Charles Green set to block Kenny Miller

A non story. I am sure we can think of many players who could enhance our team. However the cost has to fit within the parameters of the business plan.

Whether or not Kenny Miller is the right man for the job, and that is Ally McCoist's territory, only if the terms he is willing to accept fit in with our business plan should he be seriously considered for a return to Ibrox. I would be very concerned by any CEO of Rangers Football Club, who failed to keep budgetary discipline in regards to signing new players. There is always going to be the "big name" signing, that can be used to enhance the Brand and Media interest, ie Gazza- but with no disrespect intended to Kenny Miller is certainly not a big name signing that will have 1000's of fans flocking to stores to by a Rangers top with his name on it.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no quotes so once again I am loathed to believe this story however if it is true I'd like to hope every rangers fan would see the sense in it.....why would we sign a 33 year old striker on big wages whilst we are in the lower leagues? Someone with no resale value and who won't be with us when we get back to the top? In the same article 3 strikers are mentioned added to the 7 attacking players we currently have to play in the system ally favours with one playing deeper the question stands as to why we would want to sign miller?

I liked miller and thought he did a good job for us but he is on the decline and having lost his pace he would be our equilivent of stoke signing Owen...a very expensive sub!

Not Green's biggest fan but I totally agree with him here. However, the scouting is crucial for this strategy and Ally needs support to find the rare diamond that is out there. It also has to be said that coaching is vital too in order that these said players develop into good un's.

This is where I have my doubts with Ally. His mentor Walter Smith was hardly known for developing youth so he can't have learned much about that!

I'd like to think this isn't being used as a power struggle between Green and Ally. I'd imagine Green is fairly curtailed at the moment while this investigation is underway.

He has a point though unless Miller is willing to take a drastic pay cut and a short term deal he shouldn't be signed. No long term offering (tu)

Dont think Miller coming back is the right move ( he would score in that league) but we need to look forward , I also said way , way back that there was a cloak around Green IMO and it would seem this seems to be the case .

I think we are supposed to get the pitchforks and torches out over this one, then fall into line storming Ibrox looking for Green

We don't need to be topping up millers pension plan, so if he genuinely wants back he will have to accept what is offered.

That article is yet another spin against Green

However it has backfired as it shows Chas has tight control of the finances and won't be held to ransom.

It is worrying, if true, that Ally is still looking back to the future.

Alexander wont be here next season

Cribari can't speak a word of English

Goian i doubt will be here next season

Boca, as above despite what he's saying right now

Wallace, granted

Black, not the sort of experience you want imparted on youngsters

Shiels, experienced in being anonymous

Templeton is young and looks it too, more likely to be seen as one of the lads than an experienced player to look up to

Little is 23 and has one full season behind him, you're stretching the idea of experience now

McCulloch, granted

So 2 players , 4 if you ignore my opinions on 2 players, with useful experience likely to be in the squad next season. I'd like to see a player with experience who is still young enough to have an impact when we return to the top tier though and Miller isn't that player.

Your right that we do need experience but was Kenny miller ever really the "leader type"? Just because he is older doesn't nesecarily mean he is the best to advice the younger ones....his style of play was very dependent on pace....if we are going for some experience to compliment the younger players we should be looking at players and positions where age isn't as big a factor....I'm not a fan of daly but he has never relied on pace for his style of play....If we could get an experienced CB like zaliuskas for example and someone like law, who is relatively young but is experienced then I'd be happy with that added to the ones you mentioned....blooding the youngsters is 100% the way to go next year while working on a better style of play.

IF this is true, then green is only sticking to the plan he outlined to the fans, that is, looking towards youth and keeping wages at a reasonable level. We do not need daly or miller to compete in sfl2, particularly of they earn 4grand a week. We should look to further develop little, Naismith, hemmings or look for younger talent that can provide a service then be sold on at a profit. Yes, experience is important but we already have plenty of experience and if we bring in guys at 23 or 24, then surely they would have 2,3 or 4 years experience at that age

Good stuff, Charles clearly knows more about how to take a club forward than McCoist.

Barry Ferguson and Boyd will be next on his list. Why doesnt he just go the whole hog and bring back Hately.

The main reason our defense was so solid in previous seasons was the experience of Davie Weir.

I'm sure Cuellar, Bougherra, Papac, and McGregor had something to do with the quality of our defense as well.

There are also concerns among the coaching staff that a promised increase in the wage budget won’t materialise.

