Favourite game at Hampden

WGOH

Ah great, another thread where I can post big Tam's goal in the 1973 cup final...........then move on to Davie Cooper and sandy Jardine's goals in the Drybrough Cup Final, might even sneak in a wee mention for the Real Madrid European Cup winning Hampden team of 1960 or mention Zidane's great goal in the 2002 final or............but wait.....

Let's come closer to the present. 

The greatest of the more recent games for me at Hampden was the resurrection of the greatest Glasgow derby of all.

We had played Queen's Park earlier in the season at Ibrox, 50,000+ fans enjoying a  2-0 Rangers win.

But on 29th December 2012, a day the two great teams who invented Scottish football and whose achievements are legendary met again in a fourth division match at Hampden which attracted 30,000 fans, and which we won with a late Fraser Aird goal. 

For me there was something wonderful and nostalgic about those games against Queen's Park. a renewal of a century old rivalry which were played in the most pleasant of atmospheres. where respect was shown  by both fans and club to each other.

A true, fairly played, enjoyable Glasgow derby, (unlike the other one),  which gladdened the heart of this Glaswegian football fan.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Ah great, another thread where I can post big Tam's goal in the 1973 cup final...........then move on to Davie Cooper and sandy Jardine's goals in the Drybrough Cup Final, might even sneak in a wee mention for the Real Madrid European Cup winning Hampden team of 1960 or mention Zidane's great goal in the 2002 final or............but wait.....

Let's come closer to the present. 

The greatest of the more recent games for me at Hampden was the resurrection of the greatest Glasgow derby of all.

We had played Queen's Park earlier in the season at Ibrox, 50,000+ fans enjoying a  2-0 Rangers win.

But on 29th December 2012, a day the two great teams who invented Scottish football and whose achievements are legendary met again in a fourth division match at Hampden which attracted 30,000 fans, and which we won with a late Fraser Aird goal. 

For me there was something wonderful and nostalgic about those games against Queen's Park. a renewal of a century old rivalry which were played in the most pleasant of atmospheres. where respect was shown  by both fans and club to each other.

A true, fairly played, enjoyable Glasgow derby, (unlike the other one),  which gladdened the heart of this Glaswegian football fan.

The Original Glasgow Derby ! 

League cup final against Dundee United in 2008 

we were rotten that day Chris burke had maybe the worst performance I ever seen in a Rangers player 

but we somehow managed to win and sicken they yes voting cunts what a day 

8 hours ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Na this is the best ever, soaked tae the skin in the North Enclosure, 10 men, Super Swally, Gooooaaal ! :sherlock:

I was just about to say the same thing!  I was wringing wet before I got to the end of my street on the way to the bus. 

I was north enclosure that night as well. 

As posted earlier, the '76 semi final against Motherwell. Atmosphere was brilliant that night.

The final against Hearts is a close second as it was my first final, I was in the Hearts end as a 10 year old with my old man who was so smashed he could barely stand up.

The 1980 final was fun other than the result.

I was lucky to be at the '79 Drybrough cup final too.

I've got plenty of special memories of Hampden but for me one stands on its own and that's Lovenkrands 2002. 

1. Scottish cup FINAL .

2. V celt*c

3. Played great football.

4.Came back twice.

5. Three great goals .

6. Last minute winner.

7. Mcleish reaction.

8. Long ball O'Neils reaction.

9. Party afterwards.

10. Love watching highlights as much as Manchester run.

Bonus is memory of Sutton attempting to play centre half .??

19 hours ago, Smile said:

Was that not at the Time when Jaap Stam had been scouted by Man united and we were looking at Numan and he was the better player in the Euros. My memory pish so days and dates are sometimes wrong. :)

I remember thinking Numan fucking excellent, much better than Stam.

Changed days eh? At that time Numan was arguably the best left back in the world.... 

Whereas now Waldo is indisputably the best left back in the world. 

Have already said the 3-0 beating of the beggars in the 63 replay. Would also like to mention the 73 Final when we beat them 3-2 with Tam Forsyth scoring the winner. The reason this match sticks in my memory is that I had come up the road from London the day before and was in the pub on the Saturday without a ticket and not sure what to do. This particular boozer was mixed and some guys who drunk in this pub were going to the match,problem was they were going on the beggars bus. They asked me why I wasn't going and I said it was because I didn't have a ticket. They suggested I go up on the beggars bus and I would get a ticket at Hampden. After a few drinks I got brave enough to agree to this and one of them was the ex CE at porkheed who thought it was fuckin hilarious. It was a laugh going up except there were cunts on that bus who would've liked to have a go at me. Not saying any of these guys were best mates but guys I drunk with. After we won the cup i came back on the train. The next time I saw them they were asking what happened to me as they waited ages. I told them it might've been a laugh going up but there was no way I would've survived a trip back. Strange but true. :lol::uk: 

I had a look at that final I was talking about, the one in 96, and it's even better than I remembered it. Winning 5-1, but really, we only lost a goal because we were showboating in periods.  That has to be up there with one of the all time great Scottish Cup Final performances.

21 hours ago, glasgow argyle said:

we were singing in the rain that night, it chucked it down all night 1.0, great 10 man performance, i thought Nigel Spackman was special that night.

a certain Ally got the winner

It's funny I don't even remember the rain I just remember the derision when Waddell once again showed why we had a song just for him :pipe:

One of my favourite memories of Hampden was 27th May 1972.  Scotland vs England when  Scotland lost to an Alan Ball, I think, goal in front of 120k fans.

What made the day memorable was being in the Rangers End  with suntanNed bears wearing Sombreros and carrying stuffed donkeys we had brought back from Barcelona.  Many of us had just arrived back the night before.

Watching players like Banks, Hughes, storey, Ball, Law, Hartford with a bunch of like minded, and still pished, Scotland fans was a great wy for a 15 yeAR old to top of a fantastic week.