Ally Wants A Keeper

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See I think if we do sign Gordon (don't think we will) it will be a superb move for the club....a fit craig Gordon is top class and at 30 he still has a good few seasons ahead if him as a keeper. He has spent a year out the game coaching at Dumbarton so he wouldn't command a high wage, he is doing his coaching badges so could be a coaching option for the younger players and he is a model pro who would help push alot of the others....a short term deal or as you say some kind of performance/appearance pay I think would be low risk and could be a master stroke!

Agreed (tu) Having a bit of competition for the no.1 spot can only bring the best out of the 2 keepers you have. Cammy Bell is a good goalkeeper but I would hate for him to become complacent. Like you said, Craig Gordon won't command a high wage, so it makes sense getting him in to provide competition for Bell.

Just been on holiday in the same hotel as Lee Robinson (QOTS last year and former ranger). He said Ally had spoken with him and asked about him joining.. but only IF Neil didn't sign. Would have been great for us, but he has gone to Sweden on a definate offer.

Agree seems fairly obvious. In fact we should be able t give both Gallacher and Smith games in this tier of Scottish football . Creating a problem where none exist.

Smith and Daly in the same team -- we'll have more Irish players than the bheasts :matron:

It's silly.

I can understand wanting to give Bell competition but at the end of the day you have to ask if it's worth spending wages just to keep him on his toes, If he goes off form put one of the other keepers in, no need to bring in an extra body to warm the bench.

The only thing that would make this a good idea IMO is if Ally thinks we can win one of the major cups, we certainly don't need another keeper for this division.

Pay as you play deal on reasonable wages would be OK for Gordon, he is a talented keeper and at one time the most expensive British keeper ever but its a luxury signing and with his injury problems a risky luxury, and another sign of the rapid demise of our Ajax inspired youth oriented football philosophy, if that was ever more than ST sales patter from Ally.

Why do teams give the label of "first choice" to goalkeepers?

There should be no first choice. They should be part of the squad and fight for their place.

Because some players are undoubtedly better than others, ie Jelavic was our first choice striker because he was much better than the others we had or McGregor was better than Alexander so he was our first choice keeper until he shat on us and ran away to a Turkish hellhole.

Because some players are undoubtedly better than others, ie Jelavic was our first choice striker because he was much better than the others we had or McGregor was better than Alexander so he was our first choice keeper until he shat on us and ran away to a Turkish hellhole.

Aye, that's all true but I have to moan about something ffs

Is there a cut off point for when players can be sent out on loan during the season?

Why not play Gallacher during the 1st few games, giving him "Experience" of playing at Ibrox, Playing away games, and maybe even a cup tie

Once Bell is registered and ready to play, loan out Gallacher to get further game experience, and then promote a youth keeper to the bench?

'In an ideal world I would like to sign another goalkeeper because I would like Scott Gallacher to go out and play because at this stage of his career it wouldn’t do him any good just sitting on the bench.'

....and people already have him chucking money down the drain. Reactionary nutters.

ally wants another keeper , ally wants another defender , ally wants another forward , we all know he will have his favorites and no matter how bad they play they will be in the team week in week out , time the board told ally no more signings if we cant win the division with what weve got then your off hire .

So many short memories, McGregor used to be on the bench for us for an awful long time and never got any experience, hell PLG almost released him as he had been on loan, Dunferlime I think it might have been and he got experience there, he came back after that and not too long after he became our no 1.