Were We Naive In The Summer 2012?

I have enjoyed our journey though the lower leagues, just wish i has been able to go to more away games.

Next season in the Championship should be more exciting and competitive.

The journey ?? It's been a journey but if anyone can truly say its been enjoyable then for me they havnt experienced too much of what this Amazing club has brought to so many Rangers in the past .To appreciate the good you have to experience the bad .For me it's about as bad as it gets .I honestly think if I wasnt such a big bluenose I'd give up watching footy after watching this team under Ally .Its turgid at best and horrific at best .Circumstances aside the football quality on show would get football stopped IMO .I will renew this year and every other year as that is what you do if you love the club .No matter .However it doesn't mean you have to like it ..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accept that some of the youth might not be World beaters as it stands but some of these guys have shown signs of being more than capable of holding their own - if given the right amount of game time and coaching.

Signing Smith, Foster, Daly & Simonsen were not what we needed, in my opinion. The wages that these guys are on could have been put to good use by signing the cream of Scottish youth and developing them with a new coaching team.

Out of those four players, only Daly has been playing and although he has done a great job, it has been pointed out that one of our kids is now top goalscorer in the Championship - we let him go!

I wont argue on Foster, Smith and Simonsen thats for sure, Dalys been better than expected but not a long term option and Kane Hemmings has done great for Cowdenbeath but he needed to leave us to fulfil his promise as quite a few players sometimes do, not just at Rangers but other clubs too, thats just football

I wont argue on Foster, Smith and Simonsen thats for sure, Dalys been better than expected but not a long term option and Kane Hemmings has done great for Cowdenbeath but he needed to leave us to fulfil his promise as quite a few players sometimes do, not just at Rangers but other clubs too, thats just football

I'd have a spine of experience in the team, so Bell, Jig, Black and Daly were no brainers for me. The likes of Simonsen, foster and smith are mind boggling signings.

Ally appealing for calm amongst the support and for patience with his younger players wouldn't have went amiss either.

I'd have a spine of experience in the team, so Bell, Jig, Black and Daly were no brainers for me. The likes of Simonsen, foster and smith are mind boggling signings.

Ally appealing for calm amongst the support and for patience with his younger players wouldn't have went amiss either.

if Ally had come out at the start of last season and told us he was going with a more youthfull team and that it might take time and some bad results to get it right but he would ensure we got promoted no matter what but he wanted to do it the right way without signing too many players, i think most of us would have accepted that, we would even have understood we were likely to take some heavy beatings in the cups by spl teams as long as we were moving forward. Instead we brought in guys like Kyle, Sandaza, Fran Stella (remember him) Argyriou and the likes who did nothing and we still took two batterings in the cups from DU and ICT.

I personally wanted England in the Northern Prem.

Think of the revenue for a wee FA Cup run and I believe our revenue would have been bigger even at that level.

Imagine the tv interest of Rangers even playing a Team like Accrington Stanley or Blyth Spartans.

Couple that with better opposition and I believe Rangers would have been box office.

Even at that level.

But we have missed that boat and I personally think that's the Route we should have gone.

Oh how I would have loved to have seen the Mhanks, and Scottish Mhedia Faces as we waved goodbye with 2 Fingers.

Don't think we could foresee the off field shambles.

We certainly pay over the odds for mediocre players (and coaches)and we have to make cuts now.

But I've never shared the dream that we would have a team of 11 young superstars playing exciting attractive football.

Sadly, I don't think there are that many good young players out there.

Experienced players with a few young players coming through at best.

I think the theory of a young talented team progressing over the years is fantastic but in practice it really is just a fantasy. Your also spot on in the fact the young players just aren't there. People will now bang on about this ethos for years to come but it's now dead in the water and we can't keep looking back and thinking 'what could have been'.

I think the theory of a young talented team progressing over the years is fantastic but in practice it really is just a fantasy. Your also spot on in the fact the young players just aren't there. People will now bang on about this ethos for years to come but it's now dead in the water and we can't keep looking back and thinking 'what could have been'.

Rubbish. We could have had a spine in the team of Bell, Jig, Black and Daly surround with the likes of Aird, Templeton, Mcloed, Clarke and little.

Decent side with a good range of experience and youth. That was all that was asked for. No-one expected a team full of wonder kids.

We certainly don't deserve fucking Ricky Foster or Stevie Smith. I'd rather watch youth playing like shite for peanuts than pay those 2 a wage for the same shite.

most of the fans are not enjoying the journey back , and are venting their anger at anything and everything Ally being the number 1 release of frustration and anger a long with legends ex managers you name it we are blaming everything and everyone ,

McCoist deserves the blame.

To say we and the people at the top were naive is the understatement of the century Brother ! But even in hindsight I wouldn't have it any other way, we owe nobody nothing, not one favour, every man jack of them tried to kill us with assist from mhedia scum. I look forward to these bastards ruing the day they ever fcuked with The Establishment Club. And that day will come Brothers sooner than they think !

