Ryan Gauld

G.E.C.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way Mackay-Steven was being hyped by the media a few years back he should currently be at Barca or Real. Let's face it - players in this country are overhyped most of the time. And it doesn't do those players any good. Most of these big clubs that are reportedly linked with players like this are probably not.

And what if a scout from one of these big clubs does go and watch him play? Not really a big deal. There are scouts from these clubs watching loads of young players at games all over Britain and abroad every week.

In the unlikely event he is picked up by one of these big clubs, then what next? The only 2 I can think of are Liam Miller to Man Utd and Danny Wilson to Liverpool. And look that how went for both of them.

The way Mackay-Steven was being hyped by the media a few years back he should currently be at Barca or Real. Let's face it - players in this country are overhyped most of the time. And it doesn't do those players any good. Most of these big clubs that are reportedly linked with players like this are probably not.

And what if a scout from one of these big clubs does go and watch him play? Not really a big deal. There are scouts from these clubs watching loads of young players at games all over Britain and abroad every week.

In the unlikely event he is picked up by one of these big clubs, then what next? The only 2 I can think of are Liam Miller to Man Utd and Danny Wilson to Liverpool. And look that how went for both of them.

You've obviously never seen Jamie Ness in action for Stoke! :pipe:

He's his own player, how his career pans out will depend on whether he's good enough, not the fact that Liam Miller and Danny Wilson weren't. He looks a talented player, at 17 he's performing fantastically and creating the majority of chances for Dundee United but there's no guarantees about where he'll peak and these clubs are will be paying for potential. Sometimes the gamble works out.

He has made about 15 to 20 first team appearances, the sensible thing would be to let him get this season and next season under his belt and see how he is progressing.

Wilson should have stayed with us another season, but circumstances dictated otherwise. I suspect Dundee Hibs need to cash in on Gauld to keep themselves afloat.

point being Sunderland are his level.. He would never make it at a big club.. Gauld is exactly the same.

Bit early to say that about Gauld.

Chances are he won't become the player he is hyped up to be but you never know. Madrid watching Feltcher was hilarious though :lol:

He's his own player, how his career pans out will depend on whether he's good enough, not the fact that Liam Miller and Danny Wilson weren't. He looks a talented player, at 17 he's performing fantastically and creating the majority of chances for Dundee United but there's no guarantees about where he'll peak and these clubs are will be paying for potential. Sometimes the gamble works out.

It's not really a question of the fact he is talented which he obviously is. The reason behind mentioning Miller and Wilson is to highlight the problem with a young player moving to a large club of this kind - lets face it he's not going to get a game for Juventus or Manchester United. Precedent shows its not a good career move - regardless of your potential. He should get a move to as big a club as he can where he continues to play regular first team football.

Are all these youngsters just, to some degree, looking deceptively good, given the financial downsizing and its retrograde effect on the standard of player they're competing with? Is there not also a bit of "Scottish football is thriving" propaganda to pander to a few agendas?

I'm pretty sure that within six months we'll hear more about his going off form, but still having proven himself and his star will never soar so high again. After that he'll be one of those that are spoken of as having faltered for a few years, but still with some level of expectation. Then again, there are those who still believe that Eion Jess will soon fulfil his potential.

Gauld, Souttar & Robertson were all watched by Everton & Liverpool at the weekend with Robertson being reported as the one they were watching. How did we not manage to identify his potential when we played them last year?

Also scouts from Man Utd, Man City, Cardiff, Wigan, QPR & Roma at the game too.

Gauld, Souttar & Robertson were all watched by Everton & Liverpool at the weekend with Robertson being reported as the one they were watching. How did we not manage to identify his potential when we played them last year?

Also scouts from Man Utd, Man City, Cardiff, Wigan, QPR & Roma at the game too.

It’s terrifying to think we are missing out on talent like this under our own nose, now if those club know about the lad then what have we been doing?

Same when the young lad from Hamilton (I know he probably wouldn’t have came here nor would a large majority want him) but he was a raw talent and now playing in the EPL.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot here.

It’s terrifying to think we are missing out on talent like this under our own nose, now if those club know about the lad then what have we been doing?

Same when the young lad from Hamilton (I know he probably wouldn’t have came here nor would a large majority want him) but he was a raw talent and now playing in the EPL.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot here.

I agree completely.

People always talk about having a scouting system that's scours Asia, Africa, Central America & the old eastern block for talent but that shouldn't become a priority until we improve out ability to identify the talent on our own doorstep first.

I agree completely.

People always talk about having a scouting system that's scours Asia, Africa, Central America & the old eastern block for talent but that shouldn't become a priority until we improve out ability to identify the talent on our own doorstep first.

Indeed.

We have become too used to being able to raid clubs once the players start to shine and become regulars because of our standing in Scottish football.

The problem now is that English clubs (championship especially) now have more resources and can afford to have boys on 5-10K a week on the bench and find it well worth the risk.

I don’t think we can afford to let these clubs get a step ahead of us, we are based here so we should have our men looking all around our clubs to find out who looks to be a stand out and take it from there. I don’t see much proof of that happening (not just now but even before administration)

Indeed.

We have become too used to being able to raid clubs once the players start to shine and become regulars because of our standing in Scottish football.

The problem now is that English clubs (championship especially) now have more resources and can afford to have boys on 5-10K a week on the bench and find it well worth the risk.

I don’t think we can afford to let these clubs get a step ahead of us, we are based here so we should have our men looking all around our clubs to find out who looks to be a stand out and take it from there. I don’t see much proof of that happening (not just now but even before administration)

Yet again I agree completely. I don't really have much to add to that :lol: