• Craig Moore
    • Stefan Klos
    • Fernando Ricksen
    • David Weir
    • Steven Davis
    • Carlos Bocanegra
    • Lee Mcculloch

God this is tough

Butcher-class act and a born leader who ran through walls for the club,not endeared himself with some comments in last three years though

Gough-led from the back for most of 9iar,put himself on the line and scored some important goals

Ferguson-captained a team of renowned international players,best Scottish midfielder in his era and arguably one of the best in Europe

Weir-came in for short term,played longer,loyal,strong and a gentleman on and of park,the epitome of what a Rangers captain should be

Ricksen-had a difficult start at the club,born fighter who stood up to the task when duty called

I'd love to pick them all but can only choose one,for me it has to be Gough,simply because he led our most successful spell since the Souness revolution,but they've all been great servants and rightfully deserve recognition

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since my option as taken away by that Compton character I will now re vote.

Gough of course.

Other mentions have to go to Butcher, Barry and Davie. The others were not great captains IMO and couldnt lace the mentioned players boots in terms of leadership.

And the one against Juventus. It was a 10-1 mauling over two legs, but he never gave up

Was it 10? I was sure it was 4-1 and 4-0 over two legs. It was the season when wee Alex Cleland was turned inside out by Pirlo if I recollect.

Was it 10? I was sure it was 4-1 and 4-0 over two legs. It was the season when wee Alex Cleland was turned inside out by Pirlo if I recollect.

It was two separate games in the group stage, lets stop adding them together and making it worse :P

Well when someone asks what you think a Rangers captain should be , it is always gough who pops up in my head , too young to really appreciate him playing though however he would be my choice , just summed up everything a Rangers captain should be .

Fergusson was also a good captain .

Had high hopes for Davis when he was giving the captains armband but we all know how that ended and that is a different matter for another day .

Well you learn all the time. I started watching just as Caldow broke his leg and remember my father going on about him switching to left back so thought it had happened after that. I remember Willie Mathieson coming into the team at that point so he must have replaced Caldow at that point. So many good players back then and thats not through rose tinted specs.

Yes Mathieson was in and out the side a wee while after Caldow broke his leg Wullie, but it was Davie Provan who took over from Caldow as the regular left back, and guess what, he also got his leg broken and it also ended his career at Ibrox.

:uk:

Tough question and most had different strengths but its Fernando for me. Before he was captain he was a bombscare and unpredictable but after receiving the honour he took it seriously and gave it his all. With ricksens passion and determination.

Cmon mate .1season ? Gough was inspirational for 9 and even Barry was for 3 or 4 .Your entitled to your opinion mate

Cmon mate .1season ? Gough was inspirational for 9 and even Barry was for 3 or 4 .Your entitled to your opinion mate

I know mate it seems a no brained to pick gough and he was a phenomenal captain. As was Barry but for me that one season ricksen understood what it took to become a captain of rangers and acted accordingly and captained us to helicopter Sunday. The first league win in 3 seasons. What a memory

Really tough call between Gough and Weir. I've voted for Weir. A watershed moment for me was a game against them where Davie had a terrible time against Hooper, his face was grey and he looked ill. Yet a short time later he was there lifting the League cup after beating them who were heavy favourites I recall. Also the song " we all dream of a team of Davie Weir's" sums the man up perfectly.

Yes Mathieson was in and out the side a wee while after Caldow broke his leg Wullie, but it was Davie Provan who took over from Caldow as the regular left back, and guess what, he also got his leg broken and it also ended his career at Ibrox.

:uk:

What a left hand side that was. Caldow, Provan, Mathieson left backs,Jim Baxter then Dave Smith in midfield, and Davie Wilson, Orjan Persson and Willie Johnston on the wing.

And that was the weaker side.!!!!

Richard Gough all day long for me.

However....Jimmy Nicholl must get a mention as he was made captain for his last game for Rangers which turned out to be against sellik.

He was sent off before half time for booting tommy burns into the west enclosure!!

I will do a Dude and correct you .It was McClair