22 years

Billy1984

25 Davie Cooper Quotes That Every Glasgow Rangers Fan Will Love

On the anniversary of Davie Cooper's death, here are the best quotes - by and about - the Rangers legend.

Legends on Davie

Ray Wilkins: "He was a Brazilian trapped in a Scotsman’s body."

Walter Smith: "He was always a tremendous player for this club but when Graeme Souness and I moved into Ibrox he was transformed. There is no doubt in my mind that was because he was surrounded by better players."

Stuart Munroe: "Davie could have made a fortune by moving down south but he resisted the temptation because he was a Rangers man through and through."

Terry Butcher: "He was second to none in terms of delivery of the ball, and I’d rate him better than David Beckham in terms of free-kicks and corners. He was a magnificent talent and a wonderful character. He could moan for Scotland, right enough, but was basically a lovely lad. I still miss him terribly."

Craig Brown: "This country doesn’t unearth all that many genuinely world-class stars, but Coop came into that category without a shadow of a doubt."

Graeme Souness: "His nickname ‘Albert’ which stemmed from the Coronation Street character Albert Tatlock who was always moaning. I could tell if Coop was going to have a good game if he came into Ibrox and was moaning even more than usual!"

Derek Johnstone: "From a playing point of view there is no doubt in my mind that he was one of Europe’s greatest players."

Ruud Gullit: "Davie Cooper was one of the best football players I have ever seen."

Gordon Smith: "When I later moved to the continent to pursue my career I saw lots of fine players with marvellous talent. But none better than Davie."

Walter Smith: "Davie’s pet hates were referees and coaches which meant I got my fair share of stick because I referred some training games and I also did a lot of the coaching!"

Rod Stewart: "I played against him in a charity match some years ago back up at Firhill. I reckoned I matched him for speed, but that was about it. He was just so tricky he tied me up in knots!"

Sandy Jardine: "His goal in the Drybrough cup against Celtic was one in a lifetime and it overshadowed me because I scored one of my best goals that day and it hardly got a mention."

Tommy McClean: "He wasn’t the quickest in terms of pace but he was the quickest thinker I’ve ever seen. He saw things so much earlier than anyone else."

Gordon Strachan: "Davie would hug the left touchline. He was the best ball player and wide man I've ever seen. He wasn't fast; he'd just get past defenders with an amazing change of direction. He was also a superb passer of the ball and his crossing was second to none."

Charlie Nicholas: "Apart from his footballing ability which was second to none he was also one of the most down to earth guys you could wish to meet."

Andy Roxburgh: "Football is not about robots or boring tactics. It's about excitement, emotion and individual flair and imagination as shown by Davie Cooper."

Ally McCoist: "Even now I find it difficult to believe he’s gone. We were friends and teammates for a long time and his death had an enormous effect on me."

Graeme Souness: "I always believed that Davie Cooper was a more naturally gifted player than even the great Kenny Dalglish. And that is high praise."

Walter Smith: "God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used."

Davie on Davie

On his loyalties: "I only support two teams; Rangers, and whoever is playing Celtic."

On beating Celtic 3-2: "Jock Wallace told us in no uncertain terms that Celtic had scored two unlucky goals, so we had better go out there and score three bloody good ones."

On the first time he played against John Greig: "He waded in with the kind of challenge Jack the Ripper would have been proud of…and then he growled “If I get another chance, I’ll break your leg."

On the Souness era: "I do feel a little bit frustrated that these good and exciting times at Ibrox have come a little too late for me. But against that frustration is the realism that I have enjoyed a marvelous career that others would give their right arm for so I can't be greedy."

On joining Motherwell: "I hated leaving Rangers, but I wanted to go somewhere where I could keep playing."

On Rangers: "I played for the team I loved."

7 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

25 Davie Cooper Quotes That Every Glasgow Rangers Fan Will Love

On the anniversary of Davie Cooper's death, here are the best quotes - by and about - the Rangers legend.

Legends on Davie

Ray Wilkins: "He was a Brazilian trapped in a Scotsman’s body."

Walter Smith: "He was always a tremendous player for this club but when Graeme Souness and I moved into Ibrox he was transformed. There is no doubt in my mind that was because he was surrounded by better players."

