PRW.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Oh there's a comparison alright we haven't won a trophy in almost seven years because we've been out the top flight and unable to compete in that time, financially hampered And had 3 shite managers in that time like literally the worst 

the reason we've not competed in that time isn't because we never had a director of football :lol: 

and it's 5 and half years not 7 now I think 

Do you think Chris Sutton wants whats best for Rangers? 

The important thing is to get the job descriptions right so the DoF is a facilitator to the Coach, letting them deal with the first team and not get stuck in endless research into new players. Its even more crucial with limited resources. It doesn't take a bottomless pit of money and the structure is long term.

I get your reluctance its a shift in approach that should have been made earlier. If the rumours we hear are confirmed it does look like its not going to be a decision made without considerable thought and research. 

The names being linked are of high calibre Wilson and Mitchell in particular have contacts throughout Europe and track records of identifying talent at various levels. They also have experience with Academy structures and the role of DoFs. 

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

Did you ask RDB? I wouldn't assume that at all. 

I wouldn't rule it out, who knows if we are going with the DoF approach to suit him that's what I'm hoping but even if we don't get him having a DoF doesn't limit us to shit managers in fact it probably rules out a few like Mccleish, Davies etc.

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Ensure continuity and purpose? Why would they ensure any continuity from this seasons debacle? We've seen first hand this style doesn't and won't work without mega funds and we aim to continue it? 

Seriously fucking hell 

Er, not quite what I meant. There was a vision developed and espoused when Warburton joined which was largely ditched in the Premiership and the positives underdeveloped. It is also true that since Walter left our managers have been poor (although Warburton was highly effective for most of the Championship), but the reasons for this are very different. McCoist was simply a poor coach. McDowall was an average coach not interested - terrified - of the pressure and Warburton was a decent coach with insufficient experience at this level and a huge stubborn streak.

1 minute ago, Lloyd72 said:

I wouldn't rule it out, who knows if we are going with the DoF approach to suit him that's what I'm hoping but even if we don't get him having a DoF doesn't limit us to shit managers in fact it probably rules out a few like Mccleish, Davies etc.

No but you are assuming it. Im saying id rather we put both wages together to get someone of DeBoers quality. I cant see us paying the wages for two quality appointments.

Guest Lloyd72
6 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

No but you are assuming it. Im saying id rather we put both wages together to get someone of DeBoers quality. I cant see us paying the wages for two quality appointments.

Like I said I'm hoping we do get de Boer but if we don't then I'm not sure who else we could get that is a similar quality of manager.

2 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

I'm not sure that's true. It would probably make financial sense. I don't know the figures, but let's say that the DoF costs £500,000 per year including on costs. It comes with a remit to find top quality players at minimal cost and potential sell on value - what Warburton claimed he was doing. How does that cost look then when compared with the desperation of say the Joe Garner or O'Halloran debacles. The point is that the DoF post because essentially self-funding.

3 minutes ago, writingranger said:

I'm not sure that's true. It would probably make financial sense. I don't know the figures, but let's say that the DoF costs £500,000 per year including on costs. It comes with a remit to find top quality players at minimal cost and potential sell on value - what Warburton claimed he was doing. How does that cost look then when compared with the desperation of say the Joe Garner or O'Halloran debacles. The point is that the DoF post because essentially self-funding.

Its not self funding if you cant afford both.

A DoF position makes total sense.

We need to plan for the long term, put a structure in place that allows or supports our club to achieve consistency and quality both on and off the park. 

A manager can only do that to a degree, and would require support from his own backroom team anyway. 

I like the idea of a DoF, a Head of Recruitment and a Head Coach. Helps support long term progress, which is what's needed at the club. 

A McLeish, Wright or Davies type of appointment just screams short term. Its a position that will no doubt solidify second, but we'll never win the title under with it.

I think Wilson, Park and a good head coach are a better option than a single manager. 

5 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

I'm with you on this mate . Ultimately it becoming a self funding role is the aim , but for me that's a long term goal (medium term if we land lucky) but as things stand unless there is significant new investment , then I would rather we used whatever funds we have to recruit the best manager available .

