Neil McCann

ready1873

A good wee player but not quite top notch level. 28 caps was probably about right for him. He was a typical winger as in very inconsistent. He put in some of the best and worst performances I have seen from a Rangers player of that era. I hope that doesn't sound too negative, he certainly delivered for us more than he failed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My very first memory of him was when he ripped us to shreds at the tattie dome despite us winning in the 4-3 game where Gazza and McCoist had their infamous game, so when he signed for us I was genuinely excited, and absolutely not disappointed.

For me he was the best crosser of a ball I have seen in my lifetime at Ibrox. He always knew where to put it and most often than not it was on a plate for his teammates. His double at the tattie dome will be forever remembered but his contribution in the 6-1 game against Dunfermline will never be forgotten. IMO, we may very well not have won the league that day had he not come off the bench and played an instrumental part in every goal in the 2nd half. I rate his time with us very highly. He had pace, trickery, vision, was a great crosser, could finish and was just an old throw back winger that you tend not to see these days.

In addition to his playing ability, the way in which he has conducted himself in a punditry position is been a huge credit to the man and as such, I hold him in the utmost respect. The way he speaks about us is fantastic but at the same time he calls it as he sees it and isn't scared to critique us constructively where appropriate, and most often than not I tend to agree. 

Top player and a top bloke (tu)

Apart when he ripped us to shreds in the 1998 cup final against Hearts at the piggery, McCann rightly goes down in my book as a Rangers legend. One of the finest crossers of a ball I've even seen in a blue shirt. :praise:

What was tht song we had for him hes a tim but hes alright lol that says it all for me. For a tim to become alright is a miracle and i doubt il ever use hes a tim but hes alright ever again.

I agree with goat il always remember him as tht guy who scored they 2 goals at the piggery as the best win ever in my lifetime and the game il never stop watching.

6 hours ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Great player. Surprised that he only played 28 times for Scotland, anybody known why?

He had a bit of a stereotypical 'classic' wingers career, coupled with Craig Brown being in charge.

McConnell maybe had 3 good seasons, and the rest was a career of inconsistency and average - with the odd sublime game - in between.

He had 2 fantastic seasons with us though, then started to slip back a bit. On form he was terrific.

IMO his best form was when he was competing with Lovenkrands for the LW slot. Funnily enough that was also maybe Lovenkrands best too. Lovenkrands was lightning fast in his early 20s, and we really had 2 great and different attacking options there.

9 hours ago, don logan said:

Great wee player but missed an absolute sitter in the Champions League which would have took us to the group stages and that's my abiding memory of him.

Aw come on, man!

That was a massive miss. Remember it well. 6 yard free header straight at the goalie. Would've taken us through had he scored, as he should have. Easier to score.

But that'll never be my abiding memory of him!

9 hours ago, JockyWilsonspants said:

A good wee player but not quite top notch level. 28 caps was probably about right for him. He was a typical winger as in very inconsistent. He put in some of the best and worst performances I have seen from a Rangers player of that era. I hope that doesn't sound too negative, he certainly delivered for us more than he failed.

If you look at the squads around then, he should have had more IMO.

Don't think he was as inconsistent as some say. Smashing wee player. £2 Million was a bargain in the end.

In my time as far as wingers go... Laudrup > Walters > McCann. 

3rd best out of those three, but that's a high fucking standard.

1 hour ago, Inigo said:

If you look at the squads around then, he should have had more IMO.

Fair enough.  He might have deserved more caps, but I dont think its a footballing injustice that he only got 28 of them. Plenty of worse players have more caps than McCann, and im sure a number of better players have less caps than him. I'd imagine playing wingers was not an optimum choice for Scottish national managers when playing away from home. I suppose what im saying is that there may have been times McCann deserved a starting place, but I doubt the Scottish footballing public were up in arms at his exclusion.

My three abiding memories of NMcC are when he tore us apart at the piggery,then again on the last day of the season at Tynecastle (our nine in a row year) and of course again at the piggery when he was at last one of us and totally destroyed the scum, oh what memories. One of the best modern players we have had.

To my shame I actually forgot about his very important second half assists in the Dunfermline game, that debatably without him we would not have won the league that day, I can only blame euphoria for this and of course  bow my head in disgust ....:lol:

He has not forgotten also to let people know how he relished being a Rangers player, but is not blind to our frailties as he has shown in his fair commentary position he now holds as a pundit.

Definitely a favourite and deserving of the title legend.

:7325:

Great player and great man. Loved to watch him play. Those 2 goals at ybe San Giro are right up there as favourites.

He is also an excellent pundit and is objective which is something ex veptic players don't know the meaning of.

He also gave us THAT smile at the semi final.

15 hours ago, ready1873 said:

Its incredible, for me anyway, to think of McCann as an older player, and a legend. But to you slightly older bears (not 'old' at all) how did you rate him ?  

I'll alway remember him scoring at the piggery when we won the league there, running behind the goal celebrating!, great wee player, who left too early IMO, Southampton I think he went to?

11 hours ago, pollok-bear said:

What was tht song we had for him hes a tim but hes alright lol that says it all for me. For a tim to become alright is a miracle and i doubt il ever use hes a tim but hes alright ever again.

I agree with goat il always remember him as tht guy who scored they 2 goals at the piggery as the best win ever in my lifetime and the game il never stop watching.

The look of sheer jubilation on his face as he wheeled away after scoring the first goal was brilliant, but the look of total surrender on the faces of the tarriers defenders when he waltzed through them and slotted the ball into the empty net was fucking priceless. :praise::thumbup: