Ally - No more excuses

D'Artagnan

(tu) Agree with every word the OP has said.

More importantly, it's what the vast majority of us feel.

If McCoist had his finger on the pulse, like he thinks he has, he would also know that it just simply isn't good enough, especially when he blames everyone but himself.

A Rangers manager should be man enough to admit he is getting it wrong, not look around for someone else to blame.

A Rangers board should also be man enough to change things NOW before it gets worse because it will!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(tu) Agree with every word the OP has said.

More importantly, it's what the vast majority of us feel.

If McCoist had his finger on the pulse, like he thinks he has, he would also know that it just simply isn't good enough, especially when he blames everyone but himself.

A Rangers manager should be man enough to admit he is getting it wrong, not look around for someone else to blame.

A Rangers board should also be man enough to change things NOW before it gets worse because it will!

While I'm in agreement in saying "No more excuses" I've also been quite vocal in saying we shouldn't ever be using excuses anyway, I could understand the slow start to like in SFL3 twoyears ago due to the u ccertainty surrounding the club but what we've seen sinve has been an unmitigated disaster, some will point to the two back to back titles we've wonsome kind of case in point for the club heading in the right direction but if every Bear to a man was honest with hinself and his neighbour everyone would be in an agreement that it was basically impossible NOT to win SFL3 & SFL2.

Our performances on the whole have been dire, its been an insult to our intelligence to talk about the win columns when wins are secondary at the level we've been at for the last two years given the total lack of any sort of possibility of a title challenge.

McCoist is a dinosaur, a quick witted and charismatic one at that but a Dinosaur all the same,iit's not the 80s or 90s anymore, football managers can't peddle out the same tired on retort about wins, not in 2014 when the invention of Social Media and availability of sites like Rangers Media offer fans a daily platform to discuss whats wrong with the team, in the past because of the all around lack of communication poor performances could often be played down because it felt like you were a lone wolf, in this day and age we are a mere click of a button away from expressing our opinions in the public d9main and also hearing others, thousands upon thousands, all the same old tired retort is no lobger acceptable from a Rangers manager.

Also, havibg worked under Smith for so long McCoist became consumed with the win, it was over performance every day of the week, while thats probably deemed acceptable when goibg toe to toe with Celtic, it certainly shouldn't mean the same rules apply when participatig in tin pot Leagues.

Ally has had enough time, he's had two years to get it right and he choose to sacrifice a nrw philosophy in order to just crush an ant with a tractor

great post.

Stating the obvious on point 2 dar't but we don't have cash to do anything about it at the moment and with the exception of the inconsistent mckay there's no queue of mcleods waiting in under 20's.

Andy Murdoch ? Gasparotto ?

Following your line of reasoning that there is no money - surely then we should be preparing our youngsters for the step up now rather than next season against tougher opposition ?

Its about results and performances - in that order. It's not about trying to lay off blame elsewhere. And the context is the recovery of Rangers on the park and financially off the park (but they are both inextricably linked) - a matter of supreme importance but which does not seem to galvanise the Manager and the squad sufficiently. The Board is about to try to raise some more money. The team performances are a barometer of confidence for those who might invest and the performances are seeing that confidence plummet. So it does not just affect on field stuff.

The way things are going it seems like there would have to be some executive intervention soon - maybe very soon. So, maybe the straight talk from a CEO/Board goes like this:

You wanted to feel as though you were a football manager. Fair enough. We've given you the players you wanted. They are not delivering. We gave you the pre-season you wanted - it demonstrated the team has not been prepared for this campaign - 2 games against Hibs and Hearts are demonstration of that. Your job is to win the Championship this season - it does not currently seem to us that you and the team are applying yourselves sufficiently to this.

