Stevie Clarke

TAFKA

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dalglish and Clough.

Dalglish was the last British manager to win the Premier League, I'm willing to bet most of this forum where still in their da's baws at that point. The last British manager to win the European Cup other than Ferguson was Joe Fagan with Liverpool. The last British manager to win a European trophy was Bobby Robson with Barcelona, the last British mananger to win a European trophy with a British club was George Graham in 1994, again probably before most of this forum were even thought about. British managers have underachieved for the last 20+ years. A British manager is not the answer.

Dalglish was the last British manager to win the Premier League, I'm willing to bet most of this forum where still in their da's baws at that point. The last British manager to win the European Cup other than Ferguson was Joe Fagan with Liverpool. The last British manager to win a European trophy was Bobby Robson with Barcelona, the last British mananger to win a European trophy with a British club was George Graham in 1994, again probably before most of this forum were even thought about. British managers have underachieved for the last 20+ years. A British manager is not the answer.

Unfortunately Goat, I was 4 years out of Uni when Dalglish won the Premier League. :mecha-anguish:

The only reason he won it was the money he spent. Was never a fucking manager. When the going gets tough he always does a runner.

Ferguson basically ruled the English game for years though.

Unfortunately Goat, I was 4 years out of Uni when Dalglish won the Premier League. :mecha-anguish:

The only reason he won it was the money he spent. Was never a fucking manager. When the going gets tough he always does a runner.

He was successful managing Liverpool (the first time round) as well and won the First Division (as it was known before the Premiership) 3 times with them as manager never won anything in Europe as Liverpool were banned after Heysel so unfair to say he won it purely because of the money, you could easily apply that to Ferguson and Mourinho who spent hundreds of millions on winning the Premiership that said he did quit Liverpool it was because the pressure got to him.

He was successful managing Liverpool (the first time round) as well and won the First Division (as it was known before the Premiership) 3 times with them as manager never won anything in Europe as Liverpool were banned after Heysel so unfair to say he won it purely because of the money, you could easily apply that to Ferguson and Mourinho who spent hundreds of millions on winning the Premiership that said he did quit Liverpool it was because the pressure got to him.

Fair point. He did inherit a very good team with masses of experience, with a lot of them at a good age, but he did do well for 5 years.

I don't think we was a particularly good manager at Blackburn. And let's just laugh at his period at the Piggery :mutley:

Our next manager can't come from Britain. With the exception of Ferguson, British managers of the last 20 years are underachievers.

I wouldn't agree with that

Walter Smith, Brendan Rogers, Steve Mclaren (granted not his stints in England), Steve Bruce, Roy Hogson (Fulham UEFA Cup Run), Gordon Strachan (pains me to say it),

The list goes on...

He's a Tim, I think he knows he'll get another Premiership job again next season but I also think if he came back to Scotland it would be to replace Yellow Teeth, going to us in the Championship I doubt would appeal to him as it would fuck his chances of going to the GyroDome

I don't think you can pigeon hole managers and what their ability might be based on their nationality.

You can. You just need to look back at British managers and their success in Europe and the top leagues. That stat says it all.

You can. You just need to look back at British managers and their success in Europe and the top leagues. That stat says it all.

With the odd exception European football has generally been dominated by a select group of brilliant managers who simply go between the big clubs and replicate their success there.

Foreign managers tend to do better but I don't think you can bunch them all together in a sweeping statement like you have because for every Capello or Hitzfeld how many other shite Italian or German coaches do you get?

Do you have the stats for managers from each individual nation, so we know which ones to avoid? Or are the choices just British or "foreign"?

The SPL has been won by a British manager 12 years running. Just saying...

The SPL has been won by a British manager 12 years running. Just saying...

And of the 80 domestic championships competed for in the big leagues (La Liga, Bundesliga, EPL & Siere A) over the last 20 years only 24 of them have been won by a foreigner (unless you count SAF as a foreigner which personally speaking, I don't) so you could argue that somebody with a true understanding of the country and the club breeds the best results domestically.

Nationality means nothing to me. If the guys right for the job then where he comes from is irrelevant.