A change of formation needed or

KingKirk

Just better players required in the same formation. Personally I think that is all that's required. Yes we are open at the back and alot of pressure is put on the 2 cb's. I accept tho this is the style Warburton wants and am 100% behind that.

watching rangers has aas been a bit like arsenal play lovely football but sometimes no end product. we need a stronger spine  centre half  centre mid and centre forward   also we have to get more physicality in the team  i think we are as good as anyone but most premier teams are very strong and physical not as technically gifted as us.

i heard houston say after the game yesterday that the difference with a premier league team is they are stronger and more physical and he is right

There's nothing wrong with the formation - just much better players needed.

I'm sorry and I know I will get rounded on for this but the confirmed signings of Barton and Rossiter will now hopefully mean Halliday and Holt are the back up/squad options. They two will give us the bit of spine and bite in the middle of the park that will stop late collapses like Saturday and having our defence put under so much pressure.

A really good striker and one (but two would be better) centre halfs and we will be almost there IMO.

Last night I watched Sevilla v Barca. 

Sevilla outran, outfought and out jumped Barca. It was very similar to our game v Hibs in the sense that Barca kept trying to play but we're being bullied. Difference was they recognised it and defended for their lives. 

Long story short......when it works for us it's beautiful. When it doesn't, we need to learn to fight. If Barca don't see it as beneath them to do the hard dirty work then neither should we. 

The current formation is okay but a 4-1-3-2 would be more effective if we sign a solid striker to play alongside Waggy or put Windass up front with him. McKay. Barton (if he signs) and Forrester for the three with Crooks as DM. Still need more defenders though. Rossiter, Halliday, Holt, MOH, Miller, Burt and Hardie all good back-ups plus a loanee or two and we'll be in 'good shape' 

Football is such diverse game and can be played in almost any formation, but you can't beat skill and that's what Rangers are lacking and with no real game changing money for to buy skill we are are going to struggle, and that's what worries me about Warburton. It's a new phase and Warburton has to realise that you have to change your game plan to suit the opposition.

The system is great and it works when we click which it has done for 90% of the season.

I think we will see much more of MOH up front next season which will be a refreshing option to Miller.

The new lads coming in, Crooks (& Barton,) will add defensive cover and 1 or 2 additions at the back will sure us up.

Id also like to see a plan B striker coming in to offer something different.....a big man perhaps who can get on the end of crosses but wouldn't affect the system or the shape against a more rugged opposition.

Sorry to say this, but I think we need to look at the goalie position.  Love the big guy but he is far from SPL quality.  Yes he can kick with 2 feet but he goes down in installments.  Tav is another. I think we are missing a trick with him.  I think he needs employed further up the park.  Certainly, defensively, he costs us in a lot of games.  Stokes embarrassed him Saturday and Stokes is no great shakes.  I agree we need another center half and if barton signs the next signing should be a center forward of significant quality.  But goalie and RB worry me against good sides especially

We've played some fantastic football this year. If we get better players to replace the squad players then some of the first team become squad players and we improve. If we stop giving away cheap goals and we get players capable,of splitting open teams with 10 behind the ball we'll be laughing.

two centre backs and a cover full back for both sides (think a much better version of Broadfoot) a winger and a striker or two just hope we never see Waggy wide again he is so much better upfront rather than wide.

Oh and if we can have a striker like Nikola Zigic as an option then we would be in far better shape for a plan b.

3 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

two centre backs and a cover full back for both sides (think a much better version of Broadfoot) a winger and a striker or two just hope we never see Waggy wide again he is so much better upfront rather than wide.

Oh and if we can have a striker like Nikola Zigic as an option then we would be in far better shape for a plan b.

I think Waghorn is better from the right. He just wasn't fit at the weekend.

Better players who are able to cope with set pieces. Our general tactics and formation are spot on, we just need the players who can play it properly.

Hopefully someone has the stats but at least 50% of our goals conceded this season must have been through set pieces and I'd wager a decent percentage of the rest will be through unforced errors.

8 minutes ago, TheMurray83 said:

Waggy right. MOH though the middle.  I think that would be an excellent partnership

Must admit I agree with the other guy waghorn middle and MOH right if I had to pick them both

3 major issues:

1.  A new CB.  We need someine who can really dominate the box.  Happy to give either DW or FK a chance to improve to make the first xi and keep the other as a sub.

2.  A solid right back.  Tav is powderpuff in defence.  He's actually worse than Ricky Foster.  Tav has fantastic ability going forward.  I'd happily gave him as RW, doubling back without possession and right up to the byline with possession.

We won't win #55 with Tav in the back 4.

3.  Tactics.  Right now we are a dream to play against for a counter attacking time.  A better side than hibs could have scored about 7 or 8 against us on Saturday.  Stokes and Cummings gad crazy amount if space and all season we've had our centrebacks exposed 2v2 and 2v3.  This is a tactically error.  We aren't getting the balance right.  If we are going to push the WBs so high we need the opposite WB and CDMs to slot in to prevent counters.  We aren't doing that right.