We were not getting into anything. We were already there. The first year was much more fun than this year especially at the beginning when I'm sure most of us believed Charles Green when he said he was here till we were back in europe. This year the football has been mince with no excuses. We had a poor start last year, a good middle and faded towards the end. This year we are just crunching out results to get where we are going without any entertainment.

Having moved to the north of England I have not managed up to many games so my ST seat has been mostly vacant. Maybe next year I will deliberately go for one of the seats with a bad view as I'm unlikely to get to the games much. I will be at Ibrox if we get the chance to win the league at home of course.

The only game I look forward to is the Ramsdens final. My son-in-law is a Raith fan.

I think I was naive in what our support as a whole actually thought/wanted.

By this I mean I was all for 'let's redesign Rangers working as a club to actually be the Ajax type system that's been long fabled'. Yet I look at our reaction to last season and this season and I ask myself, when will our support be ready to accept our club being run on a sound financial footing and for our club having to fight it out against teams we consider to be dross? There is still a good number of people who think our level of spending is part of the course and some can't accept winning everything if it's not pretty, others won't accept good football if we drop points anywhere etc etc. Essentially I'm saying we can't do the radical overhaul of the clubs footballing/business philosophy because we just will not accept the length of time it will take and the baron spells which go with such a procedure. We accepted overpriced victory grudgingly, a baron spell struggling as we grow while being financially competent just wouldn't be tolerated.

We as a support need to decide what we will support and ask the club to do it, then actually back the club in doing so. As things stand I reckon we'll buy our way back into the SPFL then it's going to be running at costs which make both the football and the chances of success, dire. We could be 3 years into this transition on our return to the SPFL and currently we will be back there and we won't even have started. It's going to come as a shock to the support when it happens as ultimately it's the only viable way forward for us to proceed as a business.

It's only now I realise just what a big daunting task it would have been to implement for any board at this club, it's only now I really question if our support has the stomach for it all.

We do have a lot of Glory hunters in amongst us then.

Nothing like a bit of Adversity to get back to basics.

McCoist deserves the blame.

that post just proves or confirms your anti Ally agenda nothing more...there has been a stack of negatives since we moved to DIV 3 poor opposition with negative tactics , we have had to drop in our standard of players ,not what our support have been used to , hatchet men targeting any sign of us playing football ,a lack of decent opposition or competition , and the absence of the scum to let of steam ,

and of course some piss poor performances , a shambles at board level , our support fighting or arguing with each other , i had to separate 2 guys in the North stand Ayr over the board nonsense .

to blame Ally for this shambles is idiotic ....

i was naive thinking that the fans and the management would learn from the past mistakes of spending a fortune to win pocket money

i still cannot believe that we will have spent the best part of 15 million quid to win 2 part time leagues and a fucking ramsdens cup (should we win that of course)

after sitting watching us spend silly money and get into the shit 5 years ago, the management team and a massive section of the fans seemed to think we could do it all again playing in leagues that are worth even less than we were in before

imo our journey back to the top has been an absolute embarrassment from the minute we kicked off against peterhead last season

I'm not so sure about whether or not there was level of naivety about last year. But with hindsight I would have preferred that a much stronger effort was made to be placed into the then Div 1. The journey from the basement back to the top risks leaving us uncompetitive when we do get there. And handing titles to the other lot year after year in a league where there is no real contest to them will be grating to say the least. At least in Div 1 we'd have had a chance of fighting back to the top more quickly where the current journey just puts money in the coffers of the other lot and the experience of year after year of european football that we are now denied. So it might not have been naive as such and maybe there was nothing more that Green and company could have done to secure a Div 1 slot, but in a way it seems now looking back that we may have accepted it too readily. It's just a view.

The other area where it may have been much closer to naivety is the decision not to cut the people infrastructure at that time. Running on as though nothing had changed and in the laudable hope that retaining that infrastructure would serve us well when we returned to the top looks to be a misplaced decision now that cuts really are going to have to be made. Clearly that would not have been good news for employees at Ibrox but who knows whether the cuts now needed would have to be deeper and harder hitting than had they been made a year ago. We'll never really know the answer to that one but at the time the decision not to make any cuts as part of the first steps to recovery looked to be a decision made more out of hope than recognition of the realities of years of fighting our way back to the top with a top flight infrastrucutre still in place.

As I say, just views. And the most imporant thing is how the CEO and Board can drive the Club forward and how Ally and the squad can deliver the promotions back to the top.

that post just proves or confirms your anti Ally agenda nothing more...there has been a stack of negatives since we moved to DIV 3 poor opposition with negative tactics , we have had to drop in our standard of players ,not what our support have been used to , hatchet men targeting any sign of us playing football ,a lack of decent opposition or competition , and the absence of the scum to let of steam ,

and of course some piss poor performances , a shambles at board level , our support fighting or arguing with each other , i had to separate 2 guys in the North stand Ayr over the board nonsense .

to blame Ally for this shambles is idiotic ....

To make excuses for Ally isn't idiotic, it's just down right plain old insanity.