So here is the message - if you lose the next 3 games and we find ourselves 10-12 points adrift of the league leaders then a number of things will happen. One is you will be replaced. Another will be sales of players and a vast reduction in squad size. Another will be the mothballing of Auchenbowie as we could not afford to continue to run it as a training facility - we will simply close the gates and wait to see if a sufficient improvement in fortunes can be managed before we return there. There will be additional redundancies and cost cutting at Ibrox - we will cut the cloth by planning for the worst ie a further season in the Championship and much reduced crowds while hoping that your successor can deliver much more with much less resource even if that means revising our Review strategy timescale for returning to the top league. And by the way the blame for the above rests on performances on the pitch of which you are responsible are Manager. Come back and see the Board when we have played the 4th league game and we will re-assess or confirm (as the case may be). Over to you. You wanted to feel like a football manager so now you have it.

Following your line of reasoning that there is no money - surely then we should be preparing our youngsters for the step up now rather than next season against tougher opposition ?

Murdoch no more than tidy and gasparotto very raw imo.I'm afraid our chance to blood youngsters has gone with div 2 and 3 and now it's about winning .

In Division Three ally had the opportunity to bring in the youngsters and build his own team

his failure being he discared many players by using experiance instead

It worked in his mind results promotions but the football itself didnt and

its this weakness he is not capable of using the talent that mc kay for example

cant even get on the bench.

Seeing JG in the Stand today was the highlight of today.

On field I agree with just about all you say.

Its obvious Boyd was unfit and does look overweight.

I don't reckon he should be Playing until he is Fit.

A shadow of the player he was with Killie.

The rest is plane to see and Ally was given an opportunity to set a Blueprint and put his mark on our Clubs future.

Sadly I'm afraid he has failed and the fact he was never a proven club manager was always a huge Gamble for me.

Similar to JG as he had not previously managed a club either.

It helps.

Its about results and performances - in that order. It's not about trying to lay off blame elsewhere. And the context is the recovery of Rangers on the park and financially off the park (but they are both inextricably linked) - a matter of supreme importance but which does not seem to galvanise the Manager and the squad sufficiently. The Board is about to try to raise some more money. The team performances are a barometer of confidence for those who might invest and the performances are seeing that confidence plummet. So it does not just affect on field stuff.

The way things are going it seems like there would have to be some executive intervention soon - maybe very soon. So, maybe the straight talk from a CEO/Board goes like this:

You wanted to feel as though you were a football manager. Fair enough. We've given you the players you wanted. They are not delivering. We gave you the pre-season you wanted - it demonstrated the team has not been prepared for this campaign - 2 games against Hibs and Hearts are demonstration of that. Your job is to win the Championship this season - it does not currently seem to us that you and the team are applying yourselves sufficiently to this.

So here is the message - if you lose the next 3 games and we find ourselves 10-12 points adrift of the league leaders then a number of things will happen. One is you will be replaced. Another will be sales of players and a vast reduction in squad size. Another will be the mothballing of Auchenbowie as we could not afford to continue to run it as a training facility - we will simply close the gates and wait to see if a sufficient improvement in fortunes can be managed before we return there. There will be additional redundancies and cost cutting at Ibrox - we will cut the cloth by planning for the worst ie a further season in the Championship and much reduced crowds while hoping that your successor can deliver much more with much less resource even if that means revising our Review strategy timescale for returning to the top league. And by the way the blame for the above rests on performances on the pitch of which you are responsible are Manager. Come back and see the Board when we have played the 4th league game and we will re-assess or confirm (as the case may be). Over to you. You wanted to feel like a football manager so now you have it.

I said this about Auchenhowie if it's not producing the goods then it needs Mothballing.

Its a luxury we cannot afford under Ally McCoist's mandate.

If it's a Training Facility or a youth academy it's not producing either of these things.

The proof is on the Pitch.

So sad.

We only have ourselves to blame. He was still getting the super ally chants up till recently.

McCoist has been nothing short of a disaster. I`ll follow that up with the morons who will come back with the " but he won two leagues on the trot , what else was he supposed to do ?"If people have no clue on what he was supposed to do they shouldn`t comment on it.

His remit wasn`t to just get up at all costs. His remit was to get up , develop youths and entertain.

Ally has has the EASIEST job of any manager I have seen at Rangers. £6M budget to beat part time teams.Any manager in any of the divisions could have done that, and dare I say with more style.No manager in our history has been so bomb proof as Ally.

