Challenge Cup Revamp

WadeWilson

After the recent League Cup changes, it looks like the SPFL are now planning to revamp the Challenge Cup competition.

They have asked UEFA's permission to allow entry for the top two teams in Northern Ireland and Wales and are also wanting to include U20 teams from the Premiership (so it is likely to still be relevant to Rangers - and something I could see Mark Warburton being very much in favour of). Teams from England's Premier League are also being sounded out about the possibility of sending U20 squads to compete in the tournament.

The proposal is for the revamped format to begin in season 2017/18.

Another hairbrained scheme but some credit must be afforded for 'thinking outside the box' I guess.

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/spfl-chiefs-propose-revamped-challenge-7207901#rlr1Df7P7LqwhCKj.97

An interesting quote from the article and food for thought for the SPFL's brave new think tank:

'Not all clubs are convinced, however. One chairman said: “It’s an interesting proposal, but quite how a potential final between Airbus UK and Crusaders would play in front of a Scottish audience is anyone’s guess.”'

MW constantly talks about the youths being tested against high class opposition. Hence, why we're sending youth teams to Spain and the Netherlands. I doubt he'd be into this tbh.

I always liked the idea of a British Cup though.

I loved that idea aswell. Merge all the league cups into one big cup. It wouldn't be possible though because Englands league cup winner get a Europa league spot, and the nationalists wouldn't allow it.

I suppose there is a possibility of the cloggers being out in force to welcome the U20 teams... But then again, it never did guys like Davie Cooper and Ally McCoist any harm when playing in the old reserve league.

Young footballers are far too mollycoddled these days... But that's another discussion altogether.

I suppose there is a possibility of the cloggers being out in force to welcome the U20 teams... But then again, it never did guys like Davie Cooper and Ally McCoist any harm when playing in the old reserve league.

Young footballers are far too mollycoddled these days... But that's another discussion altogether.

I think it's more about the 'value' of the test. MW wants our youth teams playing top opposition and to be tested. Will games against lower tier Scottish teams, Norn Iron champions and the Welsh champions provide that high a level of test he wants? Not really if we are being honest. If the top EPL teams were to send their youth teams it might be different.

lot of shite, the challenge cup was designed to allow smaller teams the chance of a wee cup run thats worth something and potentially a trophy

Fair point. (tu)

The SPFL are just firing off an idea-scattergun while blindfolded in the pitch darkness with their backs turned with these proposals.

UEFA will nip them in the bud soon enough.

UEFA won't want to open a can or worms here.

They really do not want cup competitions to spring up all over Europe* like the Scandinavian Cup, the Deutsch-Dutch Cup, the Iberian Cup, the Balkans Cup, the USSR Tribute Cup or the English-Israeli* Cup.

MW constantly talks about the youths being tested against high class opposition. Hence, why we're sending youth teams to Spain and the Netherlands. I doubt he'd be into this tbh.

I always liked the idea of a British Cup though.

British cup, you off your head. :) no ones interested

lot of shite, the challenge cup was designed to allow smaller teams the chance of a wee cup run thats worth something and potentially a trophy

It was actually designed as a One off competition to celebrate the Centenary of the Scottish Football League, the popularity of it in that Year convinced the SFL to keep it as an annuel event.

People wonder why Scotland is a football waste land. Hate the SPFL with a passion but why people are so ready to shoot down fresh initiatives is beyond me. A small step like this could be a catalyst for other crossborder tournaments and who knows where that might lead.

Rangers vs Linfield cup final would be a great day out and would have the facial recognition software working overtime d. :D

People wonder why Scotland is a football waste land. Hate the SPFL with a passion but why people are so ready to shoot down fresh initiatives is beyond me. A small step like this could be a catalyst for other crossborder tournaments and who knows where that might lead.

Rangers vs Linfield cup final would be a great day out and would have the facial recognition software working overtime d. :D

Exactly.

Think it's a great idea the thought of going to play TNS, Bangor, Cliftonville, Chelsea B etc - cracking wee trips and against the Welsh teams you could even give the likes of Hardie and Thompson some decent game time too

UEFA won't want to open a can or worms here.

They really do not want cup competitions to spring up all over Europe* like the Scandinavian Cup, the Deutsch-Dutch Cup, the Iberian Cup, the Balkans Cup, the USSR Tribute Cup or the English-Israeli* Cup.

Seen today that one of the Kaunas sides are applying to join the polish leagues, what comes of that could have huge repercussions through European football

Seen today that one of the Kaunas sides are applying to join the polish leagues, what comes of that could have huge repercussions through European football

Why do posters, not you, worry about UEFA. They are corrupt to the core and PlatinI has already demonstrated he can be, well if not bought, at least rented.

Linfield v the bheggars in Belfast would be eventful

Hadn't heard that at all. Those mad bastard Polish fans would just end up scrapping with the Lithuanians.

I'm sure the two countries had a war at one point. It would give them someone else to battle with apart from the Germans and Russians.

You're right though, the minute they let it happen on any scale, nearly every league in Europe will be wanting to merge or let a historically big team from a smaller neighbouring country in. Benfica, Ajax, Red Star, Porto, Dynamo Kiev etc. And no doubt another two examples much closer to home.