Quintessential British club - in an independent Scotland?

Paul Ignotus

You make it sound more like a penal colony than independance. They'll be putting fences up to keep people in, a bit like an independant North Korea.

Even my detractors would struggle to interpret what I said I that way - you must have worked really hard to be so stupid or does it come naturally?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet your heroes in the Scottish executive wasted 20k of public money to avoid the truth coming out.

Only last week sturgeon dodged the issue on radio 4.

Gnats. Liars from the cradle to the grave.

VOTE NO FOR FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY AND TRUTH.

As I suggested to BP9 earlier M I do think this was a watershed moment in the campaign (even though it had not even started in earnest). It exposed Salmond as someone who was a stranger to the truth - something I would say up to that point he had managed to avoid.

The SNP's conduct trying to suppress the FOI request only provided further evidence of their guilt in this matter.

Their continual assertion that Scotland will be guaranteed a place in Europe - given the comments and observations of foreign ministers outside this country and outside this debate - is quite simply an insult to the intelligence of the Scottish people.

As I suggested to BP9 earlier M I do think this was a watershed moment in the campaign (even though it had not even started in earnest). It exposed Salmond as someone who was a stranger to the truth - something I would say up to that point he had managed to avoid.

The SNP's conduct trying to suppress the FOI request only provided further evidence of their guilt in this matter.

Their continual assertion that Scotland will be guaranteed a place in Europe - given the comments and observations of foreign ministers outside this country and outside this debate - is quite simply an insult to the intelligence of the Scottish people.

I honestly think they're past the point of caring that they are proven liars. They seem to think there is more to be gained by continuing the lies in the hope that some might believe them, than there is in telling the truth.

You can see from responses on here that the lies have done nothing to deter their supporters, so I guess they're thinking they have nothing to lose by continuing wih their fairy tales.

OK, I'll say it.

Wee Soapy Salmond is a fucking liar. So is his sidekick Pancake-face Nicola. So is their Justice guy, Kenny McLiesalotstill. It is a party filled with fucking liars. They wouldn't know the truth if it walked up and slapped them on the face with a wet fish......and that's us back to Soapy again (see what I did there?)

I honestly think they're past the point of caring that they are proven liars. They seem to think there is more to be gained by continuing the lies in the hope that some might believe them, than there is in telling the truth.

You can see from responses on here that the lies have done nothing to deter their supporters, so I guess they're thinking they have nothing to lose by continuing wih their fairy tales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-21195630

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-21602456

Oops Nicola has changed her mind....

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/snp-u-turn-over-eu-membership-for-independent-scotland.20357002

Silly question perhaps but would the Queen still be the queen of Scotland as she is now?

Would we not just be part of the commonwealth but still independant?

Bit cheeky of Salmond to host the commonwealth games, fill the bheasts pockets with the regeneration of that shitehole and then fuck off

Independace,pffff what a cheeky wee fat bastard

Biting the hand that made this country what it is today, a unionised Island that is the UK

We benefit from them like they benefit from us

I'd imagine the Union Jack would still fly high just like they fly the tri colour in support for our Jon

I think you will find it was the Labour party in Glasgow who applied and planned the games, and laid out which of the stadiums would be used and what for.

We got fucking rugby! says it all

Voting yes with confidence

WATP

I believe that in an Independent Scotland , Freedom Of Speech would be restricted to those who don't agree or not on the side of Nat's as Nationalism is basically a smaller form of fascism and we could see a form of government to that Hitlers should the Nat's take full control of this country

The SNP will play on the Catholic vote. It is the duty for Protestants who aren't involved in the SNP to vote no and save Scotland from tyranny.

The main SNP vote comes from the Protestant heartlands of the Highlands and Islands. Real Protestants that actually have faith and go to church.

I'll be voting no purely for fiscal reasons but certainly not out of loyalty to an inheritantly very rich woman who really doesn't give a flying fuck about you.

I believe that in an Independent Scotland , Freedom Of Speech would be restricted to those who don't agree or not on the side of Nat's as Nationalism is basically a smaller form of fascism and we could see a form of government to that Hitlers should the Nat's take full control of this country

I am firmly in the NO camp, but that is simply not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Getting back to the OP, I'm not entirely sure how deeply rooted this "British identity" business really is.

Above all, Rangers are a Scottish Club, we play in the Scottish League and have proudly represented Scotland in many a European foray. We have contributed more players to the international set-up than any other Club and our fans (at least historically) have made up the bulk of the Scotland support. Even the Club Crest has a Lion Rampant.

