Where Is The Great David Holmes ?

There's so little online, i did find this though, id love someone to stand up to the press like this now.

Did that reporter actually ask Chris Woods' religion?!?

Embarrassing. What a backward part of the world we live in.

Great response from Mr. Holmes. He shot that question down and no mistake. :2gunsfiring_v1:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't David work for The Lawrence Group? and placed in the Ibrox chair because Lawrence Marlborough didn't want to be chairman, as he was preparing to move the company to California, I seem to remember this, so it was always going to be a temporary placement until a new owner took over, which was unfortunate.

Always liked listening to Mr Holmes, you could tell he was sincere and always wanted the best for the club, one of the good guys.

Basically you got it right,mate! :pipe: He was the man who brought in Souness who in turn talked Moonbeams into investing/buying Rangers for the princely sum of about £5 million as Lawrence Marlborough who inherited the John Lawrence Group didn't want anything to do with owning a football team in Scotland,so he put David Holmes in place to oversee every aspect of Rangers before selling it.

Did that reporter actually ask Chris Woods' religion?!?

Embarrassing. What a backward part of the world we live in.

Great response from Mr. Holmes. He shot that question down and no mistake. :2gunsfiring_v1:

It certainly seems like it or at least something along those lines, judging by the reaction.

Big bad Rangers though eh?

Now that would be something worthwhile and no-one would be more deserving of this than him, a fitting gesture for a man of true vision ..... one of a kind OZ.

:uk:

I still find it unbelievable that nobody has ever thought of honouring this man. The board commissioned a painting of "The New Pioneers" that was hung at the top of the stairs when they should have commissioned a Plaque/Bust of David Holmes.

I would have quite happily spent my £400 that went to the fighting fund for this project.

govanblue, get off your arse and do something about this. :pipe:

Was looking for stuff on him on the official site, disappointed to only so far see this as a mention in the Souness Revolution article.

"Souness was on the brink of returning Rangers to greatness, but first it would take a revolution that came with the arrival in the boardroom of David Murray.

Murray, a successful businessman and friend of Souness, became the new owner of Rangers in November 1988, though he did not take over as chairman from David Holmes until June the following year."

Basically you got it right,mate! :pipe: He was the man who brought in Souness who in turn talked Moonbeams into investing/buying Rangers for the princely sum of about £5 million as Lawrence Marlborough who inherited the John Lawrence Group didn't want anything to do with owning a football team in Scotland,so he put David Holmes in place to oversee every aspect of Rangers before selling it.

And to think that Ayr Utd knocked back an offer from DM a couple of weeks/months earlier to buy them over LOL.

David Holmes should have a plaque or a bust installed at the bottom of the Marble staircase to remind visitors that without David Holmes foresight, Rangers FC and Ibrox stadium as we know it today would possibly not exist.

Every Rangers fan should forever be thankful to that man for the foundations he put in place both off and on the park during his time with us.

Oz, Ibrox as we know it today was really the dream of Willie Waddell youll remember! Not to belittle the debt we owe David Holmes of course for his far sightedness.

Tin hat on here,

Firstly let me say as far as I'm concerned David Holmes was indeed an unsung HERO for Rangers.

Secondly let me say I've a lot of respect for David Murray despite selling the club to a con man.

My point is that anytime I've defended Murrays achievements at Rangers I've received abuse due to his final negligent act of not doing due diligence on Whyte, so by that logic would Holmes not be at fault for allowing Murray to take the reigns at Ibrox. Let me reiterate that I have nothing but respect for both David's.

And to think that Ayr Utd knocked back an offer from DM a couple of weeks/months earlier to buy them over LOL.

They sure did,mate! and believe it or not, many of the "Honest Men" still insist they did the right thing by telling Murray to bugger off with his cash. I know many Ayr supporters and they wanted nothing to do with Murray at the time because they didn't believe he was doing it for the benefit of Ayr United.

Oz, Ibrox as we know it today was really the dream of Willie Waddell youll remember! Not to belittle the debt we owe David Holmes of course for his far sightedness.

That is 100% correct,KK and the Deedle will always be recognised for his role in building Ibrox as we know it, but I have to say that without the vision and work of David Holmes Willie's dream would never have came to fruition. :pipe:

That is 100% correct,KK and the Deedle will always be recognised for his role in building Ibrox as we know it, but I have to say that without the vision and work of David Holmes Willie's dream would never have came to fruition. :pipe:

I used to visit Willie Waddell before every match as a young boy in his flat in Pollock as my Uncle (through marriage) was his relative and we would go see him. I was just to young to realise who he was and absolutely gutted now as would love so dearly to ask him so much. Another who I used to see was poor Jim Baxter in the Georgic in Shawlands as a young teenager and again wish I had asked him so much.

I say this as I am sure Holmes would be the same if any of us got the chance now.

I used to visit Willie Waddell before every match as a young boy in his flat in Pollock as my Uncle (through marriage) was his relative and we would go see him. I was just to young to realise who he was and absolutely gutted now as would love so dearly to ask him so much. Another who I used to see was poor Jim Baxter in the Georgic in Shawlands as a young teenager and again wish I had asked him so much.