Stuart Munroe: "Davie could have made a fortune by moving down south but he resisted the temptation because he was a Rangers man through and through."

Terry Butcher: "He was second to none in terms of delivery of the ball, and I’d rate him better than David Beckham in terms of free-kicks and corners. He was a magnificent talent and a wonderful character. He could moan for Scotland, right enough, but was basically a lovely lad. I still miss him terribly."

Craig Brown: "This country doesn’t unearth all that many genuinely world-class stars, but Coop came into that category without a shadow of a doubt."

Graeme Souness: "His nickname ‘Albert’ which stemmed from the Coronation Street character Albert Tatlock who was always moaning. I could tell if Coop was going to have a good game if he came into Ibrox and was moaning even more than usual!"

Derek Johnstone: "From a playing point of view there is no doubt in my mind that he was one of Europe’s greatest players."

Ruud Gullit: "Davie Cooper was one of the best football players I have ever seen."

Gordon Smith: "When I later moved to the continent to pursue my career I saw lots of fine players with marvellous talent. But none better than Davie."

Walter Smith: "Davie’s pet hates were referees and coaches which meant I got my fair share of stick because I referred some training games and I also did a lot of the coaching!"

Rod Stewart: "I played against him in a charity match some years ago back up at Firhill. I reckoned I matched him for speed, but that was about it. He was just so tricky he tied me up in knots!"

Sandy Jardine: "His goal in the Drybrough cup against Celtic was one in a lifetime and it overshadowed me because I scored one of my best goals that day and it hardly got a mention."

Tommy McClean: "He wasn’t the quickest in terms of pace but he was the quickest thinker I’ve ever seen. He saw things so much earlier than anyone else."

Gordon Strachan: "Davie would hug the left touchline. He was the best ball player and wide man I've ever seen. He wasn't fast; he'd just get past defenders with an amazing change of direction. He was also a superb passer of the ball and his crossing was second to none."

Charlie Nicholas: "Apart from his footballing ability which was second to none he was also one of the most down to earth guys you could wish to meet."

Andy Roxburgh: "Football is not about robots or boring tactics. It's about excitement, emotion and individual flair and imagination as shown by Davie Cooper."

Ally McCoist: "Even now I find it difficult to believe he’s gone. We were friends and teammates for a long time and his death had an enormous effect on me."

Graeme Souness: "I always believed that Davie Cooper was a more naturally gifted player than even the great Kenny Dalglish. And that is high praise."

Walter Smith: "God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used."

Davie on Davie

On his loyalties: "I only support two teams; Rangers, and whoever is playing Celtic."

On beating Celtic 3-2: "Jock Wallace told us in no uncertain terms that Celtic had scored two unlucky goals, so we had better go out there and score three bloody good ones."

On the first time he played against John Greig: "He waded in with the kind of challenge Jack the Ripper would have been proud of…and then he growled “If I get another chance, I’ll break your leg."

On the Souness era: "I do feel a little bit frustrated that these good and exciting times at Ibrox have come a little too late for me. But against that frustration is the realism that I have enjoyed a marvelous career that others would give their right arm for so I can't be greedy."

On joining Motherwell: "I hated leaving Rangers, but I wanted to go somewhere where I could keep playing."

On Rangers: "I played for the team I loved."

Good read that. He was certainly well thought of not just by Rangers men either. 

Two stories of Davie. The day he passed away I was driving back from Cumbernauld when it came on Radio Clyde. I came off the M8 and headed straight into Govan to a flower shop & bought a bunch of flowers. I then drove to Ibrox and laid them at the gates at what was then known as the Rangers End. That night while watching STV news there's me with the flowers and the comment "even business men have been affected by his death".

The second story was when he was playing for Motherwell at Ibrox. I had a seat in the Govan front right at the corner flag. Davie came over to take a corner and everyone around applauded him and he said "thanks guys" Places the ball crosses like only he could and up goes a Motherwell player to bullet it into the net. The bold Davie turns rounds and said "Whoops sorry" & then ran off to join the celebrations.

5 minutes ago, Bears said:

My favourite (although I can't remember the exact words)

Leighton - I got a touch on the ball.

Davie - Aye, on the way back out.

I was at that game, main stand, pretty much behind the trajectory of the ball.