The Union Jack-waving always seemed to me a good way of antagonising the Tims and expressing support for our Ulster brethern. It certainly did not mean that we are a monolithic political block of one nation Tory types who would like to see Scotland subsumed into North Britain.

The idea that your credentials as a Rangers fan are somehow dependent upon (or even remotely related to) your views on independence is ridiculous and embarrassing and only succeeds in highlighting the paucity of positive arguments in the No camp.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh fucking dear

:lol: :lol:

Getting back to the OP, I'm not entirely sure how deeply rooted this "British identity" business really is.

Above all, Rangers are a Scottish Club, we play in the Scottish League and have proudly represented Scotland in many a European foray. We have contributed more players to the international set-up than any other Club and our fans (at least historically) have made up the bulk of the Scotland support. Even the Club Crest has a Lion Rampant.

Thotland?e Union Jack-waving always seemed to me a good way of antagonising the Tims and expressing support for our Ulster brethern. It certainly did not mean that we are a monolithic political block of one nation Tory types who would like to see Scotland subsumed into North Britain.

The idea that your credentials as a Rangers fan are somehow dependent upon (or even remotely related to) your views on independence is ridiculous and embarrassing and oned to seek the best ly succeeds in highlighting the paucity of positive arguments in the No camp.

Thanks for the reply to the OP but by the same argument is waving the tricolour and singing certain songs just a way of winding up the Bears with no deeper significance? Or is there a deep rooted attachment there to an identity that goes beyond Scotland? And if that's the case surely the British identity is just as valid? And the one nation tories were the good guys of that party, as they wanted to bridge the gaps between all social classes in Victorian times.

The Union Jack-waving always seemed to me a good way of antagonising the Tims and expressing support for our Ulster brethern. It certainly did not mean that we are a monolithic political block of one nation Tory types who would like to see Scotland subsumed into North Britain.

The idea that your credentials as a Rangers fan are somehow dependent upon (or even remotely related to) your views on independence is ridiculous and embarrassing and only succeeds in highlighting the paucity of positive arguments in the No camp.

Was that some long winded way of saying being a strong unionist makes you a Tory? Not that I really think there's anything that bad about being a Tory but it's a ridiculous kind of thing to claim, one political party/side doesn't lay claim to unionism. And feeling strongly about British identity doesn't mean you want Scotland to be a region of England either as you seem to suggest, you can appreciate Scotland's unique identity at the same time. While this may have become a cliche you can absolutely be proudly Scottish and proudly British, so it's really a load of nonsense to say that because Rangers have Scottish identity the British identity is somehow fake.

While there probably is an element of winding up Celtic fans it isn't just a bit of flag waving at games against them. There's all kinds of British flags and banners as well as songs at every game. The club uses the Union Jack in official capacities, we have the Loving Cup ceremony, the picture of the Queen in the dressing room and other things that just aren't springing to my mind right away.

Rangers Football Club has a clear British identity whether you like it or not, it's not just some wee thing to wind up the tims.

Was that some long winded way of saying being a strong unionist makes you a Tory? Not that I really think there's anything that bad about being a Tory but it's a ridiculous kind of thing to claim, one political party/side doesn't lay claim to unionism. And feeling strongly about British identity doesn't mean you want Scotland to be a region of England either as you seem to suggest, you can appreciate Scotland's unique identity at the same time. While this may have become a cliche you can absolutely be proudly Scottish and proudly British, so it's really a load of nonsense to say that because Rangers have Scottish identity the British identity is somehow fake.

While there probably is an element of winding up Celtic fans it isn't just a bit of flag waving at games against them. There's all kinds of British flags and banners as well as songs at every game. The club uses the Union Jack in official capacities, we have the Loving Cup ceremony, the picture of the Queen in the dressing room and other things that just aren't springing to my mind right away.

Rangers Football Club has a clear British identity whether you like it or not, it's not just some wee thing to wind up the tims.

I agree with a lot of what you say but The queen is not a symbol of unionism - post independence she will still be the Scots queen ( as well)

I agree with a lot of what you say but The queen is not a symbol of unionism - post independence she will still be the Scots queen ( as well)

Yes, for about five minutes till it goes to a vote in the new Scottish parliament. It's only kid-on SNP policy to try to get people on-side. They don't mean it and they probably wouldn't be in power for long anyway.

I did have a post typed about Queen Nicola, with Lorraine Kelly waiting in the wings if Nicola's secret ever came out, but then I realised I was better than that... :pipe:

Wait a minute now don't be having a go at Lorraine that's just cheap ! She is a national treasure, just like Chick Young ... Oh wait !! Fk !!