegedly spoken to so many players that turns out to be nonsense.

If, IF, we are interested in him I will be disappointed in the sense that he is slow, immobile and has no sell on value....Our scouting network really has to improve. Their is a guy playing with Port Vale (his name is Pope which I know would render any deal pointless) who is a player and a goalscorer available on a free this summer....I could give you a list of 20 strikers right now who I would take over Daly that are within our range. Assuming Kyle leaves we would have Little, Jig, Naismith, Hemmings, Sandazza and Daly when Ally tends to play with one main striker. I just think we need to think longer term and build a youthful progressive and mobile team.

There are plenty of decent Players in the Lower English Leagues.

young guys with ambition down there.

Hooper came from Scunny, so they do have them.

Said a couple of pages back that we would be better off going for Nicky Clark from Queen of the South & Lyle Taylor from Falkirk. 21 & 22 years old and have scored 51 goals between them this season, with Clark's goals coming from a midfield position.

Now I'm not going to pretend I've seen them because I haven't, but two players with those stats are the type of players who should have McCoist's ears prickling with interest and they are right under our noses.

Magic, sign a player we've never seen play. My mate scored 22 goals in 11 games at amatuer level last season; we should snap him up aswell.

Magic, sign a player we've never seen play. My mate scored 22 goals in 11 games at amatuer level last season; we should snap him up aswell.

He didn't say sign them but obviously pointing out there are good young players performing at a higher level than us and maybe we should keep options open rather than the last pay day SPL players like Kyle and Daly.

The Falkirk lad I am sure a few have seen play and he is certainly a talent.

As much as I want our youth to cement places in the team this could be a like-for-like swap with Kyle. Big Kevin is just never fit and at the wrong side of 30, Jon Daly may be at the same age but we'd get so much more from him, the man would score a bucket load in Div2. For people saying he's not the kind of player we need, have you seen our set piece play? The height, heading ability and strength Daly holds would boost our game in that respect.

Don't think this will happen though, he seems too influenced by the Utd fans. Would stick it right in them though haha. :000000082:

Aye, but yer mate didn't score 22 in 11 in leagues above us, the two boys DBBTB mentioned have scored upwards of 20 league goals each in higher division.

Aye, but yer mate didn't score 22 in 11 in leagues above us, the two boys DBBTB mentioned have scored upwards of 20 league goals each in higher division.

The fact is he's sayin we should sign someone hes never seen play, based on stats! I he said take a look at them, fair enough.

I'd take him, no doubt about it.

Only now, though. A year-and-a-half ago, I would have been disgusted with the suggestion, but the reality is that John Daly, in the next year or two, would be a big player for us and anyone who seen him bully our defence at Tannadice last month should agree.

He's consistently scored and performed at SPL-level for a number of years now and the added pleasure would be, from three divisions below, taking Dundee United's captain from them.

When we're back in the SPL, hopefully we'll be looking at better players, but between now and then, players like John Daly are exactly what we need because this current squad would struggle in the First Division.

Too old, too slow now and will only get worse.

No sell on value and would only interested in a big club pay day.

I would like other clubs to come and sniff round our own, home-grown talent.

This "chump" would play out his days, with little or nothing to offer after one (and I'm being generous) year.

No.GTF.

A question I would put to anyone happy with this....if we are going to sign guys like daly added to the likes of black, jig, sheils etc who will all be into their 30's by the time we are back in the top flight...where is the long term vision?

If we just sign players to get us out the lower leagues why not sign the best current SFL players at a fraction of the price? If we go out and sign and produce a squad of young players with potential now...give them game experience now, then by the time we are back in the top flight we won't need to spend millions bringing in better players for every position...

I just think a signing like this is so short sighted and raises more concerns regarding our philosophy in terms of transfers and way of playing as we move forward!

Hardly what I'm saying is it? Maybe seems that way, but I'm not at all. All I'm saying is that the club have scouts on the books. They are there to go out and watch players, especially ones on our own doorstep who are showing form which suggests that they are far better than the level they are at just now.

We have let a number of talented youngsters from within Scotland move to England or elsewhere in Scotland because we felt that we were above them. Guys like James McArthur, Craig Conway, Gary McKay-Stevens, Ryan Flynn, Kevin McDonald, Murray Wallace, Tony Watt, Robert Snodgrass & Graham Dorrans would all probably walk in to our team and had we taken a chance on some of them rather than splash money on overpriced, over rated shit then maybe our finances wouldn't have become so bad that the bank had to run the club for two years.

It's not going to hurt to have a look.

Firstly Kyle's contract is up in the summer and Daly is a better player than Kyle so if its a direct replacement then it's not bad.

As for Daly himself he's scored 11 goals in 26 appearances this season and scored 22 in 43 appearances last season so he would certainly do a good job for us in the second division.

People need to accept the fact he's not a world beater does not necessarily mean he's a bad signing. Will he help us win promotion from Div2 if signed and will he assist us in the cup competitions against SPHell sides? The answer to both is yes.

I do accept however we should be focusing on strengthening the backline (tu)