Rangers midfielder Ian Black: I want to earn a new deal and play in the top fli

Bothwellbear

Rangers midfielder Ian Black: I want to earn a new deal and play in the top flight again

15 Feb 2014 08:53

BLACK admits he's desperate to help Rangers get back to the top tier of Scottish football and continue his career at the club in the Premiership.

Jeff Holmes Footballers-Betting-2218745.jpg Ian Black

IAN BLACK was the first high-profile signing after Rangers’ demotion to the bottom tier of Scottish football.

The midfielder admits he’s desperate for a new contract to see the job through and help the club start challenging in the Premiership.

Black’s current deal expires at the end of next season – just when he hopes Rangers have clinched their return to the top flight after a three-year exile.

He said: “My aim coming here was to help the club get back up.

“It would be massive for me, being the first signing, to be part of eventually playing in the Premiership and to lift that title one day.

“I just hope I can play well and get a new deal to play in the top league with a club this size.

“They always say if you work hard they’ll speak to you. So it’s up to me to do well.

“I’m enjoying myself. I’m adding silverware to my CV and I’m enjoying playing in front of 40,000 every week. I love it.”

Black is looking forward to maintaining his good form in today’s clash against Ayr at Somerset Park.

He said: “My form has been better this season, especially looking back to last year when I came in and wasn’t at the same level as boys who had had a good pre-season. I still feel I can improve in areas and I’m working hard to do that.

“The manager has been happy enough to play me every week so I’ve been doing something right.

“I just need to work hard, keep my head down and try earn myself a new contract.”

While Rangers are odds-on to win League One and the Ramsdens Cup it’s the Scottish Cup run that’s caught their fans’ imagination.

They are aiming to become the first third-tier team in history to win the trophy.

Black added: “We need to win the tie at home and if we draw a Premiership team it’s up to us to show there’s not a massive step between the leagues.”

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't rate black albeit I will concede he has improved this year. I don't think he is going to be of the required standard to help us win the top flight but he can certainly help us get there but I'm not sure is give him an additional year beyond next.

All players blow hot and cold, Black is no different. I think we should keep him, even if it's just for the amount of loyalty he's shown more than all the rats that ran out when we needed them most.

You do know he signed after that ?

I hope he is offered a deal, a player who is always available to take a pass and some of his through balls to Wallace are excellent, one of the most unappreciated players at Ibrox in my opinion, if you watch him for five mins and not the game you will see what I mean , a players player

Black has his moments, but it's infuriating when he slows down play in midfield when the rest of the team is in full attack mode, can he get better, I think so, does he deserve another contract, I think that needs to be decide next year, good motivation playing for a contract, if you need motivation that is.

Can't argue with the improvement he has made, shows the difference a pre-season and starting injury free does for a player both in confidence and ability. I think he will deserve an extended contract, call me a sentimental old fool but I would like to see him to be part of the team that lifts the top flight trophy when we get back to the top. Just hope he doesn't put a bet on it!!!!!