Increase? We should be looking to reduce the wage budget for next year. Alexander going, getting rid of some of the duffers signed last summer, building on this season's youth and more clever acquisitions of young players and players that will have sell-on values. We would have won SFL3 with a fraction of our wage budget, and we should be able to do the same in SFL2.

The OP says Ally is disappointed that the wage budget won't be increased. Really? £7m a year isn't enough to win SFL2? How much money does Ally need to beat part-timers? We'll be back in debt by the time we reach the SPL again FFS!

Kenny Miller is a big NO! We could bring in a 20-30 goal a season striker from the SFL for far less. The lad from QoTS springs to mind.

Gonna stick my head out and say I would take Miller back. He could teach the younger pups a thing or two. However it would need to be on a short term deal and a drastic wage cut. Yes, we should be concentrating on young players but experience is still required in the team.

Have to agree he would do us a turn for two seasons before we hit the SPL.Jig is too slow now,Miller is the ultimate pro.and has looked after himself.I dont think wages would be a problem as he is passed the stage in his career where he command high wages.

I still dont see any young players coming through that you can see any great potential in,apart from Andy Little but he is injury prone,id takr Kenny back.

People kept saying on here that Ally has had a year to scout and will know who he wants to bring in. Ally said himself that he'll scout his own players and attempt to bring in young promising players. Kenny Miller? Jon Daly?

Major backward step if this were to come to pass. I fail to understand Ally's logic if, indeed, he is keen on Miller's return. 33 year old has been, to whom we would be paying big wages - another Sandaza-like signing.

Charles Green set to block Kenny Miller's Rangers comeback

ALLY McCOIST’S hopes of bringing Kenny Miller back to Rangers look set to be killed off by Charles Green.

Express Sport can reveal that the Scotland striker’s representative has held informal discussions over the move with the Ibrox chief executive.

The news is unlikely to improve the strained relationship between Green and McCoist.

Green has made it clear he only wants to sign players who could have a future sell-on value and if they don’t then he isn’t prepared to throw big wages at them.

Miller is under contract with MLS side Vancouver Whitecaps but has stated he would be eager to return to Scotland for family reasons.

Boss McCoist is keen to bring the 33-year-old back for next season’s Second Division push but as it stands a third stint at Ibrox remains unlikely. It would require Miller to take a big wage cut to fit into Green’s strict structure of around £4,000 to £5,000 per week.

He would also have to terminate his Vancouver deal earlier so he could move to Ibrox in September when the SFA transfer embargo is lifted.

“There is no doubt I would come back,” Miller has previously claimed.

“I would definitely do it. It’s whether it could happen.

“Rangers hold a strong place in my heart.”

Miller has had two spells at Ibrox, as well as stints at Hibs, Celtic, Wolves, Derby, Bursaspor and Cardiff City.

Rangers have already verbally agreed a deal to sign Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell for next season.

McCoist has a string of other targets, including Andre Bikey of Middlesbrough, Blackpool defender Craig Cathcart, Dundee United skipper Jon Daly, Motherwell midfielder Nicky Law, Honduran Arnold Peralta and Mexican striker Alan Pulido.

He is keen to tie up deals but things have stalled behind the scenes, with chief scout Neil Murray being forced out the door.

There are also concerns among the coaching staff that a promised increase in the wage budget won’t materialise.

Behind the scene issues have also slowed the process down, and the fear that he wants to reduce his coaching staff, putting the positions of Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant under threat.

http://www.express.c...angers-comeback

McCoist should take a long hard look in the mirror and ask himself if he's doing what is best for Rangers Football Club.

Kenny-fucking-no-sell-on-value-anyway-he's-still-a-fucking-dud-Miller?

Behave yer'self McCoist. (td)

As a manager, I'm not Ally's biggest fan and, to me, Miller is past his sell by date.................but if Ally has a budget and Miller is within this then Green has no place in vetoing deals. Should he be picking the team next?

I think the question I have in this is your use of "if". We do not know any real facts relating to this "story". Therefore I am not sure we should be jumping from this.... to... suggesting CG might be picking the team next. CG has enough to deal with currently.

I do not like these trials via "sources close to" led media stories. If some one is unofficially briefing the media from within Ibrox, I hope they will stop, and further would suggest the Directors need a strong word with any employee doing so.

I have respect for both Ally M and CG, but this leakage to the media whether intentional or otherwise does neither any real credit.