Cheering v Jeering

Sweetheart

Cheering v Jeering

There are a number of factors that can influence an athlete's performance during a game other than the athlete's skill. Athletes must perform in front of crowds in every game, and crowds express their feelings about athletes' performances by, for instance, cheering (supporting them) or jeering (discouraging them). The presence of such an audience may affect team and individual athlete performance.

Studies have shown clearly that audiences can impact physiological variables of athletes (e.g., arousal, cardiac performance), as well as cognitive variables such as self-concept and perceptions of performance (e.g., see Jones, Bray, & Lavallee, 2007). It is widely believed that "crowd support," "supportive audience," "home crowd," "home team fans" is one of the aspects that gives the home team the edge (Courneya & Carron, 1992; Schwartz & Barsky, 1977; Tauer, Guenther, & Rozek, 2009).

In 5-minute periods following extreme negative audience tactics (i.e., behavior beyond normal 'booing', such as throwing objects, fighting, chanting obscenities), the home team tended to have more infractions than visitors. That is, extreme anti-social behaviors of the audience were predictive of performance decrements for the home team. Source: http://www.freepaten.../256864603.html

The Psychology of Sports Fans

Ardent sports fans will hold onto the passion for their team no matter what. However, even the truest of the true fans may find that their faith is tested when things aren't going well for their beloved team. Social psychologists have identified two patterns of reactions that sports fans have to their team's performance. Here, we'll explore them as well as several related psychological concepts that apply to the behavior of fans, true and fickle.

"BIRGing." applies to the phenomenon called "Basking in Reflected Glory." When your team is doing well, you feel great. Research shows that on the day after a team's win, people feel better about themselves. They say "we" won, and by "we," they don't mean themselves, personally. The closer you identify with the team, the more likely you are to BIRG. People who BIRG also are more likely to wear their team's regalia on the day after a victory.

In contrast, "CORFing" means that you "Cut Off Reflected Failure." Your team was trounced and now you want to distance yourself from them and their disgrace as much as possible. It's not "we," who lost, it's "they." The last thing a CORFer wants to wear on the day following the team's loss are hats or shirts with the team's logo. This is the test of the true vs. fickle fan. It's the CORFers who are the fickle fans. Their identification with them rises and falls with the box scores. True fans, in contrast, will don jerseys, hats, and almost any item with the team logo no matter how poorly their team performs. True fans may feel dejected, but their heroes remain their heroes, even if somewhat tarnished by defeat.

These two aspects of the psychology of sports fans are great for understanding how fans, true and fickle, behave after victory and loss, but other concepts help explain why fans do what they do during games. Fans who actually attend games regularly display the social psychological phenomenon of disinhibition. They shout, yell, stand up, cheer. Even people who are ordinarily reserved and shy will explode in bursts of exhibitionism when surrounded by other people engaging in the same unrestrained excitement.

ingroup-outgroup bias is yet another tried and true social psychological phenomenon. The fans of one team, the "in-group" will deprecate the fans of the other team, the "outgroup." The only factor that differentiates these groups is the team they root for. The "home team advantage," which most people believe in, refers to the slight edge that the home team has

Source: http://www.psycholog...ogy-sports-fans

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never jeer my team. win,lose or draw.

There's a lot of physiological power held by fans in a cheer or jeer. The whole point of cheering the team is to empower them. When we go to away matches and the team gets the jeers from the opposition who are trying to put the team off their game physiologically . The away support will come in with their counter cry and reverse the physiological effect by cheering.

It's weird how humans work but if you keep telling someone/something they're pish they become pish. (you break the player/team down). If you encourage them to become good at something they become good. (you build that player/team up by supporting them). Negative/Positive thinking about oneself works in the same way.

Very interesting but I'd be keen to see more of the effects of jeering your own team.

Oh, it's OK. I've seen that aplenty. ;)

Agreed, think we've seen plenty of jeering but back when we were winning 9iar the fans cheered the team on encouraging them to do better and they did

Wouldn't have a problem booing the team off the pitch, however whilst the game is under way I think there should be no jeering or booing. It achieves nothing, history has shown us how detrimental it can be to the psyche of certain players.

It's particularly annoying when aimed at younger players...Moore, Hutton (both of them), Adam and I could go on and on and on.

Wouldn't have a problem booing the team off the pitch, however whilst the game is under way I think there should be no jeering or booing. It achieves nothing, history has shown us how detrimental it can be to the psyche of certain players.

It's particularly annoying when aimed at younger players...Moore, Hutton (both of them), Adam and I could go on and on and on.

I think booing the team at the end of a game would be detrimental to the psyche of players, as that's what they'll remember for the next game they have to play. I agree with the rest of your points though

I think booing the team at the end of a game would be detrimental to the psyche of players, as that's what they'll remember for the next game they have to play. I agree the rest of your points though

Once the game is finished they should be left in no doubt if a performance wasn't good enough. Perhaps if it has a negative impact they will try harder not to get booed off the pitch in the next game.

I've sat near persistant offenders screaming that Aird and Black in particular are "shite".

Aird has been notably effected on several occasions and was consoled by his teammates.

Sad state of affairs. These so called supporters invariably left well before the final whistle.

They may as well sit in the away section imo.

Once the game is finished they should be left in no doubt if a performance wasn't good enough. Perhaps if it has a negative impact they will try harder not to get booed off the pitch in the next game.

Good point but I believe if someone keeps telling someone/something that they're pish they become pish. (you break the player/team down). Think the fans should have a better way to communicate with the club when unhappy about performances.

I've sat near persistant offenders screaming that Aird and Black in particular are "shite".

Aird has been notably effected on several occasions and was consoled by his teammates.

Sad state of affairs. These so called supporters invariably left well before the final whistle.

This is what I mean about physiological power held by fans in a cheer or jeer. Fans don't use it to best benefit for the team

The biggest case off a fan base jeering its own player I can think off is when the tartan trannies showed their true colours by jeering Ian Black.

I cant recall the majority at Ibrox EVER booing one particular player.

I've heard Amoruso and Konterman getting booed at Ibrox after one mistake too many for some, it wasn't the majority but still must have been dreadful for the players.

If he needs consoled simply for being called shite he needs to find a new club, a club like ours has high standards

If he needs consoled simply for being called shite he needs to find a new club, a club like ours has high standards

The exact words screamed were "You're fucking shite Aird! Never a Rangers player!"

Each and every time the young lad kicked a ball. Got a bit boring after the 20th time.

Yes, our club has high standards but as a fan base should our standards not be higher to psychologically benefit the team?