4-4-1-1 Formation

cushynumber

Why oh why have we waited so long into the season to play a formation away from home that makes us harder to break down and which the players actually looked relatively comfortable when the other team had the ball?

We kept it nice and tight and stuck to our shape when they had the ball and the ease with which teams were able to cut through us previously simply wasn't visible this time.

If we had adopted this at the start of the season for away games  (a real "plan B" not just a empty phrase of "do plan A better") we would be a lot closer to Aberdeen and potentially already in 2nd.

Its galling that Warburton couldnt find it in himself to be able to organise a team the way that one of our youth coaches has.

Safe to say we've had 3 performances out of Murty that we'd never have got from Warburton. I defend the guy but I think it's becoming clear to me as well that we badly needed rid of him. He was too nice. He was scared to drop his regulars. Halliday wasn't even in the squad yesterday.. He'd have started if MW was still in charge no doubt. Good shout leaving Toral out as well as that game wouldn't have suited him at all. 

2 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Safe to say we've had 3 performances out of Murty that we'd never have got from Warburton. I defend the guy but I think it's becoming clear to me as well that we badly needed rid of him. He was too nice. He was scared to drop his regulars. Halliday wasn't even in the squad yesterday.. He'd have started if MW was still in charge no doubt. Good shout leaving Toral out as well as that game wouldn't have suited him at all. 

Toral would have ended up like Krancjar in the first game, closed down and looking lost I reckon. Good decision not to play him.

2 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Halliday was ruled out yesterday. Think it was illness rather than injury but not sure. 

Just now, billsim1984 said:

Like Halliday, toral was ruled out. Back problem

Ah right, was unsure, didn't get a chance to look at the line up in the lead up to the game as was running late getting into the ground! Regardless, he got it spot on with the players he did pick.

4 minutes ago, billsim1984 said:

Halliday was ruled out yesterday. Think it was illness rather than injury but not sure. 

Said one had back problem  other had hamstring problem can't remember which had which that's why HallIday and Toral never started yesterday 

Warburton was too arrogant and over confident to change it up too much. Add the fact he would defend the same players that made the same mistakes. Now I'm not saying a public slamming but when you try and cover up individual mistakes by saying a team mistake then it could never get fixed.  

Enoigh of that anyway. I'm just glad that murty wasn't a carbon copy of warburton 

1 minute ago, FlippinEck said:

Aye, we stopped off at a boozer for a quick drink on the way so was probably our fault and they park us fucking miles away now :lol: 

Used to be handy when we parked at that bit o waste ground where the emirates arena now stands. Could get bevy in the bushes over the other side.:lol:

Just now, Creampuff said:

The formation is better, but what struck me yesterday was how much the players wanted it. 

Warburton just couldn't get that out of the team.

I think they wanted it because they  were comfortable playing that way - they knew there was no chance of an embarrassment. With MW's 4-3-3 - there was always the chance of an embarrassing result. And players are not going to get on board with the chance to get humiliated.

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

Why oh why have we waited so long into the season to play a formation away from home that makes us harder to break down and which the players actually looked relatively comfortable when the other team had the ball?

We kept it nice and tight and stuck to our shape when they had the ball and the ease with which teams were able to cut through us previously simply wasn't visible this time.

If we had adopted this at the start of the season for away games  (a real "plan B" not just a empty phrase of "do plan A better") we would be a lot closer to Aberdeen and potentially already in 2nd.

Its galling that Warburton couldnt find it in himself to be able to organise a team the way that one of our youth coaches has.

Firstly - it was all about Warburtons arrogance and limited experience in the game.

I think the shape really suited us, we did lose it a few times for a period of time but once we got it back we looked solid.

I also think the 4 across the middle stifled McKay but suited Windass who i thought ran straight at the heart of them and put them on the back foot, wonder how his big mate would look in a middle 4.

Can't really fault the team yesterday, only had one big mistake and that was down to Holt, Waghorn could have, and should have been more clinical, but they 2 points aside I think everything else must've went to plan for Murty.

They had few chances to score against us, we looked organized and ready to break at any given opportunity, and their 2 £90million stars were basically non-existent. 

Should've won yesterday, but after our season I'm quite content with a point right now, and we've fired a massive warning shot to the filth, semi final is far more interesting now!

2 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Warburton either didn't see it therefore completely incompetent or he refused to do anything about it therefore stubborn and arrogant.

Spotting weaknesses in your own team and others is part of the job.

Some see it develop as a match progresses and changes formation or style during the game. Others only spot trends develop over a season and start to work on it during training.

Then you have the rest like warburton who has blind faith that his way will work eventually or just don't know how to change things.

Either way warburton was shown up by an U20s manager who showed that this squad can be decent if organised correctly.

Hopefully Pedro will live up to his words with regards to being obsessed with planning and organisation. Not really surprising as he is mates with Jose who has dossiers on other teams.

So pleased Warburton is gone before any more damage could be done in another transfer window.

While Pedro will have his own style hopefully he doesn't sign players that take us too far down one path. Warburton bought lightweight players who were nimble, good at passing (or at least meant to be) and this is the reason why our midfield is too powderpuff. You need a good blend in the squad to make your tactics before and during a game flexible and versatile enough to do more than swap like for like on 60 mins.

27 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Murty got his tactics spot on.

Their two best players play on the left hand side, stop them and you stand a chance.

And warburton being here for a year and a half couldn't that see once, he never bothered about the oppositions formation or players,scandalous

3 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

And warburton being here for a year and a half couldn't that see once, he never bothered about the oppositions formation or players,scandalous

Exactly mate.

The game at Hogmaneigh you could see a mile off that Sinclair was starting to roast Tav yet warburton never reacted.

The rest is history.

3 hours ago, cushynumber said:

I know what you're saying mate but we should be going at most teams away from home, if we played 4411 against Inverness the fans would be going bonkers, against that mob its acceptable to be more conservative.

I think its now clearly obvious who was helping out Murty, that had Walter Smith wrote all over it