What are we expecting next season from Alan Hutton?

Boab

Do we want him to keep playing the way he was before the end of the season? Or could he improve on his crossing or dribbling or positioning?

He is a dead cert for right back or is he?

I always enjoy his overapping runs and hope they continue.

Could he be the 1st choice Scotland right back?

Over to you....

Do we want him to keep playing the way he was before the end of the season? Or could he improve on his crossing or dribbling or positioning?

Over to you....

Sure to be #1 at Ibrox next season. Needs a touch of competition there though.

He's 22 and not at his best yet - can only get better.

His all round game has vastly improved. His dribbling at pace is excellent, as is his positional sense. And getting better too.

His crossing is hit and miss - can be spot on and can be off the mark too.

As for Scotland, surely there's no competition - he's the best FB in Scotland imo.

Over to you....

His all round game has vastly improved. His dribbling at pace is excellent, as is his positional sense. And getting better too.

As for Scotland, surely there's no competition - he's the best FB in Scotland imo.

Well in my opinion there is always room for improvent. He picked up tremendously in the 2nd half of last season. So really I would want mroe of the same from him and a bit more savvy with being able to track back quickly enough after one of his jaunts upfront

As long as starts the new season (and continues) the way he finshed the last, then i reckon the natural progression will be for Hutton to improve. He could be better with his crosses and positioning is a bit suspect at times. That said definetly 1st choice for the right-back slot.

(tu)

hopefully he carrys on the way he ended the season,

and if he does this he will continue to improve :P

there will be no pressure on him 2 improve if he continues the way he did in the 2nd half of the season which should help him, and his confidence should be high right now, leading 2 a even better player ;D Keep it up Hutton . (tu)

Over to you....

Absolutely outstanding second half to the season as you point out Boab - cant see any realistic competition for his berth from the current staff.

Yes his crossing could be improved and he needs to cut out that occasional rash element to his game - but his runs last season were brilliant and at times were our only apparent outlet.

Fully deserves to be 1st choice Scotland right back imo.

If I was WS I would just say to Hutton keep improving, hes going to special I can feel it :D

Why hes not RB for Scotland I don't know that Alexander is a big lump eh shite!

If he plays like he did from around late October last year until May, then that will be more than good enough for me.

Always room for improvement of course but the quality he showed in that period plus his improved fitness, commitment and professionalism should set the standard for the rest of the squad to adopt if we want to win titles.

The most improved player in Scottish football last year without a doubt. I think he is a player who needs a run of games to get his own confidence up. He is affected more than most from criticism from the stands. As for improving,well i am sure every player can improve and i am sure once he takes McGeady out of his back pocket and hands him back to the piggery his pace will pick up. More of the same but never forget his position is as a defender

He is affected more than most from criticism from the stands.

I'd actually disagree with that mate.

I think Alan Hutton is one of those rare Rangers players who uses the often OTT criticism of his play to his advantage. When he broke into the team a few years back he looked a fine prospect and every bear I spoke to said as much. After his broken leg he couldn't recapture that same form and fitness and many fans turned on him.

Instead of letting this criticism worsen his game, he used the challenge to improve every aspect of his game to get back to the kind of level we seen 2/3 years ago.

I can't give the lad enough credit for refusing to let the boo-boys affect his Rangers career. I sincerely hope he improves further this year as if he can, we'll have our best right back since Gary Stevens at last.

For the first half of the season, i believed Huttons problem was he clashed with Burke. Hutton always wanted to play the winger, end to end stuff.. and they just fucked it up royally.

As soon as Walter came in, burke is no where to be seen and hutton can play the football he wants, as novo on the right won't get in his way.

What we need is someone to partener hutton on the right, and know their game inside out, so we don't get this burke/hutton catastrophy we had beginning of the first season.

Alan has set himself a standard of play that he must maintain this season.The main difference last season was his consistancy.Game by game he improved from being a suspect defender into probably the best full back in the SPL. However other teams now know what to expect from him and will be setting up to deal with his runs from deep. Ii think Walter will be aware of this and now we have a lot of pace in the side it can only enhance Alans style of play.Word of warning about his aggressive nature.While his comittment is admirable and should be encouraged he has a tendancy to get heated in the tackle and we dont want to see him having suspensions down to stupid reactions.Overall he will be a really important member of the team and I for one cant wait to see him excel this season.

Over to you....

You said Scotland, surely he's better than Graham Alexander and even Murty? :blush:

Huttons form in the second half of the season was excellent, in fact id go as far to say that he was our best player from january onwards.

he needs to keep that up, he can defend well, he gets forward and causes problems, also he has pitched in with a couple of goals.

he will get credit where its due

He seemed a yard quicker the second half of the season which made him more exciting going forward and quicker to get back. If this new fitness coach is as good as he is being touted to be I'm looking for great things from Hutton this season.

I think we need some quality in front of him - i dont think it was any coincidence that we saw the best of Hutton when Novo was playing in front of him. Novo back-tracked more than any other Ger last year (excluding perhaps Fergie) and that gave Hutton the confidence to stretch his legs and get forward.

Couple that with some great challenges and the crowd reacting to him chasing lost causes ( the one where he chased down & robbed Hart with a great challenge - and squared for Boydys hat-trick against the Sheep springs to mind) meant that AH really had turned a corner.

When Burke was in front of him, it shackled Hutton.

Alot will fall on the young guys shoulders this year - after such a good end to last, but a lot will depend on who is in front of him & what system he is employed in

Just keep up the good work.

If he plays the way he did in the later part of the seaon I will be more than happy.

As for the Scotland team, he should definetly be in with a shout, should he continue his good form.

Over to you....

Continue his form from the end of last season and he'll continue to be number 1 regardless of who we have or sign.

As for Scotland, the only serious competition he should have is Wilson at the manks and he's focking shite in comparison. :craphead:

I'd just like him to consistantly perform the way he did from January onwards. He's only 22 so he will only get better. He still gives away needles fouls now and again so he could do with cutting that out and improving on his final ball. He is by far the best RB in the country and is a lot better than Whittaker, Wilson, Murty and Graeme Alexander. Surely Big Eck see's this aswell?

We also need to get in a hard working, quality RM/W who will help Hutton out.