Marco Negri joins Gers camp

Ibroxblue

Oh, I think Mols was a technically better footballer with the ball at his feet, but look at some of these goals. Even at the start before his injury, I don't think Mols was this good as a striker. Negri was better at being in the right place for the poacher efforts too. Loads of nous to get the better of defenders, very composed. He was a top class finisher. Different kinds of forwards, but given the choice between the two, if not for his mood problem, I'd have taken Negri. And an outrageous accent to boot.

This was ALL in half a season...

Biggest what if in fucking history. He came on against Dundee UTD years later if i remember.

Marco Negri and Dundee United in the same sentence (OK you didn't really but it...) reminds me of the 5-1 game just before we played the second leg against IFK Gothenberg.5 goals for Negri and his third for the hat trick was amazing.

I was away fishing when the game was played but I watched the highlights on the Sunday and the third goal was an absolute stand out. Ibrox cheered but it had a moment of silent before the cheer because the crowd were amazed in a spell of disbelief at what Negri did. IIRC Gazza played the ball forward in a straight path to Negri who ran on to it roughly 30 yards from goal. Pederson (?) was running in and Negri with his first touch chipped the ball over him. Before the ball hit the ground, Pederson had recovered and was rushing in again. Ball still in the air, Negri chips him again and Pederson clatters in to his fellow Dundee United player who had came across to assist. After the second chip the ball bounces on the grass once and Negri eyes the goalkeeper who is (forgive the spelling) Sieb Dykstra. With Negri's third touch he chips the goalkeeper. The commentator states he is one of the tallest goalkeepers in Scottish football. CHIP, CHIP, BOUNCE, CHIP, GOAL.

I'm off to google and youtube some of this shit. I'll report back if I find it.

EDIT. Worth noting I've not watched the OP video yet. I'm sure all 5 goals are in there. I will watch later.

From Wikipedia (yeah I know...)

Rangers manager Walter Smith bought Marco Paulo Negri from Perugia for £3.5 million in 1997. He was rewarded with instant success, as Negri scored 23 goals in his first ten league games

I remember him scoring 30 goals before Christmas so this quote from Wikipedia could be true.

WOW.

Negri was a proper #9. I always remember thinking when he was breaking through on goal that there was only ever going to be one finish. That was the goalie picking the ball out the pokey.....Ally is our greatest ever player in my eyes but I never had that same confidence in him.

Like Mols we only really got a taster of what could have been.

The two freak injuries to Negri and Mols robbed us of the possibility of one of Europe's best strike forces. Add that to Advocaat's attacking team and you have a devastating formula.

Oh, and if Laudrup stayed on too, under Advocaat? :drool:

Never sure Oleg if Negri did have an injury, I actually heard, from a pretty good source, that he had some kind of viral infection.

I always thought Gazza battered him.

Heard it years ago and it's stuck, nothing more, nothing less.

I certainly don't believe the official story. Out for 6 months with an eye injury sustained while playing squash with Sergio Porrini?

Fuck knows what happened mate

The two freak injuries to Negri and Mols robbed us of the possibility of one of Europe's best strike forces. Add that to Advocaat's attacking team and you have a devastating formula.

Oh, and if Laudrup stayed on too, under Advocaat? :drool:

Laudrups last season was a waste of time, his head was at Chelsea and he was a shadow of the previous seasons.

David Murray talked him into staying which we were all delighted about, in hindsight it was an error.

If his facebook profile is real then he clearly has a love for the club. And valued his time spent here. Why is everyone so quick to shoot down every ex player? This Negri was one of the best goalscorers we've seen, some act like hes a cunt just because he wasnt with us long. Folk seem to think you have to play for us for 10 years to deserve any recognition.

Oh, I think Mols was a technically better footballer with the ball at his feet, but look at some of these goals. Even at the start before his injury, I don't think Mols was this good as a striker. Negri was better at being in the right place for the poacher efforts too. Loads of nous to get the better of defenders, very composed. He was a top class finisher. Different kinds of forwards, but given the choice between the two, if not for his mood problem, I'd have taken Negri. And an outrageous accent to boot.