Honestly don't think I've ever seen a ball struck sweeter. 

Probably one of the few to prefer this to his dryburgh cup goal.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I don't think you can compare them, they are both beyond the expectations of any rational person in a football match. One was a split second of pure brilliance in hitting that ball and the other was a short period of repeated spontaneous control and creativity. Neither can be better than the other.

I can't believe it was 22 Years ago we lost Davie. I was working on a glass block's job at a fire station in Leicester and it was the site agent who came to me and gently told me that Davie had died..I couldn't believe it..He invited me down to the site office..Sat me down and asked me if I wanted to phone home..I was still dazed/confused and just not taking it in..He then explained that he had noticed that everyday I wore a Rangers top or t-shirt and had a big RFC on the side of my hard hat and that I should perhaps phone home to get the news..When my Dad answered the phone in tears it was the dreaded confirmation that one of Rangers best players and one of my heroes had indeed sadly left us...

My own tears began to flow and the site agent who was a Leicester fan began to ask me about Davie and we spent a hour chatting. My own boss who was a Spurs fan let us all down tools and I got pished..Made my way up to Ibrox to add my scarf to the Shrine on the gates as soon as I could. I was deeply affected by this Legend's passing for a good while afterwards.

God Bless Davie Cooper..

55 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I think he scored almost an identical goal against St Mirren in the same season. It was a midweek game at Ibrox during the winter. You were always confident Davie would do something at a setpiece. Wonder what the opposition players were thinking.

Remember standing for what seemed hours at the roadside on the day of his funeral. Loads of people but hardly a sound.

2 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Your old man wasn't the only man who cried Billy.

I gret like a bairn.

A wizard with a left foot, I was privileged to see in the flesh. THAT free kick against the sheep. 

RIP Davie 'Albert' Cooper.

Me too, broke my heart at corner of main stand and copland rd when leaving flowers and Rangers top.

I was in primary school when Cooper fell ill.

It's strange because even when I try I can't remember him playing but what I remember is the shock that went round the playground that he had to be taken to the hospital, every boy in the school was talking about it. 

If I remember correctly he was filming a tv show for kids called Shoot which we had all been excited about.

One of the boys had gone home for lunch while most of us stayed in school with packed lunches and school dinners, on his return he told Cooper had died and the arguments broke out for the most up to date information most of us had was that he was ill but alive. There was a flat out refusal to accept what the boy was saying but as others came back from their home lunch it was tallied up as to who was under the impression he was ill and who was claiming he had died, by the time everyone was back it wasn't looking good but there was still hope that people had got the wrong end of the stick as most of the people saying he had died were lassies and boys that weren't that into football.

The place was gutted when we all found out for sure that he had indeed died.

I may have things a little mixed up as that's the way of trying to remember timelines of events, that is how I remember it though. Frightening to think how in some ways the time since has flown by yet acknowledging also that despite the tragedy being branded in the memory as fresh, seemingly, as something that happened recently, it is now something that happened a long time ago.

A very gifted player idolised en masse who seen his life cut tragically short not much older than I am just now. 

3 hours ago, Mr Soprano said:

Passed when I was only a few months old.

Incredible player from what I have seen through old footage and heard listening to the older Bears.

Way before my time but what bear doesnt know of davie cooper,sitting on a bus almost bubbling watching that video...the skill and passion of the man was second to none...would love 10 of him in the squad today...sadly they just dont make them like super davie cooper anymore 

Rip davie..

4 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Your old man wasn't the only man who cried Billy.

I gret like a bairn.

A wizard with a left foot, I was privileged to see in the flesh. THAT free kick against the sheep. 

RIP Davie 'Albert' Cooper.

Jim Leighton only saw the ball when it came back out the net. What a player ,  great memories from a great Ranger.

3 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

I was in tears when Davie died, 39 years old, way too young. 

My favourite ever player bar none. I used to hate it when Davie got dropped from the starting eleven.

It worked a treat for the Scottish cup win in 81.....dropped on the Saturday.....devastating on the Wednesday

Rod Stewart: "I played against him in a charity match some years ago back up at Firhill. I reckoned I matched him for speed, but that was about it. He was just so tricky he tied me up in knots.

Rod stewart  rockoned he was as fast as Davie  ? You reckoned wrong you daft taig