Howard Kendall Has Died Aged 69

Gaz52

He had a lot of decency. When he became Everton manager, they had been in Liverpool's shadow for a long, long time. At the beginning of the 1983-84 season, a sizeable minority of Everton fans campaigned for him to be sacked and some thugs even attacked and vandalised his house. By the end of that season, those same thugs would be denying all knowledge of it and going on the march with Howard's army. He deserved his success for the dignity he showed in the face of such adversity.

In the mid 1990s I was getting a train from Liverpool to Nottingham and Howard Kendall was sitting in front of me. I think he was probably going to Sheffield as he was appointed Sheff Utd manager a couple of weeks later. The train started getting full and there were no seats after it left Manchester. Howard stood up to let an old woman have his seat, something I should have done myself. He had no airs and graces about him, just a very nice and decent man.

I can remember him playing in the FA Cup Final as a teenager with Preston Notth End, I think he was the youngest ever at the time.

RIP.

Yeah you're right, they mentioned it on BT earlier he was the youngest ever FA cup finalist

Dunno why but always thought he was alright type of guy. Rip.

Yeah. Always seemed very decent. Good football guy, loved his club and it's sad to see him die at such a young age.

Sad news,his league winning team of 84/85 were brilliant to watch but sadly didn't get a chance to compete in the European cup because of the Heysel ban.

Kendall and Everton were the biggest losers of the Heysel ban.

They would have had a great chance in the European Cup the following season. Having said that we also benefitted from the ban, even at Everton's expense with Steven, Stevens and later McCall coming our way as an indirect result of the ban.

Ironic that it was Liverpool involved, especially as Everton have never recovered their place at the top table.

Easy to forget now but Everton were one of the big 5 in the 80s alongside Liverpool, United, Spurs and Arsenal.