Our Second Greatest Striker ?

tannerall

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mates Dad swears DJ was better than McCoist, his argument being that DJ didn't take penalties. In my time watching Rangers it's easily big Hateley.

Did your mates dad tell what demands DJ made in order to re-sign for us? He was an arsehole of a man, not your friends dad, DJ.

Did your mates dad tell what demands DJ made in order to re-sign for us? He was an arsehole of a man, not your friends dad, DJ.

Nah, he had whole different stories about why he was an arse :lol: Doesn't change how good he was though.

But how many actually scored more than Boyd?

But how many actually scored more than Boyd?

Probably all of them. McPhail, Smith and DJ definitely and Hateley was a million times better than Boyd. I'd take Mols, Jelavic and big Dado over Boyd as well.

Just a wee bit before my time but my Grandfather said that Jimmy Fleming was the bees knees and when you check his record you might have to agree with him. 223 goals in 268 games - Most Scottish Cup goals scored by a Rangers player (44) he also holds the record for most goals in a single match (9 goals) against Blairgowrie in the Scottish Cup.

As an aside, he played for Scotland 4 times, scoring 3 goals...pretty impressive.

We can't really say who our second greatest (or greatest) striker was because different era/different rules regarding offside etc/ different team formations make it impossible to compare strikers,even when statistics might tell a different story.

In my lifetime with players I have actually seen on the pitch, I would have to give notable mention to (in no particular preference) to Willie Thornton, Billy Simpson, Ralph Brand, Max Murray, Jim Forrest, Mr McCoist MBE, Marco Negri, Jimmy Millar.

Ralph Brand was a goal machine in his day.

Boyd was a better striker than Ally in my opinion.

Amato was the most skilful of any strikers we have had although not particularly prolific.

Ooft. Sacrilege. All consistently scored a higher standard of goal than Boyd. All was more mobile, had a better touch, was technically sound (unlike Boyd) and did it consistently in big games far more than Boyd. Ally was much better. It's not even a close call IMO! Ally was more influential on the pitch and in the dressing room as well.