Squad Confidence At All-Time Low - Lee Wallace

From BBC

Lee Wallace says Rangers must travel to promotion rivals Hibernian on Sunday with confidence, despite admitting the squad's buoyancy is at its lowest ebb.

Rangers trail the Easter Road side by six points, with a game in hand, in third place in the Championship table.

"I know it's difficult to say we can go there with confidence when it's at an all-time low just now," said Wallace..

"We need to attempt to win, not have any of this nonsense because we're on a poor run and they're on a good run."

Stuart McCall's men have lost all three of their league clashes with the Hibees this season, with December's heavy 4-0 defeat in Leith a particularly sore day for the squad.

"We were littered with mistakes in the games we've played against them, really poor performances," added Wallace. "It'll take a big performance that hopefully we can say can help spark a wee run.

"I've sat a hundred and one times before a big game and said exactly the same - maybe this will be the one because of the type of game it is and the opponent we're facing.

"We look at how poor things have been - it probably can't get any lower at this point in time. It [the 4-0 defeat] was one of the worst days many of us have experienced in our footballing careers. We can use a lot of things as motivation to try and help us get that edge."

While Rangers have won once in their past nine games, Alan Stubbs has guided Hibs to a 15 match unbeaten run that stretches back to early December.

"We're all aware of the form, the head to head games we've got with Hibs, and the momentum they're carrying that we're not," acknowledged Wallace. "We need to win a game to get us out this horrible situation we're in.

"The results against them haven't been good enough, albeit the results against most teams haven't been good enough. Their confidence is sky high and we're obviously the exact opposite of that.

"It [ibrox] has become a bit of a difficult environment, but that's our own doing, we've not given the supporters anything to cheer about. How can we complain when we've given what we've given?"

"Everybody's kicking us, we're obviously not in a great position, other teams and people are happy at where we are just now.

"We've just never at any point in the season allowed our better players to bring anything to the table and that's been a huge disappointment. Why, I don't know, it's just not happened.

"When I signed I never seen this happening in three years' time. I saw a number of Scotland caps if I was playing well.

"My debut was a Champions League qualifier. I was looking forward to winning trophy after trophy, being in a dressing room of winners and becoming one myself."

Last bit there sounds like he wants out.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From BBC

Lee Wallace says Rangers must travel to promotion rivals Hibernian on Sunday with confidence, despite admitting the squad's buoyancy is at its lowest ebb.

Rangers trail the Easter Road side by six points, with a game in hand, in third place in the Championship table.

"I know it's difficult to say we can go there with confidence when it's at an all-time low just now," said Wallace..

"We need to attempt to win, not have any of this nonsense because we're on a poor run and they're on a good run."

Stuart McCall's men have lost all three of their league clashes with the Hibees this season, with December's heavy 4-0 defeat in Leith a particularly sore day for the squad.

"We were littered with mistakes in the games we've played against them, really poor performances," added Wallace. "It'll take a big performance that hopefully we can say can help spark a wee run.

"I've sat a hundred and one times before a big game and said exactly the same - maybe this will be the one because of the type of game it is and the opponent we're facing.

"We look at how poor things have been - it probably can't get any lower at this point in time. It [the 4-0 defeat] was one of the worst days many of us have experienced in our footballing careers. We can use a lot of things as motivation to try and help us get that edge."

While Rangers have won once in their past nine games, Alan Stubbs has guided Hibs to a 15 match unbeaten run that stretches back to early December.

"We're all aware of the form, the head to head games we've got with Hibs, and the momentum they're carrying that we're not," acknowledged Wallace. "We need to win a game to get us out this horrible situation we're in.

"The results against them haven't been good enough, albeit the results against most teams haven't been good enough. Their confidence is sky high and we're obviously the exact opposite of that.

"It [ibrox] has become a bit of a difficult environment, but that's our own doing, we've not given the supporters anything to cheer about. How can we complain when we've given what we've given?"

"Everybody's kicking us, we're obviously not in a great position, other teams and people are happy at where we are just now.

"We've just never at any point in the season allowed our better players to bring anything to the table and that's been a huge disappointment. Why, I don't know, it's just not happened.

