Friday Night Football for Rangers on BT Sport

5cotland

RANGERS could play a number of Second Division matches on Friday nights next term.

It’s understood new broadcasters BT Sport will look to schedule some Gers games and SPL clashes in that slot to maximise their viewing figures.

BT Sport will take over from ESPN at the end of July and have bought the rights to 30 live SPL matches and 10 Gers games.

No other football in the UK is screened on a Friday and that’s why the time slot is so appealing.

A number of SPL clashes – including the Highland derby – were played on a Friday night last term and it was hailed as a success by clubs and TV chiefs.

Police will need to be consulted over the choice of matches involving Rangers but the indications are they have no major concerns.

A few years ago the cops claimed they didn’t want any games played on a Friday night. But the fact Scotland played a World Cup

qualifier against Wales on a Friday back in March showed their stance has changed.

Gers will be under the same umbrella as the SPL clubs next season after SFL teams voted to join a new SPFL set-up at a Hampden meeting last week.

And SPL operations director Iain Blair said: “Bearing in mind we have the new Scotland police force, the view is that Friday night is absolutely not off the agenda.

“They will look at the risk assessment of each match and whatever else is going on in that locality on that particular evening. It is certainly possible you will see Rangers matches on a Friday evening.

“Every game receives a rank and you get low, medium and high risk. Then you have high risk with even more risk expected. There is no chance that you get a high risk match on a Friday night.”

League chiefs also revealed top-flight clubs will be able to choose if they want a winter break next season.

Fixtures will be released for the two weekends when the league was due to shut down between January 3 and 17.

But clubs can choose to take a breather instead and play those matches in midweek on January 22 and 29.

That looks set to cause several bust-ups as the wishes of the home team will be given preference.

But SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster insists the move has been made to appease fans who want to see weekend football.

He said: “We are keen to respond to supporter demand.

“There has been concern about a number of midweek fixtures so the view has been taken that we will schedule games within the two-week period of the winter break in this World Cup year.

“So while clubs will have the ability to move their games, if they wish, from the two weekends that comprise the winter break, when we release the fixture list it will show games in those weekends.

“If the clubs at home wish to re-arrange those games they will go back to the midweek slots that have already been allocated, which are the 22nd and 29th of January.

“The following season we may go back to a full winter break but this year with the condensed season and the view from fans we thought this was the right way.”

More changes will be made to the top flight after the merger with the SFL – and the new nine-man SPFL board will be

ratified on June 27 when all 42 of the member clubs meet.

Doncaster explained the mechanics of the new set-up and said: “The new board will have three independent directors and six will be appointed by the clubs.

“There will be three from top division, two from the next division and one from the bottom two.

“The voting is straight majority – you will have nine people on the board so there shouldn’t be any need for a casting vote on most eventualities.

“A number of key decisions will be made by that board on that day. That will start the process of merging the organisations and deal with the CEO position at that point.”

Doncaster will be considered for that CEO role but wouldn’t be drawn on his future.

He said: “This cannot and must not be an issue about individuals.

“It has to be about what is in the best interests of the game as a whole.

“It would be disrespectful to the new board to be creating any pressure. It’s for them to make a decision about the right people to take the organisation forward.”

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be delighted with that to be honest as it would mean I wouldnt have to rush getting from my own football to the game or to the pub to watch the away games on a Saturday...I appreciate it wouldnt be ideal for those traveling from further afield though you could make a weekend of it I suppose.

The bit at the bottom of that article really just illustrates how crazy and haphazard this new set up is though....embarrassing.

Fucked about so the SPL fannies can make money out of us?

No thanks - our board should be telling them where to go

I'm firing an email off today and I would urge everyone else to do likewise

We will be getting the least money and the most inconvenience from this

Time to make a stand

I'm not in favour of Friday night home games for Rangers. Anything that risks reducing ST sales or match day attendances and match day revenue for Rangers as a sop to media companies and - as more than a by-product - provides cash to SPL clubs and their anarchist SFL 1 money-grabbing clubs is not welcome.

The sooner we are free from the SPL/SFL TV deal the better. I am waiting to hear how Rangers will market its media rights when the deal ends. I am presuming that one way of dealing with those clubs who harmed us is to keep as much TV money away from them as we can by virtue of Rangers games being on TV.

Friday matches would suit me, but I think that the attendances would drop and for that reason I am against it.

I hate Friday and Monday night football .The games are always insignificant .Sat is when our games should be played preferably 3pm but Sunday is the only other decent option .

I'm not in favour of Friday night home games for Rangers. Anything that risks reducing ST sales or match day attendances and match day revenue for Rangers as a sop to media companies and - as more than a by-product - provides cash to SPL clubs and their anarchist SFL 1 money-grabbing clubs is not welcome.

The sooner we are free from the SPL/SFL TV deal the better. I am waiting to hear how Rangers will market its media rights when the deal ends. I am presuming that one way of dealing with those clubs who harmed us is to keep as much TV money away from them as we can by virtue of Rangers games being on TV.

would we have a say in our tv rights under this new set up as we are all now under the same set up? I am against the idea in principal. the fans that travel to games would be taking time off from work etc to travel. a good number would also be looking at added expense for overnight stays although it would save me money as I could do the games with one night away instead of the normal two saving me at least £80. seems just another way off fucking up our progress trying to affect our income on match days and for away games reducing the option of our fans travelling.

police will kybosh this, friday night in arbroath would be fun though

Money talks. Anyway, the new top plod, Sir Stevie Bungalow, will do what his Earl Haig masters tell him. If this suits the Lieswell cabal, then Bungalow Bill will give it the thumbs up.