Mark Warburtons AGM Speech

RFCRobertson

3 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

I don't know why you're responding that way, have I argued with you before on this? I don't think I have. You have your own measures for young players so I'm not going to bother. It's went from 21 or younger, to 20 or younger...

Virtually two thirds of the squad is 25 or younger, with only two 'veterans' playing in the immediate squad regularly.

It isn't really up for debate.

To be fair, your first sarcastic response set the tone. We'll agree to differ, but I don't think he can keep using the excuse of having a 'young' squad to explain the piss poor results against piss poor opposition. Most of our youngest players aren't even playing regularly.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, FSM said:

To be fair, your first sarcastic response set the tone. We'll agree to differ, but I don't think he can keep using the excuse of having a 'young' squad to explain the piss poor results against piss poor opposition. Most of our youngest players aren't even playing regularly.

I'm the first to criticise him believe me, I just agree with him that we do have a young squad.

After all, age doesn't excuse aimless passing in the defence for all 5 minutes of injury time when drawing with Ross County away.

I reckon if they actually came out at the start of the season and basically said this season is the rebuilding process, we want to challenge the tarriers but 2nd and a return to European football was the minimum requirement then fans would almost accept it. Many of us believed we were to far away anyway in our first season back but for the club to peddle this going for 55 pish as if it was a real possibility having spent less than £2mill is an embarrassment.

I believe in the manager and I fully expect a title win next year, providing he gets the funds!

I've just watched it and it annoys me (shock horror I can hear some of you say reading it) but it's frustrating because he's articulate, well spoken and obviously spent hours preparing the intro/speech ... it get's people gleaming with pride thinking he's some man and what a club we are (not that that's a bad thing) but it clouds our judgement I feel and takes away from what's right in front of us and that''s that we are absolutely dire on the footballing side - and that's his responsibility (although not backed well enough by the guys in control of our club)

I just want to cut right through the bullshit ... if you are going to applaud that speech and brim with pride, I expect him to be grilled after it and told it's not good enough and that we deserve better and he better sort it. 

7 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Walter spent a lot more in 08 than what warburton has ever had.. he also deployed the famous anti football tactics in Europe  and even against the great unwashed. Add to the fact he is far more experienced in management than warburton.  It's totally wrong to compare the 2

I'm comparing the difference in teams to the ones that we play/played. 

Hate that pish about anti football. Football is football no matter how it's played. It's called being a tactical genius imo. If we went for it against those teams we'd have been smashed 

5 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

Hate that pish about anti football. Football is football no matter how it's played. It's called being a tactical genius imo. If we went for it against those teams we'd have been smashed 

After 2012, every man, woman and dog was crying out to take advantage of the opportunity to start tactically afresh. Everyone wanted a young playing squad playing an attractive brand of football. This was never realised under McCoist.

Warburton has been here for 18 months and has implemented this strategy. There are obvious defensive frailties and weaknesses to the system that have been exploited this season, however to just abandon the philosophy to resort to defensive football with the players we have at our disposal is nothing short of lunacy.

Easier said than done but if we can invest in our defence and find a consistent goal scorer then we aren't far away at all. Warburton has already visibly tinkered with his system this season, Garner being a prime example for more direct play. It's my opinion that he'll come good IF backed properly by the Board.

EDIT: Unsure if that was your original point but this is still relevant so I'll just leave it. (tu) 

40 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Average squad age from 22 players is 26.5 with 5 players over 30 who are significantly older than the rest of the squad (Kranjcar, 32; Gilks, 34; Miller, 37; Hill, 38).  Mode age is 25 (eight players) and the median age is 25. Here's the 22 ages of the squad:

19, 21, 22, 22, 22, 23, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 37, 38

25 is young for an accomplished goalkeeper in Wes and that must be especially considered. Kranjcar can effectively be crossed out for the season and Senderos doesn't feature, leaving cup goalkeeper Gilks (34), Miller (37), and Hill (38) as the active 'veterans' so to speak.

The likelihood is that Miller and Hill may feature on the pitch at the same time but Gilks rarely does, which emphasises the youthfulness of the squad again.

That is a young squad.

14/22 (64%) players are 25 or younger, nearly two thirds.

We have the second highest average aged squad in the SPL. Marginally behind Ross County.

Kilmarnock and Hamilton have what could be classed as youthful, and even they are over 23 averaged.

5 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

After 2012, every man, woman and dog was crying out to take advantage of the opportunity to start tactically afresh. Everyone wanted a young playing squad playing an attractive brand of football. This was never realised under McCoist.

Warburton has been here for 18 months and has implemented this strategy. There are obvious defensive frailties and weaknesses to the system that have been exploited this season, however to just abandon the philosophy to resort to defensive football with the players we have at our disposal is nothing short of lunacy.

