Generic Gaming thread (formerly known as the PS4 Thread)

Iakona

17 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

The Last of Us? Aye the second one was fantastic I didn't get the weird backlash to the story.

I admit, I got caught up in the backlash - heard it was "diversity virtue signalling" or some such and didn't get it despite loving the first one on PS3. It was a really busy time for me too so that was probably a factor, I didn't play any games during that period.

I'm thinking of getting it now that it's been remastered - although I have Death Stranding Director's Cut cued up too in the theme of epic games.

33 minutes ago, Assegai said:

I admit, I got caught up in the backlash - heard it was "diversity virtue signalling" or some such and didn't get it despite loving the first one on PS3. It was a really busy time for me too so that was probably a factor, I didn't play any games during that period.

I'm thinking of getting it now that it's been remastered - although I have Death Stranding Director's Cut cued up too in the theme of epic games.

Best way to enjoy anything these days is just ignore any virtue signalling claims. If it’s true, it’ll be shite anyway and you’ll turn it off. Having a gay character in things is only a big deal to mentalists. If it makes sense and the story is good it’ll have a point.

People would claim that GTA San Andreas was evidence of replacement theory nowadays.

11 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Best way to enjoy anything these days is just ignore any virtue signalling claims. If it’s true, it’ll be shite anyway and you’ll turn it off. Having a gay character in things is only a big deal to mentalists. If it makes sense and the story is good it’ll have a point.

People would claim that GTA San Andreas was evidence of replacement theory nowadays.

Thank you.

TLOU2 was a good game, but not as good as the first I don’t think.

Didn't bother me in the slightest that Ellie was gay, but found the second half a bit of a slog when all I wanted to do was kill the cow that killed Joe :lol:

End was thought provoking, but a little disappointing.

Will talk about it more when @Marky. is done. 

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Didn't bother me in the slightest that Ellie was gay, but found the second half a bit of a slog when all I wanted to do was kill the cow that killed Joe :lol:

Look forward to it! None of my friends seem to have played it so my chat is wasted. It’s like most my friends and wrestling dare I mention. Just vent on here instead!

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

There's no multilayer on this one eh? Was disappointed as the multilayer on the first one was not bad.

Did anyone play the xcom games? I fucking loved xcom 2 and do at least one play through every year of it

I bought Marvels Midnight suns recently as it was on sale, loosely based on the same ideas as xcom etc, was surprisingly good given its a card game, graphics, voice acting etc are really good and given the RNG of drawing cards it makes every battle more tactical than you'd think

On 01/02/2024 at 18:22, Marky. said:

Good fun, much like the first one. Hard to really get deep into it. That’s my own fault though. I bought it cheap to tide me over until TLOA2 came out remastered as I’ve still never played it.

Hooked so far. Can’t play it for hours on end though, it’s heavy.

I got it on the Saturday afternoon after it came out and finished it on the Monday morning. The joys of the lockdown :lol:

5 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Did anyone play the xcom games? I fucking loved xcom 2 and do at least one play through every year of it

I bought Marvels Midnight suns recently as it was on sale, loosely based on the same ideas as xcom etc, was surprisingly good given its a card game, graphics, voice acting etc are really good and given the RNG of drawing cards it makes every battle more tactical than you'd think

I've got it but still not played, heard great things though. Loved XCOM 1 but I've never played the second.

5 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

I've got it but still not played, heard great things though. Loved XCOM 1 but I've never played the second.

Xcom 2 plus all the DLC is an absolutely cracking game, midnight suns is kinda like it with battles etc but different enough that you dont match them up, i think midnight suns is more tactical in how you approach your turns etc, 

Ive almost platinumed midnight suns and no doubt will do a full play through later this year lol 

12 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

I need to try TLOU 2 again, especially as the remastered or whatever for ps5 is down to a tenner, 

I just couldnt get into it at first cause id did the first game and iirc had done a tomb raider game as well so the crafting and sneaking about etc has worn me out

did you finish the first game? the second is a continuation of that

On 02/02/2024 at 19:10, graeme_4 said:

Okay, so I’ve just come up to a bit that’s taken me 4 years earlier 👀. Might I assume this is the halfway point which pissed a few people off too?

2 hours ago, Somemightsay7 said:

No they're not :lol:

It’s obviously just Reddit rumours at the moment. But it’s actually not outwith the realms of possibility to be fair to the original poster. 

It’s been public knowledge that there’s people at Microsoft who believe the Xbox game division in its current state is a massive and unsustainable drain on resources. The Xbox division, particularly games pass has been falling short of company targets for quite some time now. They are haemorrhaging money across the board - marquee titles such as Forza and Starfield have made next to no difference.

They are literally giving their games away and they still can’t compete with Sony right now. Which isn’t great given software sales are how Microsoft and Sony offset the low profit margins from hardware sales. Heck it’s not unusual for consoles to be sold at a loss for the first few years…

I don’t think they will completely exit the hardware market… however the series x very well could be the last traditional games console that Microsoft release. I wouldn't be surprised if the next “console” is a digital streaming box. If you want to play the games locally you can buy them on PlayStation or PC.

1 hour ago, Iakona said:

It’s obviously just Reddit rumours at the moment. But it’s actually not outwith the realms of possibility to be fair to the original poster. 

It’s been public knowledge that there’s people at Microsoft who believe the Xbox game division in its current state is a massive and unsustainable drain on resources. The Xbox division, particularly games pass has been falling short of company targets for quite some time now. They are haemorrhaging money across the board - marquee titles such as Forza and Starfield have made next to no difference.

They are literally giving their games away and they still can’t compete with Sony right now. Which isn’t great given software sales are how Microsoft and Sony offset the low profit margins from hardware sales. Heck it’s not unusual for consoles to be sold at a loss for the first few years…

I don’t think they will completely exit the hardware market… however the series x very well could be the last traditional games console that Microsoft release. I wouldn't be surprised if the next “console” is a digital streaming box. If you want to play the games locally you can buy them on PlayStation or PC.

My reply was more towards Microsoft just becoming a publisher. Xbox gaming just overtook Windows in revenue and they just invested $60-odd billion in Activision. Microsoft are making gaming a priority more than any other time in their history. 

Microsoft's priority right now is game pass customer acquisition, which they're succeeding at. Gaming will move towards a cloud based service and they're miles ahead of everyone else in this regards. Buying individual games and running them at home locally will go the way of blockbuster at some point.

I agree consoles will change and eventually become streaming first, but that will happen because Microsoft own the entire gaming infrastructure that any game can run on, not because they are a publisher or they don't think they can compete. Xbox will eventually just be an app on your TV like Netflix and Sony will be forced to go the same way so as not to fall behind.

Sony are obviously ahead right now, but I do think Microsoft is better set up to succeed over the next 5-10 years. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, CR3 said:

be refreshing if this wasn’t other film adaptation of a game that is complete guff, but I’m not sure I’ve much hope.

IMG_9453.jpeg

Not really bothered at all about all the Sony films based on games tbh.

I, naturally, have started The Last of Us now though... which is very good.

Just now, Marky. said:

Not really bothered at all about all the Sony films based on games tbh.

I, naturally, have started The Last of Us now though... which is very good.

Aye TV series might have a better record, hopefully Fallout is alright.

The original battlefront and battlefront 2 coming to ps4/5 march 14, 26 quid, don't think theres much upgrade to graphics etc, however, the ability to play galactic conquest again will likely see me buying it as i absolutely loved that game mode, planet battles and space battles were unreal, especially when you landed a troop transporter on the opposing ship in space and it became a spawn point so you could attack the ship from within