I do see the merit in the DoF role , but only if it can be funded to the required level , doing it any other way won't work and we'll just keep treading water . It's all very well having long term plans in place but if the first team aren't getting the results then no manager / head coach will survive for long at Rangers .

36 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Do you think Chris Sutton wants whats best for Rangers? 

The important thing is to get the job descriptions right so the DoF is a facilitator to the Coach, letting them deal with the first team and not get stuck in endless research into new players. Its even more crucial with limited resources. It doesn't take a bottomless pit of money and the structure is long term.

I get your reluctance its a shift in approach that should have been made earlier. If the rumours we hear are confirmed it does look like its not going to be a decision made without considerable thought and research. 

The names being linked are of high calibre Wilson and Mitchell in particular have contacts throughout Europe and track records of identifying talent at various levels. They also have experience with Academy structures and the role of DoFs. 

Chris Sutton doesn't care a jot for Rangers but I read his article and didn't think he was wrong either. 

If I was a pundit and last season got asked about Celtic and their problems I'd have said Celtic need a new manager and that they need rid of Delia - that doesn't mean I want what's best for Celtic. 

F

28 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Its not self funding if youcant afford both.

fair enough but the board may well feel that with a DoF they wouldn't have needed to pay £1.8 for Joe garner. Post paid itself for 3 years on one transfer.

16 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Chris Sutton doesn't care a jot for Rangers but I read his article and didn't think he was wrong either. 

If I was a pundit and last season got asked about Celtic and their problems I'd have said Celtic need a new manager and that they need rid of Delia - that doesn't mean I want what's best for Celtic. 

This is an interesting piece from outside the EPL in England and interesting comments from Robbie Nielson.

http://www.theleaguepaper.com/features/7085/dunlavy-column-once-ridiculed-by-harry-directors-of-football-are-now-a-key-part-of-the-game/

The Huddersfield situation is interesting given that Wilson was employed there.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

His age is bit of a concern and It's certainly far too young to be one of our players ... for sure mate ...... I can only think that the board are now actually adopting a serious youth programme .... and are starting at the top ...... :whistle:

:UK:

Youth programme saves them money ?

After listening to a few on the thread I'm willing to give him a chance (shock fucking horror) if he gets the job. 

3 hours ago, TheCutch said:

If we appoint FdB then you really are going to have more egg on your face than big Broadfoot ever did.

That is all I seem to see you posting over the past week. 

No chance De Boer is coming to us

I think alot of people need to take off the royal blue glasses and grasp a bit of reality. 

Its a bit embarrassing reading the people who think this is a foregone conclusion and its happening in the summer or even the posters who are getting excited about it. 

21 minutes ago, bluchoo said:

No chance De Boer is coming to us

I think alot of people need to take off the royal blue glasses and grasp a bit of reality. 

Its a bit embarrassing reading the people who think this is a foregone conclusion and its happening in the summer or even the posters who are getting excited about it. 

Would you like to tell Frank and his agent that?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15092105.Price_could_be_right_if_De_Boer_is_offered_Rangers_job___agent/

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/10763587/frank-de-boer-says-he-8216would-listen8217-if-rangers-approached-him-to-become-their-manager

Don't see what the problem is here. 

I think the board are right to do this. As long as the DOF stays the structure does. 

It doesn't give the usual excuse of bedding in, give time to gel etc from the manager. It's him that needs to come in and get up to speed. 

All of the signs do point to FDB at the moment. A DOF rule out McInnes, Wright, Davies and McLeish as managers IMO. 

The only worrying thing for me at the moment is a DoF most of the time means inexperienced manager. Hopefully I'm wrong

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a DOF arrive prior to our next manager.  Makes more sense to do it that way imo. 

A decent DOF could attract a better calibre of manager for us also, it should make us stronger and more robust in all areas of the footballing club - this is the most important appointment in my time following the club.

please get it right Rangers. 

??