We wernt nieve.....the club was stupid! First if all ally should have been asked to take a wage cut straight away along with his backroom staff, all bonuses should have been postponed until reaching the top flight and all non essential staff should have been let go.....spending money on the screens and ed house in hindsight also looks stupid at this point!

We should have focused on youth and developing a long term strategy! We should have identified the top players in the lower leagues and offered them short term deals on comparatively low wages. Those who progressed could be signed up and others let go with no financial penalties! We should have utilised the loan system and if we were going to sign SPL players it should have been on short term deals with performance related bonuses! Instead of taking a gradual approach and building as we move up we approached it all wrong!

For once, the Rangers fans were united in their wishes. Bleed the youth on our journey from bottom to top and then enjoy the benefits of those youth players being a force to be reckoned with in Europe. That was not too much to ask and we had the perfect canvas to create that picture - but we blew it.

Ally McCoist wanted Rangers standard players in a Rangers standard squad - regardless of what league we were after. Ally wanted to be ready for Celtic, if they were drawn in the cup and seemed not to care or understand the cost. Only a month ago, he was asking for a transfer budget for January!

The Rangers fans were not naive in what they expected, they were just mugged off by our 'Rangers man' and his desire to play with the big boys.

What planet are you on? Or how good do you think our 'youth' are?

Posts like this are easy to type, and need no basis in reality. Presumably the youth to lead us to the top and into Europe would be Cole, Perry, Hegarty, Naismith, Hutton & Hemmings? Or do you want to ruin 16 and 17 year olds by getting them kicked up and down plastic pitches every week?

If we had 11 as good as Macleod, your theory could work but we quite simply don't. Maybe if McCabe & Ness hadn't walked out, but the best of our youth deserted us.

i was naive thinking that the fans and the management would learn from the past mistakes of spending a fortune to win pocket money

i still cannot believe that we will have spent the best part of 15 million quid to win 2 part time leagues and a fucking ramsdens cup (should we win that of course)

after sitting watching us spend silly money and get into the shit 5 years ago, the management team and a massive section of the fans seemed to think we could do it all again playing in leagues that are worth even less than we were in before

imo our journey back to the top has been an absolute embarrassment from the minute we kicked off against peterhead last season

It's been a disgrace CG was correct to have a go at Ally in Forfar.

Ally has made an utter mess of the Team on the field buying overpriced duds and having players benchwarming.Especialy our young players.

I know he didn't sign off the Contracts but the amount of shite He brought in is pathetic.

We have a surplus and this needs fixed quickly.

It's cost us a fortune in pay offs and investigations initiated by so called Rangers Men.

Our Club has almost been investigated to Death.

What planet are you on? Or how good do you think our 'youth' are?

Posts like this are easy to type, and need no basis in reality. Presumably the youth to lead us to the top and into Europe would be Cole, Perry, Hegarty, Naismith, Hutton & Hemmings? Or do you want to ruin 16 and 17 year olds by getting them kicked up and down plastic pitches every week?

If we had 11 as good as Macleod, your theory could work but we quite simply don't. Maybe if McCabe & Ness hadn't walked out, but the best of our youth deserted us.

And how are we to ever know if any other youth is as good as macleod, we dont give them a consistent run of games

Take hemmings for example, everyone saying not rangers standard, needed a move to prove his worth, or perhaps he simply needed games to build up form, games that we could have afforded him in div 3 as the league was cantered anyway

The short term season by season thinking at the club is shambolic, no one ever plans for 3 or 4 years down the line,

And how are we to ever know if any other youth is as good as macleod, we dont give them a consistent run of games

Take hemmings for example, everyone saying not rangers standard, needed a move to prove his worth, or perhaps he simply needed games to build up form, games that we could have afforded him in div 3 as the league was cantered anyway

The short term season by season thinking at the club is shambolic, no one ever plans for 3 or 4 years down the line,

This is exactly what we all spoke about back then JB the fact we had a sprinkling of decent young players was discussed but we all knew Ally wouldn't give them the opportunity to play, it's his style and our coaches inability really has to be up for question.

The Management Team are poor and it is now as we knew back then costing us Dearly.

Gallagher, Hemmings and McKay are just 3 examples of this Ethos from the management Team.

Bet Stuart McCall would put Motherwell in Second position and a run in Europe with our Team budget.

We wernt nieve.....the club was stupid! First if all ally should have been asked to take a wage cut straight away along with his backroom staff, all bonuses should have been postponed until reaching the top flight and all non essential staff should have been let go.....spending money on the screens and ed house in hindsight also looks stupid at this point!

We should have focused on youth and developing a long term strategy! We should have identified the top players in the lower leagues and offered them short term deals on comparatively low wages. Those who progressed could be signed up and others let go with no financial penalties! We should have utilised the loan system and if we were going to sign SPL players it should have been on short term deals with performance related bonuses! Instead of taking a gradual approach and building as we move up we approached it all wrong!

Some English lower League players would have jumped at the chance. Mhosni for instance.A decent player. IMO. Young sellable and keen.