Is it unfair to expect us to win one of the Cups in 2014/15?

No one is "guaranteed" a cup, not even the team that has spent the most money. thats the point of a cup.

I remember when Walter Smith was in charge and handed Ally the reigns for the cup games and we won two cups, to say us not winning a cup is the managers fault is ridiculous, if ppl want to bring up stats of not winning cups because we have the second highest wage bill, at least compare them to the team/ manager that has spent the most money.

You said you fully expect a cup win though, on what grounds?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Walter Smith was in charge and handed Ally the reigns for the cup games and we won two cups, to say us not winning a cup is the managers fault is ridiculous

Whenever Ally was allowed to take over the team for cup competitions the team almost always underperformed. How many times did we see Walter come down to the trackside in the last 30mins, wisper something in McCoist's ear, then a sub or formation change would happen and we'd go on to win the game. Many people could see the warning signs even then.

I think that with a stronger squad and a higher quality of opponent this coming season means we may well at the very least replicate our run in the SC in one on the national cups.

When McCoist first took over Rangers he had a winning side. He took that winning side and got it knocked out of the Champions League, UEFA Cup, and the League Cup to Falkirk in the first 2 months of the season. Please note, administration and a lack of preseason had nothing to do with these embarrassing results. So we've already seen what McCoist can do with a stronger squad against equal or lesser opponents and it's not pretty.

When McCoist first took over Rangers he had a winning side. He took that winning side and got it knocked out of the Champions League, UEFA Cup, and the League Cup to Falkirk in the first 2 months of the season. Please note, administration and a lack of preseason had nothing to do with these embarrassing results. So we've already seen what McCoist can do with a stronger squad against equal or lesser opponents and it's not pretty.

Yawn!!!!

Boyd and Miller will win us at least one cup.

The Dundee United and even the Albion game at home were crying out for one of them to bury chances.

If Boyd had played DU & not Daly we would've beat them.

I'm not expecting a similarly easy draw this time round, reckon we will come up against the Sheep or them in at least one of the competitions.

Failing to win the Ramsdens would be unacceptable IMO.

In the other cups, I would be satisfied if we only go out to a top division club, but give them a right good game.

sorry mate but thats pish, we are spending 7million a year on our first team wages, to accept going out but "we gave them a game" is ridiculous

are you saying with the squad we have that you'd be happy going out the scottish cup to st mirren at ibrox but as long as we gave them a game?

We've got far and away the second biggest budget in the country.

It's not far fetched for us to think we might win one of the cups.

I actually think we will win one this season

yes but might and expect have two different meanings.

We have a chance, but no right to expect it

I know what he did previously and I'm not EXPECTING a cup run, however I do believe we could replicate that run.

Also please note I've said SEVERAL times that Ally is not the man for the job and have not used the above mentioned excuses for poor performances

As I've said and I will repeat it, there is a chance we could replicate that type of run and if we have another favourable draw why not.

Also if you'd checked my replies to Huisyra you will note I have questioned our recent cup history.

The league cup and Scottish cup I would hope we would put up a fight with at least quater final places being minimum, depending on the draw.

I would expect us to win the Challenge cup.

We should of already won a cup last season or the season before going by our wage budget.

It is a disgrace and an embarrassment that we haven't won the challenge cup, and I don't think we will either.

Anyone that supports Rangers should be expecting us to win every domestic competition we enter, otherwise we become just another club.

Anything less than the league and Ramsdens this season is a failure, they are the bare minimum. I expect us to win the other two trophies though, we're Rangers after all.

I think we will have a better chance of winning a cup than we did last season.

We have a better squad, can field all of our players from the off, and the team has had time to gel.

I won't expect to win one though as our chances will diminish if we are unlucky in the draws and anything can happen in cup games.

If everything falls into place and we have a lot of luck then we have the capability to win everything, but being honest I doubt we will.

The fact that we've only won seven trebles (League, League Cup & Scottish Cup. The Ramsdens Cup doesn't count as part of a treble in my eyes) in our entire history proves that it's not as easy to achieve as some people on here like to make out and I doubt this current crop are going to manage to achieve something that a number of better and more expensively assembled teams failed to do.

The Challenge Cup & the League are must wins though, and we have no excuses to not have a good run in at least one other cup competition too.

Success / failure, and Ally's future, are dependent on meeting expectations.

In tangible terms, to lose league should be the end of the road for him.

Same could be agued for Ramsden's or whatever it's called unless this is used to give the youngsters a chance all the way through.

But as it stands currently my expectation is to win both, and these are minimum requirements.

I don't EXPECT to win the other cups, and wouldn't use it automatically as an Ally-oot stick per se. Though losing to a minnow or a gutless performance will have an impact, as will (subjective) poor style of play, poor tactics etc. I do HOPE to win both though.

Maybe some don't align expectations to Ally's future, I do.

Maybe some expect us to win everything so they can beat up Ally. I don't think I do.