Favourite game at Hampden

WGOH

Was at the Cooper goal final which was fantastic but big Tam's final has a variety of memories for me from being up in a ram packed dust filled Rangers end when the King of Ibrox equalised to ending up in the first aid room and then watching the 2nd half next to the photographers behind our goal and finally to the wild celebrations at the end and the lifting of the cup. Just brilliant. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant to see so many different games being mentioned, I am too young to have been at most pre 96, but just shows how many great days there have been following the famous :pipe: 

19 minutes ago, Smile said:

Was that not at the Time when Jaap Stam had been scouted by Man united and we were looking at Numan and he was the better player in the Euros. My memory pish so days and dates are sometimes wrong. :)

I remember thinking Numan fucking excellent, much better than Stam.

I think that was the World Cup in France two years later mate. I remember seeing Numan, and I think he scored for the Netherlands in one of the matches, and we knew he was coming, and thinking "wow". That Hampden final in 96 was special; possibly the best that particular team played that day. Laudrup and Durie ran riot.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

I think that was the World Cup in France two years later mate. I remember seeing Numan, and I think he scored for the Netherlands in one of the matches, and we knew he was coming, and thinking "wow".

I Have a piss poor memory but i do remember making the comparison between him and Stam and thinking the same.

9 minutes ago, Smile said:

I Have a piss poor memory but i do remember making the comparison between him and Stam and thinking the same.

My memory is fading as well, Numan didn't score in that World Cup at all; but I do remember being mightily impressed that we were getting a player of his quality! The thing with Vialli still hurts, because we would have had close on the complete team had he signed. It was also extremely rare for us to be linked to a player in such a high profile manner and not get him.  We got Albertz that summer, and we played Arsenal in Richard Gough's testimonial; he was impressive that day. 

1999 1-0 win v them to win the treble

Wee Rod the prod Wallace with the winner for the opening of the new Hampden 

not not a great spectacle , but the importance of it after losing 10 in a row the yr before 

Been lucky enough to be at Hampden basically every time since the Lovendkrands final, but as a 6-year-old boy, I think that goal was what made me fall in love with Rangers can just remember sheer euphoria around the living room watching that, probably my first real memory of Rangers as well. 

1986-7 v the tims. 

Maybe not the most exciting , but to me ,  one of the most important. Souness had arrived after years in the doldrums .

It was the first trophy Souness won , a prelude to winning the league championship that year , and the start of one of our best eras. 

Favourite is first league cup final with Coopers free kick and a curler in top corner from Ian Redford some goals

Any win against the scum since but there have been so many  Coisty hat trick 84 Coopers penalty 86, roll on the next one

2 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

1963 Scottish Cup replay in front of 130,000 and it was Brand Wilson and Brand again for a 3-0 win. Not sure if the beasts had a shot at us. 

yes that was special, my only regret was this happened only 6 years after  we shared 8 goals with septic.

i cannot bring myself to declare that score.

and a missed opportunity to shut them up,as this was so one sided

3 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

No question, 3-2 final, lovenkrands last minute. 

Best day out of my life following rangers. Better than Manchester. v

best after 63 final 3-0 drubbing of Septic.

to win against them with a last minute winner was a fantastic experience.

i had £80 on at 11/8 to win in 90 minutes, so maybe i am biased.

i was delirious and pissed that night for sure

2 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

For some reason the one I remember most is the Old Firm game where the disgraceful andrew waddell sent off David Robertson early doors 

we were singing in the rain that night, it chucked it down all night 1.0, great 10 man performance, i thought Nigel Spackman was special that night.

a certain Ally got the winner