Our Defence Today

TheBluebells

Now, while not the end of the world todays defeat did, once again, highlight a huge issue with out team, the defence.

Wilson had an absolute howler today and to be honest Kiernan at times wasn't much better, we allowed hibs to come at us all game and it resulted in a loss, we can throw in Foderingham flapping at the second as well.

Much like the St.Johnstone game this HAS to be a wake up call, defensive shake up in January or do we badly need the defensive mid sooner than later?

All in all not goof enough but it's been coming for a while now.

I can live with our style of play impacting our defence, for example when McGinn played the ball through to Cummings. I can deal with that.

What I can't stomach is simply ignoring the fact that defending set pieces will cost us points.

Again we didn't take our chances, but they were hardly in the game after their first goal. We let them win it through our ignorance at set pieces.

I can live with our style of play impacting our defence, for example when McGinn played the ball through to Cummings. I can deal with that.

What I can't stomach is simply ignoring the fact that defending set pieces will cost us points.

Again we didn't take our chances, but they were hardly in the game after their first goal. We let them win it through our ignorance at set pieces.

Our defending at set pieces wasn't great but for instance that through ball to Cummings seems to be something that happens a fair amount.

Personally i think we need a proper defensive mid in front of the back line to offer some protection, i think their too exposed and don't always look comfortable defending in those situations.

Our defending at set pieces wasn't great but for instance that through ball to Cummings seems to be something that happens a fair amount.

Personally i think we need a proper defensive mid in front of the back line to offer some protection, i think their too exposed and don't always look comfortable defending in those situations.

We definitely are, I was disappointed not to see Ball given a chance in at CDM. But I actually think that highlights how much Warburton doesn't rate Wilson right now.

I don't think they cut us open as much as they did at Ibrox, Wilson was the main weakness. Our defence will always look shaky when its exposed as it has been.

I think everyone agrees on the CDM point.

Aye, your point being?

Our defence has looked shaky plenty of times, I'm making a thread to discuss that, not looking for people to be dropped or calling for heads am i?

Point being we've had a brilliant season and only lost 2 games,plus this team has only been together for 4 months.

If a dodgy defence is the price to pay for watching this style of football then imo so be it.

Point being we've had a brilliant season and only lost 2 games,plus this team has only been together for 4 months.

If a dodgy defence is the price to pay for watching this style of football then imo so be it.

Right, we've got a great record this season but does that mean our weaknesses can't be discussed and hopefully worked upon?

Id rather we tightened up the defence while maintaining a good style of football personally.

And yes we've not been together long, i never said anything wrong about that I'm simply looking to discuss where i think we lack and could improve upon.

We definitely are, I was disappointed not to see Ball given a chance in at CDM. But I actually think that highlights how much Warburton doesn't rate Wilson right now.

I don't think they cut us open as much as they did at Ibrox, Wilson was the main weakness. Our defence will always look shaky when its exposed as it has been.

I think everyone agrees on the CDM point.

The substitution i think further highlighted it, he was all over the place all game.

Wonder if we will hear of Eustace news after this? I think getting that player in will settle us right down.

Right, we've got a great record this season but does that mean our weaknesses can't be discussed and hopefully worked upon?

Id rather we tightened up the defence while maintaining a good style of football personally.

And yes we've not been together long, i never said anything wrong about that I'm simply looking to discuss where i think we lack and could improve upon.

The only way the defence can be worked upon is giving them time,said it all along that for a 4-3-3 to really work you need a solid defensive midfielder and we don't have that at the moment. Halliday's a good player but he's never a DM.

(tu) Too many people seem to think it's one or the other.

A lot of our problems come from errors and general sloppy defending. Nothing to do with the style of football we play. Such a lazy excuse.

Now, while not the end of the world todays defeat did, once again, highlight a huge issue with out team, the defence.

Wilson had an absolute howler today and to be honest Kiernan at times wasn't much better, we allowed hibs to come at us all game and it resulted in a loss, we can throw in Foderingham flapping at the second as well.

Much like the St.Johnstone game this HAS to be a wake up call, defensive shake up in January or do we badly need the defensive mid sooner than later?

All in all not goof enough but it's been coming for a while now.

Agreed about Wilson, Ball should be playing in his place. Absolute nonsense about Kiernan though, other than the one ball that he didn't meet when Cummings went through tell me one aerial dual he didn't win today or when somebody went by him. His distribution was also fantastic, very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

As has been previously mentioned, we need to take the rough with the smooth in terms of our defending. We have to accept that most games we won't keep clean sheets, as a fan will I accept that as a byproduct of the good philosophy we are trying to adopt? All day long. All Hibs did today was pump the ball to Cummings and he managed to get in one of those times. The goals that we actually conceded one was a great strike and one was a mistake from a normally very reliable keeper. Especially surprising because he's very commanding in the box

November 1st and it's our first dropped points of the season.

Hivees current form is better than ours in terms of points. Hivees have just beaten us. We've been out of sorts for around 4 games now.

It's hardly a knee jerk reaction to see there's an issue.

(tu) Too many people seem to think it's one or the other.

A lot of our problems come from errors and general sloppy defending. Nothing to do with the style of football we play. Such a lazy excuse.

Aye that's what I'm getting at.

Im aware it's early days, if anything the fact people keep highlighting we're 4 months into a rebuild should mean people mentioning this is a good thing so we can continue to improve?

We defiantly need a defensive midfielder, preferably someone with plenty experience and a defender that can read the game well like Davie weir. Our squad is still young and learning

A Weir type on the field would be an excellent addition and could calm things down a bit i reckon but It's clear MW wants the same i think with Eustace.

Wilson IS shite. He is. He's just a terrible, terrible footballer. Why was he even starting after being out injured ? A fully Danny Wilson is useless never mind a half fit one.

Couldn't believe when we signed him(davie weirs recommendation) never rated him slow as hell,useless in the big games,today

And st Johnstone ,no need to bring him back today and play with 3 at the back,

Last term Wilson was made to look quite good with Hertz, until they played Celic and then he got found out.

Maybe big Davy Weir should pull on his boots again and guide young Danny.

All seven pundits in the Daily Rebel yesterday predicted a HIvs win or draw and none predicted a Gers win, maybe.