Easier said than done but if we can invest in our defence and find a consistent goal scorer then we aren't far away at all. Warburton has already visibly tinkered with his system this season, Garner being a prime example for more direct play. It's my opinion that he'll come good IF backed properly by the Board.

EDIT: Unsure if that was your original point but this is still relevant so I'll just leave it. (tu) 

Last season I totally agree but this season he has (to me) went down the McCoist route. Hill, kranjar, Barton, senderos are not young players. Yes if say have a couple of experienced players but to have past it players is inexcusable to me 

35 minutes ago, Queen's_highway said:

So what do you suggest we do against the teams we've played so far? Weve deserved to win all but 2 games in the league so far.  Perhaps if we'd had the millions smith had then we'd atleast be second by a mile. You know the millions that get you a jelavic that has a high conversion rate. 

5 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

I acknowledge that, however it does not make our squad any older or take away from the fact that nearly two thirds of the squad are 25 or younger.

Relative patience is required.

Yes, a young squad which is older than every other squad in the league bar one. I'm not sure your logic stacks up mate.

4 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

So what do you suggest we do against the teams we've played so far? Weve deserved to win all but 2 games in the league so far.  Perhaps if we'd had the millions smith had then we'd atleast be second by a mile. You know the millions that get you a jelavic that has a high conversion rate. 

Are you fleeing? Genuine question btw

Possession and passing the ball side to side and back doesn't mean you deserve to win

Can you tell me one clear chance we had against Dundee? 

From what I've heard from the Rangers TV interviews and read on the Rangers website about the AGM today it seems to me that the combined message from Warburton (backed by King) is to send out a (further) dampening message to the Support in general about what to expect by way of football success and to curb the expectation that we'll get to 55 quickly.

Unless there is some magical Leicester City-type happening in future near seasons the pathway to 55 is a project which is some seasons' away.

King notes in an interview that its our 150th anniversary in 2022.  Seems to me that Warburton and King are playing the long(ish) game for on field and off field rebuilding in aiming to achieve 55 in that season at the latest - which does not mean next season at the earliest unless a Leicester City episode happens.

King oozes tension in his RTV interview.   Maybe even signs of stress.     He's made it clear that with the resources provided to Warburton in summer and with the players he brought in King expected us to be challenging much closer to C.....c, and (very tellingly) to be a strong second.    We're not and to my mind the concern shows in King's face even though he expects us to get a European slot for next season.  In fact he asserts that getting a European slot is "critical".   So there you are Mark Warburton - King has laid it on the line (again) about what is needed from this season.   King also notes that some of the transfers-in during summer have not delivered (Barton of course) and he mentions Kranjcar's injury.  

We are being invited by Warburton to continue to be patient while he eventually builds a title-challenging side.    In effect we are being told that the meaning of 'highly competitive' is to be settling for 2nd at best not just this season but until his project eventually delivers.  He is aware of the 2022 anniversary and that, I suspect, gives him the window of time within which to close the gap and to reach 55.    Another way of looking at it is that for a while to come we are just one of the leaders in a chasing pack and not even a highly competitive one since we are not in a strong 2nd and much closer to C...c.    And with a fair bit of work to do still this season to prove that we are - with out budget and resources - at the top of that chasing pack at the end of the season.  If we are not......well I'd like to hear King's interview in May ahead of next season.

16 minutes ago, FSM said:

Yes, a young squad which is older than every other squad in the league bar one. I'm not sure your logic stacks up mate.

Nonsense. You've went from denying it was a young squad to now seemingly accepting it, so you should have a wonder about your own logic.

None of those other sides have the pressure of Rangers Football Club on their shoulders, and at the moment this Rangers side is above every side it is 'expected' to be bar Aberdeen. We're a quarter of the way through the season. Things should be better but for a variety of reasons, from injuries to the Barton fiasco, they aren't.

12 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Nonsense. You've went from denying it was a young squad to now seemingly accepting it, so you should have a wonder about your own logic.

None of those other sides have the pressure of Rangers Football Club on their shoulders, and at the moment this Rangers side is above every side it is 'expected' to be bar Aberdeen. We're a quarter of the way through the season. Things should be better but for a variety of reasons, from injuries to the Barton fiasco, they aren't.

I was being facetious.

1 hour ago, Essandoh said:

Good post and couldn't agree more. With money and good players we'd be a right good team under Warburton. 

I thought it was a good speech. Suppose he has to talk like that but found the give the players time stuff troubling because he also mentioned the word sincerity. He must know too many players will never be good enough for us. Hopefully just the lingo and not what he believes. He just needs proper cash or lots of time to find the right players.