"When I signed I never seen this happening in three years' time. I saw a number of Scotland caps if I was playing well.

"My debut was a Champions League qualifier. I was looking forward to winning trophy after trophy, being in a dressing room of winners and becoming one myself."

Last bit there sounds like he wants out.

Maybe but he did stick by us in the third division when he probably could have got another club. I think he might be suffering from a little bit of burn out. How many teams have all there attacks go through there left back.

Maybe but he did stick by us in the third division when he probably could have got another club. I think he might be suffering from a little bit of burn out. How many teams have all there attacks go through there left back.

That's how I read it. Sounds like he's had enough and he was carrying the team for awhile. It really is shocking when someone with very little tactical knowledge like myself can spot that everything we create comes down that left wing. Our coaching staff didn't seem to notice though.

That's how I read it. Sounds like he's had enough and he was carrying the team for awhile. It really is shocking when someone with very little tactical knowledge like myself can spot that everything we create comes down that left wing. Our coaching staff didn't seem to notice though.

It's a real shame because he is good at going forward but we kept going to him and it became far too obvious.

Whilst I have every sympathy with Wallace who I believe is a good player and was remarkably loyal to us when we were banished to the Third Division,the main problem I have with those negative comments is that Wallace is our Vice Captain, potentially Captain select and should be looking to boost our efforts rather than making excuses.

At times Wallace appears to have let his head drop because there was no support from the defence for him football wise, or communication wise (what happened there Ally ?), so I can understand him being frustrated, but I still believe with a stronger defence and a more confident playing system, Wallace could regain his form.

Time to give him a boost in confidence, drop Jig and make him captain as preparation for next season.

Not interested in your excuses or sob stories, Lee.

Get your violin to fuck and do what you're paid to do.

Greetin faced, overpaid bastards.

Bit harsh. He doesn't really offer any excuses. He says they have nobody to blame but themselves. He's pretty self-critical.

Bit harsh. He doesn't really offer any excuses. He says they have nobody to blame but themselves. He's pretty self-critical.

I know, but doesn't he realise this stuff will be read by the Hibs players and management?

His low confidence thing is moaning and that should be kept behind closed doors, if it's a ploy to get Hibs over confident then I'll take it back.

We know the players have been shit, we know they're low on confidence, time for action now rather than this stuff.

Not interested in your excuses or sob stories, Lee.

Get your violin to fuck and do what you're paid to do.

Greetin faced, overpaid bastards.

Another typical pathetic post from a poster who has made a career out of winding up fellow Gers fans just to boost his post count.

He also lost his father and a close friend in December ( not an excuse but a fact none the less ) there is so many of our squad under perorming , imo he is right they cant go there thinking we are a pish and they are so much better. We should go there thinking if we fire on all cylinders we can win this.

Tbh I think Lee has been dragged down with the shit around him. Regularly seen as our only threat and basically marked out of the game because the chancers round about him shirk their duties of making space to receive a pass.

Whilst I have every sympathy with Wallace who I believe is a good player and was remarkably loyal to us when we were banished to the Third Division,the main problem I have with those negative comments is that Wallace is our Vice Captain, potentially Captain select and should be looking to boost our efforts rather than making excuses.

At times Wallace appears to have let his head drop because there was no support from the defence for him football wise, or communication wise (what happened there Ally ?), so I can understand him being frustrated, but I still believe with a stronger defence and a more confident playing system, Wallace could regain his form.

Time to give him a boost in confidence, drop Jig and make him captain as preparation for next season.

I'm starting to think I'm missing something here. What excuses?

Suggesting squad morale is at all time low, as per title. No excuse for that kind of statement from a vice captain, when there is still all to play for.

He's hardly using it as an excuse when he says it's their own fault.

It's pretty much stating the obvious as well. I don't have any great problem with it. Fairly run of the mill interview stuff for me.

The last bit of the interview as a bit more concerning for me, but it has the looks of it having been cropped and not entirely in context. I'd like to see how the interview actually ends and the tone of what he says (and that goes for the rest of the interview).