So let's do a stock take

Gaz52

Forgive me if I leave anyone out..

Foderingham, Alnwick

Hodson, Tavernier, Wallace, Hill, Kiernan, Senderos, Wilson, Bates

Toral, Hyndman, Halliday, Windass, Holt, Forrester, Rossiter (lol), Kranjcar (injured), Crooks (loaned to Scunthorpe)

Dodoo, O'Halloran, Miller, Garner, McKay, Waghorn

What does everyone think of our current squad? Is it good enough to secure second place? What players do you reckon will be away after this season? (Other than the loanees of course)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out - Senderos, Waghorn and MOH.

Who I'd like out - Kiernan, Senderos, MOH, Waghorn, Dodoo, Halliday.

Obviously we cant lose that many players so it would only be 2 or 3 at most IMO.

On paper our squad this season should be good enough for second place but it's never as easy at that especially this season with our form.

We require 6 or 7 players next season who are capable of walking into the starting 11.

I know it's only one game but we should be looking at trying to get Hyndman on loan for next season too. Let's not fuck about till the last minute or when his form is really good for us.

Maybe it's far too early but that's how bad our midfield has been that I'm frothing at the mouth over him in our team for a season.

Goalkeeping position is as strong as it has been since 2012.

I'd keep Hodson, Wallace, Hill and Wilson. At least one CB is a must in the summer. (MICHAEL MANCIENNE).

I'd like us to keep Toral and Hyndman. I'd let Halliday and Holt go providing Rossiter can prove his fitness. I'd still bring in another CDM.

I'd let MOH and Waghorn go and sign a striker and winger and I think we'd be good to go.

What we have just now will finish 10+ points ahead of Aberdeen but 20+ behind the tarriers. That's the difference, true quality in the spine of the team.

More than good enough to comfortably get 2nd place and try and make the gap a bit more respectable. 

We need to work on putting our chances away. There have been too many games, the OF at home especially, where we should have put games to bed in the 1st half. We look lost when the opposition score first and it takes a good twenty minutes to get going again. A win tonight is vital and should kick us on to have a good finish to the campaign

Second yes. Full of fillers though with the true quality scarce or not owned by us. We need a couple of cracking Bosmans or investment in players around the 2 - 2.5m bracket. 4 players of quality would transform us. Centre back, right back  centre mid, and striker. 

As bad as our squad is, it should still be enough to finish second, it will come down to whether they can handle the pressure. The complete collapse of the spoonburners last season and eventually winning the league at a canter, as funny as it was at the time, means that they weren't tested during the title run in. 

14 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Foderingham, yes Alnwick yes

Hodson, backup Tavernier backup Wallace yes, Hill yes Kiernan no Senderos no, Wilson backup, Bates youth team

Toral yes Hyndman yes, Halliday back up Windass yes, Holt backup Forrester backup, Rossiter yes if fit (lol), Kranjcar (injured) yes if fit, Crooks (loaned to Scunthorpe) no

Dodoo needs a chance O'Halloran, no Miller,yes Garner, backup McKay, yes Waghorn backup

What does everyone think of our current squad? Is it good enough to secure second place? What players do you reckon will be away after this season? (Other than the loanees of course)

Basically I think most of our squad are backup players. Both enough to supplement better players but not to be regulars in a title winning team. 

28 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Foderingham, Alnwick

Toral, Hyndman, Halliday, Windass, Holt, Forrester, Rossiter (lol), Kranjcar (injured), Crooks (loaned to Scunthorpe)

As poor as our squad is, it just about matches up to theirs if you take Dembele and Sinclair out of the equation. 

Good enough to secure 2nd?   Only if they find a way to score a lot more goals and reduce the very heavy reliance on Miller.  If Warburton cannot achieve that then getting 2nd may be beyond them.  In addition to scoring more goals (to win the sorts of games we dropped points on in the 1st half of the season) getting 2nd also heavily depends on Aberdeen's form.     I substantially discount Warburton's managerial and leadership influence on driving the team to win 2nd because in my estimation he's not the sort of manager that seems to get a good bit extra out of what is an unexceptional squad in terms of talent, and that extra drive might well be needed this season.   Under Warburton the team appear to me to be more strivers than achievers, and that may not be good enough.   It's only an opinion of course and its for Warburton and the team to prove it to be wrong.  

Who might leave when the season ends?    It depends if Warburton is still to be the manager for next season.   If he is then Senderos and McKay (for a decent transfer fee) if Warburton retains his job as Manager.   If he decides to leave and is therefore replaced then depending on how much transfer money King can give to a new manager to entice him to come to the Club, there could be quite a bit of a clear out.. For example, Forrester, Windass, Bates, Kiernan, MOH, Crooks, Holt, Halliday, and maybe Waghorn.     Could be a big list for 2 reasons.  1 being a new manager would most likely want to craft his own side and whether or not most of the current squad are good enough for a credible title challenge next season is, imo, very debatable so an upgrade in talent would be needed.  But - and its a very big but - that would depend on what investment money King and the Board are prepared to put on the table in addition to a transfer fee for McKay.   The 2nd is that if Warburton left chances are some of the squad may follow him as part of his Brentford entourage.  Which might be useful as it would presumably then also generate more transfer fees and therefore money for a new manager to spend.

47 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I know it's only one game but we should be looking at trying to get Hyndman on loan for next season too. Let's not fuck about till the last minute or when his form is really good for us.

Maybe it's far too early but that's how bad our midfield has been that I'm frothing at the mouth over him in our team for a season.

Bang on GF lets get him for next season as well before they take him back and loan him to a championship team as that's what will happen.

1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

Foderingham, Alnwick

When you see the squad laid out like that you can see why we are so rotten in games.

1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

Foderingham, Alnwick

Yes .... 2nd will be attained.

Any 10 to 15 could leave and would fall under the bracket of "Players you forgot once played for us" .... or .... "Players we signed, but who never actually played for us .... even when they were picked and actually on the park" ..... :lol:

:UK:

There are more than a few who need shipped out.  MOH, Senderos, Halliday at the very least.  Won't be sad to see up to another 5/6 go.  

This season is a tester to see who is capable at this level.  A tester to see where we are, and what we need.  

Maybe selling an asset or 2 is necessary but we will build better and provide a far better challenge next year.  I am confident of that.