This was ALL in half a season...

Quite simply the Negri supplied the cutting edge to a fantastic team. Watching the footage of that reminded me of the great team we had back then. In fairness the players around him were putting chances on a plate for him.

Quite simply the Negri supplied the cutting edge to a fantastic team. Watching the footage of that reminded me of the great team we had back then. In fairness the players around him were putting chances on a plate for him.

I see what you're saying mate, and yeah we had a great team. But not nearly all of them were quite on a plate!

Some fantastic goals there and his coolness in front of goal was outstanding.

Another thing the video reminded me of was Gazzas strength on the ball. Dont think I've seen a better player running with the ball under pressure but always outmuscled whoever was with him. Plus his elbows helped lol.

Some fantastic goals there and his coolness in front of goal was outstanding.

Another thing the video reminded me of was Gazzas strength on the ball. Dont think I've seen a better player running with the ball under pressure but always outmuscled whoever was with him. Plus his elbows helped lol.

Albertz and Gazza both had amazing upper body strength

Marco Negri and Dundee United in the same sentence (OK you didn't really but it...) reminds me of the 5-1 game just before we played the second leg against IFK Gothenberg.5 goals for Negri and his third for the hat trick was amazing.

I was away fishing when the game was played but I watched the highlights on the Sunday and the third goal was an absolute stand out. Ibrox cheered but it had a moment of silent before the cheer because the crowd were amazed in a spell of disbelief at what Negri did. IIRC Gazza played the ball forward in a straight path to Negri who ran on to it roughly 30 yards from goal. Pederson (?) was running in and Negri with his first touch chipped the ball over him. Before the ball hit the ground, Pederson had recovered and was rushing in again. Ball still in the air, Negri chips him again and Pederson clatters in to his fellow Dundee United player who had came across to assist. After the second chip the ball bounces on the grass once and Negri eyes the goalkeeper who is (forgive the spelling) Sieb Dykstra. With Negri's third touch he chips the goalkeeper. The commentator states he is one of the tallest goalkeepers in Scottish football. CHIP, CHIP, BOUNCE, CHIP, GOAL.

I'm off to google and youtube some of this shit. I'll report back if I find it.

EDIT. Worth noting I've not watched the OP video yet. I'm sure all 5 goals are in there. I will watch later.

One i was thinking of was when we had that NTL strip. He was a total forgotten man at that time.

I always thought Gazza battered him.

Heard it years ago and it's stuck, nothing more, nothing less.

I certainly don't believe the official story. Out for 6 months with an eye injury sustained while playing squash with Sergio Porrini?

I would rather not have a go at a fellow bear , but you are talking utter nonsense. Please refrain from listening to timmys pish rumours and listen to me instead . I was there when incident happened. It WAS a squash game and they used to play most evenings while Marcos fiancée and porrinis' wife who was pregnant went to the gym . The wives were not in that night though. My friend took Marco to the locker room with blood gushing out of his eye . He was screaming in agony while Porrini who was in tears running behind them . They cleared the locker room so all u could hear was Marco shouting and swearing in agony . The Livingwell had phoned for an ambulance but Porrini took him in his club car to A&E . Coincidentally the girl on the reception that night was Archie Knox's daughter, Archie was the one Marco fell out with as his eye was nowhere near repaired as it was a detached retina but Archie was trying to pressure him into returning early . Marco got his own personal doctor from Italy to come over to explain that a sign of an injured eye is not properly healed is when you get constant flashing in his eye which can result in blindness if damaged again . So he was looking after his own health but Walter & Archie were not chuffed with this decision. So please stop with the tedious links to assaults by Amo , Gazza . P.s. Livingwell started providing goggles for playing squash the next day , unfortunately for our 10-in-a row campaign, a day too late!!