Our Second Greatest Striker ?

tannerall

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Controversial with tin hat at the ready but I wouldn't necessarily say Super was our greatest striker although it depends on your definition of a striker I suppose. He's by far the greatest Rangers goalscorer I have seen in my lifetime but not the greatest striker.

Technically and overall the likes of Mols, Prso and Jelavic were better strikers in my opinion. Obviously they only did it for a short period of time for us and weren't as clinical in front of goal whereas Super literally scored hundreds for us on an unbelievably consistent basis and in big games too.

I will clarify the above by saying Ally was still a great striker and was far more than just a goalscorer. He's also my second favourite player only to Sir Brian but I personally believe being a striker is not all about scoring goals. Of course it's important to score goals but the role of a striker has evolved so much over the years in my opinion. One of the greatest goalscorers I have ever had the pleasure to see live though and a living legend.

Everything is telling me DJ but I have to go with Boyd, ignored and benched for important games he still managed to do it for us. Mug to leave us, but what can you do if you are offered a crap deal.

DJ, should have and could have, the supply from the wings by the likes of Johnston. McLean, Cooper, even Cutty Young and Bobby McKean would have supplied hundreds of goals, but imo he blew it by growing a big head and wanting to be a centre half/club captain.

Boyd scored goals, simples, what else do you want from a striker ? Don't see Messi backtracking and tackling back too often during a game.

Coisty was better technically than some give him credit for. Some of his goals were technically outstanding. Could beat a man from time to time as well.

Boyd was the most natural goalscorer I've ever seen in a blue Jersey, you gave him a goal scoring opportunity and nine times out of ten it was in the back of the net whilst others like McCoist had to work for their goals. If he had a better work ethic he'd have been unstoppable.

Coisty was better technically than some give him credit for. Some of his goals were technically outstanding. Could beat a man from time to time as well.

His vision, timing, and his understanding with Hateley for that goal at Elland Road. :praise:

His vision, timing, and his understanding with Hateley for that goal at Elland Road. :praise:

Yeah. Some of the goals in the second half of this video bring back memories. Some of the lesser seen goals in run of the mill games that nonetheless bring back great memories of his talent.

What a character!!

Very difficult to gauge this, unless you go on statistics, it is a wee bit unfair on all the great strikers that we weren't privileged to see.

Best way I can answer is with my own personal favourites from those I have seen in the flesh:

Colin stein,

Michael Mols

Derek Parlane

Have to agree with an earlier post that Ally although our greatest goalscorer is probably not our greatest striker. Boyd probably the most natural of all the strikers I've seen...

More than McCoist? Not even in the same ballpark for me.