Burton's selling Gers top, now offline!

WilliamFyfe

Oh I wouldn't have expected them to necessarily have identified any of the implications of this t-shirt from a footballing perspective, certainly - but I would have expected anyone in charge of quality control to have at least investigated the original source of the image and do even the most cursory of research from there - enough to spot some sort of connection with Rangers, at least.

Is the image in the public domain?

I've sent both a complaint to Burton and an email (probably in vain) to Rangers. I suggest we all do the same.

It is mate, you only have to google gallant pioneers and that's one of the very first images to appear, so it's hardly difficult for them to have found.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a phone number to contact them 0844 243 0000.

I've just sent an e-mail as follows:

'I wish to register my disgust at your adulteration of an iconic image for your 'White Stolen Skulls Print T Shirt'. The image is instantly recognisable by thousands as an appallingly adulterated version of a team photograph of the 1877 Rangers cup winning team. Do your company not do any research at all or are you trying to appeal to a section of Scottish football fans who will delight in using this item to mock Rangers fans following recent, extremely well publicised events surrounding the club.

Do your company feel it is right to insult the memories of the men who founded Scotlands most succesful football club? I think the least your company could do would be to:

a) Withdraw this item from sale.

b) Issue an apology to the thousands of Rangers fans you have offended,

c) Offer any profit you have made from this item to the Rangers Charity Foundation or a charity of their choice.

I await your response at your earliest convenience.'

used this is a rough template for my complaint. i suck at this sort of stuff..

Even so, there might be enough for Rangers to theoretically argue that it is a slight on their brand, but then I'm not a lawyer. It is one of the first images to come up when you search 'Rangers 1872' and the photograph is one of our more famous ones. Hopefully the club catch wind of this and pressure Burton to drop it.

I agree mate, I was more meaning that for whoever agreed the design it would have been easy to find out what the picture was of. I hope Rangers investigates into it.

Oh I wouldn't have expected them to necessarily have identified any of the implications of this t-shirt from a footballing perspective, certainly - but I would have expected anyone in charge of quality control to have at least investigated the original source of the image and do even the most cursory of research from there - enough to spot some sort of connection with Rangers, at least.

Is the image in the public domain?

I've sent both a complaint to Burton and an email (probably in vain) to Rangers. I suggest we all do the same.

You'd think so but I'm not surprised at a clothing company possibly ignoring that for profit. If the image is in the public domain then it can be argued on the grounds of very bad taste at least.

i see the Arcadia group own Debenhams and House of Fraser, did Ashley not buy stakes in them aswell recently?

not having a go at Ashley as I doubt he or Rangers own the copyright to the image but maybe he can use his influence within the group (if any) to get this pish pulled.

it seems that it's out of stock.

bet they dirty wee cunts in the east have spent their dole money on it.

coming up remote access to there server, someone is pulling it down, doesnt stop the thousands of tshirts theyve probably printed, I Hope Rangers grow a pair of baws for a change here.

Iain McColl of founders trail will be goin mental

Think copyright on a picture is 70 years after the photographers death so the picture is probably in public domain and free to be used, still pretty disgraceful for them to alter it this way.

You're correct.

Photographs are protected for 70 years after the death of the photographer. However if they are subject to Crown copyright then it applies for a maximum of 125 years; if subject to Parliamentary copyright it applies for 50 years from the taking of the photograph.

Given how old the image is id say it's safe to say it's in the public domain, not hard to argue this one on the grounds of bad taste and perhaps even as damaging to the company?

Am I the only one who thinks that we're taking this all too seriously and that's it's probably just an honest mistake on Burton's part?

I reckon they just found a random old team photo and then did the design around that.

EDIT: Obviously if it is a deliberate selection then that's unacceptable, but I just think it's probably a coincidence and we're all being too sensitive.

Am I the only one who thinks that we're taking this all too seriously and that's it's probably just an honest mistake on Burton's part?

I reckon they just found a random old team photo and then did the design around that.

EDIT: Obviously if it is a deliberate selection then that's unacceptable, but I just think it's probably a coincidence and we're all being too sensitive.

As a retailer Burtons has an obligation to research any design that uses images from a 3rd party.It would take a few minutes to find the image (its on the front cover of the Founding Fathers book) from there it wouldn't take much more to look at the situation at Rangers and the terms our detractors use for us. It is beholden on manufacturers to ensure they do not (however inadvertantly) cause any offence to its customers (or potential customers).

Its certainly not being 'too sensitive' in any way. I wonder how the descendants of the men in the photo would feel about how it has been used? If it was just a random image and not one that can be regarded as iconic and recognised by a significant number of people then you may have had a point.

There are about 6 possible scum-like references in the t-shirt. That's on top of taking a real photograph of real people and photoshopping their heads into skulls. If that was your great grandfather how would you feel about his head being transformed into a skull for commercial gain, let alone any hint of an agenda?

If you can't see that, then perhaps you should consider how much of a coincidence such an association and why it wasn't any other team in the world chosen. Can it really be that a supposedly randomly selected photograph links to our Club and then gets all the skulls and dodgy text treatment on the basis of pure chance when we've had similar from all sorts of media, including the local branch of the national broadcaster?

You have to go to this page and hit the email link to make a complaint online.

http://help.burton.c...t-Customer-Care

How do I contact Customer Care?

Our Customer Care Department is open as follows:

UK Customers - UK customers(Calls to 03 numbers cost no more than a national rate call): 0344 984 0260

• 9am to 11pm (UK time) Monday to Friday
  • 9am to 6pm (UK time) Saturday & Sunday
  • 9am to 5:30pm (UK time) UK Bank Holidays

International Customers

• 9am to 4am (UK time) Monday to Friday
  • 9am to 6pm (UK time) Saturday & Sunday
  • 9am to 5:30pm (UK time) UK Bank Holidays

EIRE customers (toll free): 1-800 656 700

Germany (toll free): 0800 182 3700

Australian customers (toll free): 1-800 720 481

Please click the Email Us link below this article to access our online email form.

Email us Call us

Bookmark Print

How could something like that ever be approved? Like really who the fuck would wear that with those words on it

The vast majority of the public won't have a clue that this references anything and might just see it as a cool design or whatever...someone's having a laugh at Rangers expense.