It Is Only September, But I Admit It

OneDavidCooper

I was wrong about Mark Warburton

In over 40 years of football I've seen a lot of promising managers heralded for very little, only to disappear into oblivion within months. It makes you cautious, suspicious, sceptical and cynical.

When the excitement was building up about Mark Warburton's appointment I was very dubious about his credentials, not least because he'd never built a team before. I also felt that people too were focusing far too much on what he was saying rather than the bare facts. In this age of sound bites I felt there was a danger of us being fooled.

I'll admit too that I felt Stuart McCall had been dealt with very harshly both by club and fans alike.

But, regardless of what happens in the future, I am more than happy to concede I got it wrong. MW has achieved more in a footballing sense than Ally McGarden Leave achieved in the best part of 3 desperately poor years in the lower divisions.

He has produced a team to entertain, to win, to excite, to make you smile, laugh even when a certain Spurs loanee gets the ball. A side to be proud of.

He has brought in players who can play, who have desire , who play at a fast tempo.

He is a manager, one befitting this great club.

I was wrong. Totally.

He has been a breathe of fresh air, the football has been a joy to watch. I wish the games would come round quicker and I am looking forward to see how we get on against St Johnstone.

The only box left for Mr Warburton to tick is how he manages the team after their first defeat. I can see that being a while a way though.

I was wondering earlier......

Are we happy with not gaining promotion last year because as a direct result we have Warburton and are building the team we are now? Or do you think Warburton was being lined up anyway to take over from McCall if we were promoted?

I was wrong about Mark Warburton

In over 40 years of football I've seen a lot of promising managers heralded for very little, only to disappear into oblivion within months. It makes you cautious, suspicious, sceptical and cynical.

When the excitement was building up about Mark Warburton's appointment I was very dubious about his credentials, not least because he'd never built a team before. I also felt that people too were focusing far too much on what he was saying rather than the bare facts. In this age of sound bites I felt there was a danger of us being fooled.

I'll admit too that I felt Stuart McCall had been dealt with very harshly both by club and fans alike.

But, regardless of what happens in the future, I am more than happy to concede I got it wrong. MW has achieved more in a footballing sense than Ally McGarden Leave achieved in the best part of 3 desperately poor years in the lower divisions.

He has produced a team to entertain, to win, to excite, to make you smile, laugh even when a certain Spurs loanee gets the ball. A side to be proud of.

He has brought in players who can play, who have desire , who play at a fast tempo.

He is a manager, one befitting this great club.

I was wrong. Totally.

Takes a big man to admit he was wrong. I take my hat off to you Sir, metaphorically speaking.

Are we happy with not gaining promotion last year because as a direct result we have Warburton and are building the team we are now? Or do you think Warburton was being lined up anyway to take over from McCall if we were promoted?

I honestly think it will turn out to be a good thing (forgetting about financials). We now have a philosophy running through the club from kids to the first team. We are playing expansive football that is a pleasure to watch, but better teams than in the Championship may/could/will exploit. A season for the players to relax and grow into the system will do no harm at all. I think we will be more competitive when we go up as a result of this season in the Championship.

I too was dubious, but was more inclined towards him after the 6-1(agg) defeat from Motherwell.

He's right in one thing also, he's still got a lot to do and I'm now right behind him to do it as I think he and DW have a great network pool to draw from. Still, as many have said, the proof will be when he's constantly beating Premiership opposition, but I think he can do that no problem. We were in a terrible and tragic mess on the football field.

I think if we got promoted it would have been wrong not to give McCall a chance, so in a way it has been better that we have remained in the Championship.

Gives Warburton to the chance to build a team for next season, imho we won't have to add too many next season, maybe just 3 or 4 quality players.

I think Hibs have a pretty good team and can't see them dropping many points to the other teams. If they can get a run going they could do very well. I wont be happy until there is clear daylight between us and them.

Winning the Scottish Cup would be an achievement above and beyond my expectations. If he can pull that off, and win the Championship, it'll be impressive.

Short answer, yes.

I think there were a number lined up, with McCall as a fall back.

He has been a breathe of fresh air, the football has been a joy to watch. I wish the games would come round quicker and I am looking forward to see how we get on against St Johnstone.

The only box left for Mr Warburton to tick is how he manages the team after their first defeat. I can see that being a while a way though.

Fuck! You've gone and jinxed it now. doh

There were a lot of people unsure about MW maybe because not that much was known about him by a good majority of the Rangers support and others were a bit dubious because he wasn't a " Rangers Man ".Perhaps now most if not everyone will be in agreeance that MW is showing that the " Rangers Men " who were at the club before were nothing more than a bunch of incompetent imposters to football management,clueless in every department of the football side of our club.Perhaps now some will admit that the " Rangers Men " made a complete mess of it and like ODC has admitted about MW, that they got it wrong as well about the Rangers Men.

Must admit I didn't know enough about him myself so was less than impressed, then his mouth opened and his magic hat kicked in and I was won over.

Plays the game the way it should be and treats his players with respect and discipline when required. Can't ask for more in a gaffer and if the players love you they will find you that 110% on the field. It is what all the great managers have.

MW makes me think of an excuse to go to footy instead of looking for one not to in past 3years.

Thing is I love the guy but never even look at him when at game as watching game before I was so fucking bored I watched Ally and pockets to see if they were going to change it up.

Still need a good tune for Tav :crabflute:

Must admit I didn't know enough about him myself so was less than impressed, then his mouth opened and his magic hat kicked in and I was won over.

Plays the game the way it should be and treats his players with respect and discipline when required. Can't ask for more in a gaffer and if the players love you they will find you that 110% on the field. It is what all the great managers have.

:thumbup:

Top post Mal, and on the ball.

:uk:

I personally think MW was being lined up anyway, mainly because McCall's results were not as good as he himself might have hoped. Draws to Falkirk and Hearts from 2-0 up with 10 to go and only ending up 3rd, even though we got past QoS and Hibs in play-offs would have been considered by the board.