I say this as I am sure Holmes would be the same if any of us got the chance now.

It was lucky enough to has seen the Deedle play in the latter stages of his career and I can tell you Rangers oozed from every pore in his body. He was one of the fastest players I had ever seen and I'm sure he could have pinged in a cross that would have been so accurate it would have burst a plook on a centre-forwards heid.

Him and David Holmes don't get enough credit for the Rangers of the modern era.

As many have already posted the man deserves enormous credit for getting Souness and starting the football revolution that took us to the very top European table.

An interesting point is that he was not a Rangers man and he was an employee of the family that owned the club. What he achieved in a short time was incredible, as any bear who supported us in the early 80s will testify.

We have made some decisions this week that give rise to optimism but I very much doubt that we will ever see the likes of Mr Holmes or a comparable turnaround in our fortunes matched in the next few years.

Any bear who was on the pitch that day at Pittodrie will tell you what it felt to win the title after 9 long years.

He awoke the sleeping giant that was Rangers in every facet of the club.

I remember being one of approximately 2 - 3000 season ticket holders in the 86/7 season and being guaranteed a ticket for every match we played in that season.

The next season we had more than 10 times the amount and the season ticket culture that persists to this day, excusing last year's blip, is thanks to the visionary that was David Holmes.

It says everything about him that he has shunned the limelight ever since.

As many have already posted the man deserves enormous credit for getting Souness and starting the football revolution that took us to the very top European table.

An interesting point is that he was not a Rangers man and he was an employee of the family that owned the club. What he achieved in a short time was incredible, as any bear who supported us in the early 80s will testify.

We have made some decisions this week that give rise to optimism but I very much doubt that we will ever see the likes of Mr Holmes or a comparable turnaround in our fortunes matched in the next few years.

Any bear who was on the pitch that day at Pittodrie will tell you what it felt to win the title after 9 long years.

He awoke the sleeping giant that was Rangers in every facet of the club.

I remember being one of approximately 2 - 3000 season ticket holders in the 86/7 season and being guaranteed a ticket for every match we played in that season.

The next season we had more than 10 times the amount and the season ticket culture that persists to this day, excusing last year's blip, is thanks to the visionary that was David Holmes.

It says everything about him that he has shunned the limelight ever since.

Good post.

I remember going home and away to all the games in the John Greg / Jock Wallace II eras and wondering if we were destined to be a cup team from then on.

That may seem inconceivable to some of our younger fans today , but apart from c....c you had the emergence of Sir Alex Ferguson's aberdeen and Jim McLean's dundee utd - not just a force here , but also in Europe , while we were lagging behind .

Given those circumstances , where it wasn't just one team we had to overcome , it was even more remarkable. Particularly the timescale it was achieved.

Willie Waddell , quite rightly , will be regarded as the the man responsible for the Ibrox we have today , but Davie Holmes is the guy responsible for filling it .

Tin hat on here,

Firstly let me say as far as I'm concerned David Holmes was indeed an unsung HERO for Rangers.

Secondly let me say I've a lot of respect for David Murray despite selling the club to a con man.

My point is that anytime I've defended Murrays achievements at Rangers I've received abuse due to his final negligent act of not doing due diligence on Whyte, so by that logic would Holmes not be at fault for allowing Murray to take the reigns at Ibrox. Let me reiterate that I have nothing but respect for both David's.

Well as David Holmes didn't sell Rangers to Sir Minty Moonbeam that would be a no.

He's actually from Bonnybridge. Went to school with my dad. If he is still around, he'll be around 80 now.

Not so far away, then.

I'd something at the back of my mind that he'd been a Falkirk fan, as much as the geography?

Your dad was in good company!

(tu)

Is anyone out there know what he is doing nowadays ,where he is ??

Did DM airbrush him from our history ?

This guy needs to return at Ibrox in some capacity to receive his acknowledgement from the fans .

His place in our history should never be forgotten .

Good post.

I remember going home and away to all the games in the John Greg / Jock Wallace II eras and wondering if we were destined to be a cup team from then on.

That may seem inconceivable to some of our younger fans today , but apart from c....c you had the emergence of Sir Alex Ferguson's aberdeen and Jim McLean's dundee utd - not just a force here , but also in Europe , while we were lagging behind .

Given those circumstances , where it wasn't just one team we had to overcome , it was even more remarkable. Particularly the timescale it was achieved.

Willie Waddell , quite rightly , will be regarded as the the man responsible for the Ibrox we have today , but Davies Holmes is the guy responsible for filling it .

Perfectly summed up. Waddell built it, Holmes filled it.

Not sure of his whereabouts now but I do know during his time at Rangers he had a house (holiday home) down the front of Gourock. It was above my brother-in laws parents and his Dad has always spoke greatly of David Holmes and his wife. He told me a story of his wife getting the house tidied up and saying there was a massive signing on the horizon and the plan was he was being flown into Glasgow then down to Gourock before being paraded. Turns out the plans changed at the last minute and he never came to Gourock but it was the arrival of Graeme Souness!