Halliday

The Rangers FC

2 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Would you have Barry McKay playing in Haliday position?

Don't forget, Haliday is playing out of position, he's a winger by trade. 

He's not good enough to play as a winger for us in the Championship so what chance has he got next season?  It's not as if he'll be in with a shout a LB while we have Lee Wallace either. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would always have McKay out wide, don't buy into this number 10. notion for two reasons, Warburton doesn't line up like that and also I think McKays pace would be wasted in a congested area of the park. 

Don't get me wrong I like Andy and delighted he is living the dream.  Jut want to see him impose himself on the game more, on his recent performances you wouldn't know he bleeds blue, never really seen him prior to playing for us so hopefully he'll be better playing in his more natural position 

9 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Going about "flattening" players is only giving the refs an excuse to book him or send him off.

If you cast your mind back to the Hibs game at Ibrox or the Morton game away you will remember that refs will use any excuse to book Andy.

Who have you seen brown run rings around this season then?

My point is that that Andy has had opportunity to win a 50/50 or at least let his counter part he's in a game. Not a fouls or go over the ball and do something daft, he doesn't seem to like the tackles that's all. 

Why would I watch Brown?  My reference to him is that he would run rings round Andy and in a physical battle Brown would also win; even if he is 'finished' as you have heard. 

Andy is an average player and sadly I don't see where he will fit into the gaffers plans except as competition for the starting 11. 

1 hour ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

He's not good enough to play as a winger for us in the Championship so what chance has he got next season?  It's not as if he'll be in with a shout a LB while we have Lee Wallace either. 

He's not playing as a winger because he's playing as a midfielder right now. In a position that there isn't anyone else to play it.

It's hard to judge Halliday as he's playing out of position, did very well early on in the season but his form has dipped as has some of the other players, but that always happens throughout a season its up to the other players to step up when some are not doing so well and vice versa.

7 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

He's not playing as a winger because he's playing as a midfielder right now. In a position that there isn't anyone else to play it.

I don't think Halliday would be better option than MOH or McKay on the wing.  Next season I'm pretty sure we'll sign a proper CDM and Halliday will no longer be playing there either.  Halliday has been a good squad player this year filling holes as and when need be but I don't see him getting as much game time next season when players of better quality come in.

Some amount of pish being spouted in this thread. 

For a start, he's an attacking midfielder 'by trade'. Also can't understand the stick some people are giving him? Minus the game vs St Johnstone, he's hardly had a bad game in a position that isn't his natural one. 

Can't remember the exact amount, but he was Livis top scorer at centre mid in his last season there, albeit a lower quality division but it shows the goal scoring ability he' got.

Would love to see us sign a tough CDM and have Andy & Holt infront of him.

4 hours ago, He's blue he's white said:

My point is that that Andy has had opportunity to win a 50/50 or at least let his counter part he's in a game. Not a fouls or go over the ball and do something daft, he doesn't seem to like the tackles that's all. 

Why would I watch Brown?  My reference to him is that he would run rings round Andy and in a physical battle Brown would also win; even if he is 'finished' as you have heard. 

Andy is an average player and sadly I don't see where he will fit into the gaffers plans except as competition for the starting 11. 

So Andy hasn't won any 50/50's this season? Away ye go with that shite.

So you haven't watched brown? Yet you think he will 'run rings' round Andy? The only person he runs rings round is himself,total headless chicken! Can't even run with a ball at his feet either.

How can you make these bold predictions about brown if you don't watch him?

If Andy is an average player then how do you rate brown?

I think it's safe to say that we would ALL love Andy to go on and be a Rangers legend.

But........he's gonna have to move into a more natural position once we sign a proven defensive midfielder (with Andy as cover)and i just don't see who would make way for him.Holt has been brilliant and Crooks will take the other midfield position imo.

He'll definitely get chances under MW and i hope he grabs the chances with both hands and plays for us for years to come.

Just for his heart and effort means he is never "an average" player imho.Andy Halliday would run through walls for us.

19 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

So Andy hasn't won any 50/50's this season? Away ye go with that shite.

So you haven't watched brown? Yet you think he will 'run rings' round Andy? The only person he runs rings round is himself,total headless chicken! Can't even run with a ball at his feet either.

How can you make these bold predictions about brown if you don't watch him?

If Andy is an average player then how do you rate brown?

You seem so intent that Brown is shite, past it and canny get a game...maybe you're the one that watches him weekly??

Perhaps I could ask you a question then, tell me a game where Halliday has bossed it?  Tell me a game where Haliday has put a physical marker down by crunching into a tackle and letting the other team they're in a game?

He bottled from Goodwin ffs, bottled against no-bodies from Kilmarnock and Morton and on Saturday just past. When there's a 50/50 to be own he's no where near the play. 

Haliday is simply not good enough, he lacks a physical presence for that role, he also lacks the ability to dictate the play for that role - when does he slow the pace down or speed it up?

get yourself to specs savers bud if you think Haliday is more than average

1 hour ago, He's blue he's white said:

You seem so intent that Brown is shite, past it and canny get a game...maybe you're the one that watches him weekly??

Perhaps I could ask you a question then, tell me a game where Halliday has bossed it?  Tell me a game where Haliday has put a physical marker down by crunching into a tackle and letting the other team they're in a game?

He bottled from Goodwin ffs, bottled against no-bodies from Kilmarnock and Morton and on Saturday just past. When there's a 50/50 to be own he's no where near the play. 

