The late, great George Best

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As soon as I seen Harry Forrester playing, I knew his style reminded me of someone but for the life of me couldn't work out who it was.

Just watched a couple of clips of GB and realised that Harry has a style and attitude on the park, that closely resembles GB.

Even down to the fact that he seems to favour a long sleeved top.

George in his prime was IMO world class but unfortunately a 'flawed genius'

Anyone else consider them, to have very similar footballing styles?

3 hours ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Does he not hold the record for most goals scored in a match?

Holds the joint record for the most goals by a Manchester United player in a single match, six against Northampton Town F.C., FA Cup fifth round on. February 8 1970. Harold Halse scored 6 against Swindon Town in the 1911 FA Charity Shield

2 hours ago, burnbank bear said:

replace catholics with taigs in your google search and youll get on better ..might have been his book or program about his life 

Only link I could find was, " We knew we were different from Catholics. As a lad I'd go throwing stones at Catholic lads from the Short Strand which was just across the road. It was nothing personal. We didn't really understand the larger picture."

Billy Bingham

6 hours ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

He was a Rangers man (apparently) so I guess it qualifies?

6 hours ago, BF2 said:

Because he came from Northern Ireland?  Grew up a Wolves fan I heard.

I remember on an early Michael Parkinson interview that he was asked, "what would you be doing if your were not playing football" - he replied, "the very same as all the people my age; I'd be chucking stones at the kaffliks".

1 minute ago, gmcf said:

Excellent clip (tu)

I can still remember this when it happened and always reminds me of GB. 

It was my first game I attended,I remember all the Scottish fans staying in houses all around Windsor and Sandy Row and partying all weekend......simply would not happen now which is kind of sad given the clowns who follow Scotland  now

4 hours ago, Eck the bear said:

I have two or three of his books, Rangers don't get mentioned in any of them as far as i'm aware.

Outside of Rangers, I was brought up GB being my idol - and I have never heard of him being a Rangers supporter, wish I had, but pie in the sky stuff.

9 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

It was my first game I attended,I remember all the Scottish fans staying in houses all around Windsor and Sandy Row and partying all weekend......simply would not happen now which is kind of sad given the clowns who follow Scotland  now

Yeah back in the 70's it seemed the majority of Scotland fans were Bears. Sadly , as you say , times have changed and I don't think it's still the case.

I think the support still there , but , like me , no longer attend the games . 

4 hours ago, Vercingetorix said:

If George Best was playing in the modern game he'd be the best in the world the guy was a genius aye he ruined himself through drink back then but today's players are brought up differently with the right guidance he'd be a super star. With the protection modern players get Best would be sensational, as would many of the skillful players of that generation the kicking's those guys took back then was shocking it was nothing but out and out thuggery they would thrive in today's game.

Yes with the protection from referees, the far superior playing surfaces he'd be a super star.  That's assuming he'd have a different lifestyle.  Back then it was common for players to be piss artists, many professionals smoked.  These days you've got to meet a certain standard of fitness and Best would have to be more professional if he wanted to play at the top.   

3 minutes ago, Briton said:

Yes with the protection from referees, the far superior playing surfaces he'd be a super star.  That's assuming he'd have a different lifestyle.  Back then it was common for players to be piss artists, many professionals smoked.  These days you've got to meet a certain standard of fitness and Best would have to be more professional if he wanted to play at the top.   

Aye mate it was a different world back then, it Best was about today and as you say was a true professional there would be no touching him the guy is up there with the top players the game has produced.

5 hours ago, Vercingetorix said:

If George Best was playing in the modern game he'd be the best in the world the guy was a genius aye he ruined himself through drink back then but today's players are brought up differently with the right guidance he'd be a super star. With the protection modern players get Best would be sensational, as would many of the skillful players of that generation the kicking's those guys took back then was shocking it was nothing but out and out thuggery they would thrive in today's game.

Perhaps, but there's lots more different drinks available now - even different types of vodka and white wine brands available.

7 hours ago, WGOH said:

I'll say it, Bears Den?

Yes, for three reasons. 

1) One of the greatest players to have ever played at Ibrox, and I was honoured to be there. 

2) The only non-Rangers player this Gers fan ever made the reason to attend a Scottish league game not involving Rangers. 

3) Inspired the song "Simply The Best" which is our Ibrox signature tune........................

7 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Yes, for three reasons. 

1) One of the greatest players to have ever played at Ibrox, and I was honoured to be there. 

2) The only non-Rangers player this Gers fan ever made the reason to attend a Scottish league game not involving Rangers. 

3) Inspired the song "Simply The Best" which is our Ibrox signature tune........................

In response to your three points...

1) Many a world class player has played at Ibrox, should we fill the bears den with a thread for them all?

2) Nobody cares about your personal life.

3) You made that up.

George’s Dr said right Mr Best, do you want the good news or the bad news.

I’d like the bad news first says George,

Ok says Doc, you have 60 minutes to live,

Goodness, what’s the good news, says George,

Well, says the Dr, its happy hour at the bar.

8 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

In response to your three points...

1) Many a world class player has played at Ibrox, should we fill the bears den with a thread for them all?

2) Nobody cares about your personal life.

3) You made that up.

1) Good idea. Go for it, would be a great thread. Part of the pleasure of being a Gers fan is you get to see so many great players,at Ibrox., for me the likes of Kempes, Cruyff, Bonhof, Lubanski and my favourite Neeskens :thumbup:

2) I do.

3) Have you checked the facts. Show me the proof.

3 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

I always think he never seemed like a British player more latin perhaps? They do say that genius is about being completely different from those around you and that may have been where his style came from

I always thought he was more Babylonian