Failing to secure promotion next year - could it be worth it?

Frank Reynolds

I think we had a great opportunity last year to reshape our club's philosophy.

I don't think it was willfully neglected, as I believe that - whether it was Ally, Green or whoever - that the vision was to get people through the gates, and it was short sighted.

So we are where we are, with a bloated squad full of players with long and expensive contracts - although we are doing well this season, and could win with 100+ points if current form continues

Next season will be tough, as we will be up against full time teams, each who would love to have the pleasure of not only securing entry to the top flight, but being the ones to stop us doing so in the process.

I haven't seriously entertained the idea of us not securing back to back promotions, as I think we have proven ourselves against championship teams away from home and on crappy pitches this season

Be it with Ally, or if we had a new manager in place, would you consider the following scenario?

Our manager announces that the club is going to change the club's focus to the youth team.

I appreciate the Ajax system is a wet dream, and one I don't think is a realistic option, but I don't like to think that the boat has sailed completely

If we were to field more of our youth players, while retaining some of the more experienced ones - a spine of the team, while we field Templeton, Macleod, Crawford and Aird more often.

For this to happen, we would have to get a scout in place, and look at bringing in more youngsters that we wouldn't have to pay the earth for and could get a few years out of before selling them on for a profit.

So, I realise that this is a lot of 'ifs and buts' - most likely will never happen, but I wondered if people would be open to the case of one or maybe two years in the championship to implement a new strategy?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What planet are some of you on? The very same people apoplectic about a draw! doh

Exactly. As long as it wasn't Ally, and it was a team of unproven boys, we can struggle for a few years trying to achieve promotion, cause that would do the young boys confidence the world of good and our finances.

I despair reading this forum lately.

I think we had a great opportunity last year to reshape our club's philosophy.

I don't think it was willfully neglected, as I believe that - whether it was Ally, Green or whoever - that the vision was to get people through the gates, and it was short sighted.

So we are where we are, with a bloated squad full of players with long and expensive contracts - although we are doing well this season, and could win with 100+ points if current form continues

Next season will be tough, as we will be up against full time teams, each who would love to have the pleasure of not only securing entry to the top flight, but being the ones to stop us doing so in the process.

I haven't seriously entertained the idea of us not securing back to back promotions, as I think we have proven ourselves against championship teams away from home and on crappy pitches this season

Be it with Ally, or if we had a new manager in place, would you consider the following scenario?

Our manager announces that the club is going to change the club's focus to the youth team.

I appreciate the Ajax system is a wet dream, and one I don't think is a realistic option, but I don't like to think that the boat has sailed completely

If we were to field more of our youth players, while retaining some of the more experienced ones - a spine of the team, while we field Templeton, Macleod, Crawford and Aird more often.

For this to happen, we would have to get a scout in place, and look at bringing in more youngsters that we wouldn't have to pay the earth for and could get a few years out of before selling them on for a profit.

So, I realise that this is a lot of 'ifs and buts' - most likely will never happen, but I wondered if people would be open to the case of one or maybe two years in the championship to implement a new strategy?

i respect your post mate , first person on here who has used the word philosophy , then put some substance behind it .

but our fans have no patience we have seen that over the years , as for accepting defeats our fans are not happy with a 4-0 victory never mind a draw or defeat .

as for the youth 3 years in the lower leagues doesnt make you pass the ball any better than in the SPL ,

its a fantasy

Except history shows us that is not the case. However much your wet dream wants it to be true.

Stop greetin ya mess.

History shows nothing because this hasn't happened before.

McCoist is showing he doesn't have it, I can't help that.

You continue to smash the keyboard in anger though.

I find it hard to comprehend how anyone could believe that this is feasible idea.

That scenario would inflict so much damage, it could achieve what Whyte didn't.

The youth players couldn't handle league two, so they certainly wouldn't handle another step up, the pressure from the fans is too great.

The crowds would reach an all time low, because believe it or not, Rangers fans will vote with their feet (I remember the eighties).

Reduced sponsors cash would see the stadium fabric deteriorate even further.

No.

Although with Ally in charge who knows. We will get hammered in the top league under his guidance the way we play football.

Think too many fellow bears overestimate the utter crap in the SPL.

Aberdeen the so called 2nd force in the spl right now have been humped twice this season by a car crash Hearts team that's 21 points behind everyone else. Motherwell the team that finished 2nd last season lost to albion rovers a few weeks back and yahoo fc got pumped at home by Greenock morton this season as well.

If the club gets it's act together and brings in some fresh investement i've no doubt we'll be champs first season back in the spl no matter who the gaffer is.