When have you ever known virtually all the fans to say " We all know Ally isn`t good enough , but .... ". In the past he would have just been sacked.

Add on his disgraceful salary and I`d say he`s put us back 5 years.

Seeing JG in the Stand today was the highlight of today.

On field I agree with just about all you say.

Its obvious Boyd was unfit and does look overweight.

I don't reckon he should be Playing until he is Fit.

A shadow of the player he was with Killie.

The rest is plane to see and Ally was given an opportunity to set a Blueprint and put his mark on our Clubs future.

Sadly I'm afraid he has failed and the fact he was never a proven club manager was always a huge Gamble for me.

Similar to JG as he had not previously managed a club either.

It helps.

Did Boyd not get an ankle op in the summer ? maybe still a bit off the pace. But that wouldn`t matter as the service is terrible.

We only have ourselves to blame. He was still getting the super ally chants up till recently.

McCoist has been nothing short of a disaster. I`ll follow that up with the morons who will come back with the " but he won two leagues on the trot , what else was he supposed to do ?"If people have no clue on what he was supposed to do they shouldn`t comment on it.

His remit wasn`t to just get up at all costs. His remit was to get up , develop youths and entertain.

Ally has has the EASIEST job of any manager I have seen at Rangers. £6M budget to beat part time teams.Any manager in any of the divisions could have done that, and dare I say with more style.No manager in our history has been so bomb proof as Ally.

When have you ever known virtually all the fans to say " We all know Ally isn`t good enough , but .... ". In the past he would have just been sacked.

Add on his disgraceful salary and I`d say he`s put us back 5 years.

only ourselves to blame? I don't blame the guys who have voiced there reservations for 18 months. I don't blame the guys who have tried to support him. I blame mccoist. He has had his chance and shown himself berift of any managerial talent.

Don't deflect from the truth: McCoist has failed and there is nobody to blame but himself.

Sadly i agree with most of that.

Disagree on boyd, I still feel he will come good, and if gets no service ( which is what is happening) then he wont score goals. We know what e are getting with him, he needs the correct service.

I don't feel Scott Galagher is an issue either.

Ally McCoists managerial reign has cost us 3yrs, or a hell of a big rebuild.

Here we are in the final lower league of our ascent, and at the point that the picture that is Rangers should be a few final touches from completion, ready to challenge in the big league next season.

Instead, we need to throw the canvass in the bin and start over and are far from guaranteed to win this division!

McCoist has been a disaster for our football club. Yip he's got results to get us this far, and doing so with a budget 20x that of anyone we've came up against, but.... the warning signs of the damage being done has been apparent for a long time now.

Exactly! this scenario has been coming for a long time, I can see me and plenty others becoming anti board if they don't show any balls and bin McCoist who is catapulting the whole club downwards rapid, aye three totally wasted years.

Stating the obvious on point 2 dar't but we don't have cash to do anything about it at the moment and with the exception of the inconsistent mckay there's no queue of mcleods waiting in under 20's.

Im sorry Fergie I just dont follow youre line of logic here. There was some money available close season - Ally has squandered it on positions which were not a priority and on signings which do not have any long term vision.

Are you going to tell me that young Murdoch is not worth a punt as opposed to the comedy show which is Law and Clark ?

Gasparotto to me would be preferrable to the bombscare which is Mohsni (another Ally signing) and the player our team appears to be getting set out to accommodate - McCulloch.

I know I'm an old bugger that has been around a long time but I just don't get this fear of giving young guys a game.

My memory may be adrift but:

* Willie Henderson made his debut in 1960 aged 16. He ultimately replace Alex Scott a full international we sold to Everton for a good fee.

* Willie Johnston broke into the team at 18 again replacing an International player.

* Sandy Jardine made his debut at 18 and went on to have a marvellous career

I could list many other examples of young players given a chance in a team fighting in the top league and featuring in Europe as well. Durrant, Derek & Barry Ferguson more recently but Derek Johnstone and Parlane in the 70's together with Bobby Russell at 20 who came straight into the first team from Junior football. Over the years it was common practice but we seem scared now. give Murdoch and Gasporotto game time and let's find out - otherwise we will never know!