Haliday is simply not good enough, he lacks a physical presence for that role, he also lacks the ability to dictate the play for that role - when does he slow the pace down or speed it up?

get yourself to specs savers bud if you think Haliday is more than average

No mate thats not the way it is,you're shouting that he will run rings round Andy,how can you say that if you don't watch him?

I have seen enough of him from when we last played him and from Scotland games to know he is a bang average player.

The way we play football the emphasis is on team play,not on one player "bossing" it.

If you don't think Andy is a good team player then i can only assume you don't go to the games.

Also worth pointing out to you that his name is Halliday not Haliday.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

No mate thats not the way it is,you're shouting that he will run rings round Andy,how can you say that if you don't watch him?

I have seen enough of him from when we last played him and from Scotland games to know he is a bang average player.

The way we play football the emphasis is on team play,not on one player "bossing" it.

If you don't think Andy is a good team player then i can only assume you don't go to the games.

Also worth pointing out to you that his name is Halliday not Haliday.

HalLiday is living all our dreams let's be honest - but you're digressing a little now to argue that he isn't a good team player?  Where have I ever said that?

The comparison to Brown was made a while back by a few fans on here and agin in this thread, we will see the best of Halliday when we play Celtic, when he's up against Brown etc. 

My statement is that when he has had the chance to put a marker down primarily physically he hasn't - simples...and that has been against lesser opposition with less pressure on him. 

A good team player?  Of course he is, part of a full team attempting to dominate or boss the game?  Of course he is. 

Good enough to play every week next season?  Doubt it.  Strong commanding, play making midfielder?  Certainly not. 

10 minutes ago, He's blue he's white said:

HalLiday is living all our dreams let's be honest - but you're digressing a little now to argue that he isn't a good team player?  Where have I ever said that?

The comparison to Brown was made a while back by a few fans on here and agin in this thread, we will see the best of Halliday when we play Celtic, when he's up against Brown etc. 

My statement is that when he has had the chance to put a marker down primarily physically he hasn't - simples...and that has been against lesser opposition with less pressure on him. 

A good team player?  Of course he is, part of a full team attempting to dominate or boss the game?  Of course he is. 

Good enough to play every week next season?  Doubt it.  Strong commanding, play making midfielder?  Certainly not. 

And i take it you weren't digressing at all when you claimed a guy you haven't watched would run rings round Andy.

The bit where you said "a good team player?of course he is,part of a team attempting to dominate or boss the game? Of course he is"

Thats what the gaffer sees in him to offer him a new deal just 6 months into his current deal,i trust the gaffers judgement a little bit more than a guy who claims that players will run rings round our Andy,despite not watching said player who's name i will no longer mention.

We will see next season just how the gaffer wants to utilise Andy,worth bearing in mind that this season has been a huge learning curve for all of our team.

I'm sure Andy will get better and better under the gaffer.

Just now, CoplandStandBear said:

Dom Ball is better in that position.  If we had Diagouraga in January he'd have been playing and Halliday benched.  As a squad player Halliday is a decent option, but can't see him as a winger as he has no real pace or trickery.

I'd have sent Dom Ball back not good enough for me so far, Halliday way above him in that position although not playing as well now.

4 minutes ago, Smile said:

I'd have sent Dom Ball back not good enough for me so far, Halliday way above him in that position although not playing as well now.

Dom ball is a top quality player and I would have him in one of the CB positions as he has got what the two cbs don't (pace) .pity he's going back to Spurs I would keep him in a heartbeat 

Its funny how guys like AH and Waghorn get it tight yet some others who have been at the club far longer don't seem to get the same criticism.Im not really sure what its all about but there were worse performers than AH out there on Saturday yet its AH who is singled out as not good enough.I will leave it to the man that counts to make the decisions as he will sink or swim by the decisions he makes and if he thinks AH is good enough for him that's good enough for me.

22 minutes ago, CoplandStandBear said:

Dom Ball is better in that position.  If we had Diagouraga in January he'd have been playing and Halliday benched.  As a squad player Halliday is a decent option, but can't see him as a winger as he has no real pace or trickery.

I agree, and its odd that he has been given an extended contract on what i presume to be better terms? 

Not saying he's terrible as i want all our players to excel. Just feel we need a presence there as team is pretty small. We could use a midfield enforcer with a bit more pace than what Andy offers.

I believe that not only AH but our midfield in general is lacking quality.  We have not one player who can control the game, make a telling pass that takes out 3 or 4 defenders or who can dominate the game like Gazza did versus the sheep.

So without demeaning AH who will be part of next seasons squad, we need to add some real quality to midfield.  Hopefully the boss and Mcpharland already have someone in mind for that role.

3 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

I believe that not only AH but our midfield in general is lacking quality.  We have not one player who can control the game, make a telling pass that takes out 3 or 4 defenders or who can dominate the game like Gazza did versus the sheep.

So without demeaning AH who will be part of next seasons squad, we need to add some real quality to midfield.  Hopefully the boss and Mcpharland already have someone in mind for that role.

We have Josh Windass and Matt Crooks coming in who can both play in midfield so it will be interesting to see where they fit and who drops out.  We need a quality centre back, midfielder and striker for me and some competition at full back.

7 minutes ago, Bearsden bear said:

I agree, and its odd that he has been given an extended contract on what i presume to be better terms? 

Not saying he's terrible as i want all our players to excel. Just feel we need a presence there as team is pretty small. We could use a midfield enforcer with a bit more pace than what Andy offers.

Too many negative bastards on here, leave the decisions to the boss. In Warburton we trust!

That cunt Brown is the most overrated player in Scotland, he's fucken rotten, would never get into this Rangers team, the man's a fucken thug.