Irish Rangers Fan

Top of the mornin OP, ti-tee ti-ta ti-tee ti-too!

I have no issues with most people in the Republic. Met loads of Irish boys while on holiday etc and all of them have been great guys, most of them couldn't give a fuck about celtic,  and most of them think it's hilarious that folk in Scotland actually sing about the IRA etc because most of them couldn't care less about a United Ireland,  it's an obsession of fantasists in Scotland not most people in Ireland. I get a lot of looks when in irish bars on holiday because of my Rangers tops and tattoos but no one has ever started an argument or anything.

Even someone with republican leanings would probably be taken in by the simply wonderful spectacle that is Rangers playing in Ibrox with the crowd in full voice. 

The fact OP feels that his accent would be a problem shows how the taig propaganda machine has worked. OP you would be welcomed with open arms to nearly every Rangers establishment,  you'd probably get a number of drinks bought for you once people heard your accent and enquired about it, I know I'd see it as a bit of a novelty. 

Hope you make it to a game and hope you enjoy it. There are no "ropes" to be shown, learn some of our songs,   get yourself into the WRC or Louden at least an hour before the game get a few pints then follow the crowd to the stadium,  no one will give you any hassle at all you'll find a friendly atmosphere where most people treat each other like family.

If you can manage it you should maybe try come over when there is a Founders Trail on where you will be able to learn some of the club's history, but even if you just come on a normal match day there will be plenty of people who will be more than happy to tell you our history. The WRC and the other Rangers pubs are places where you can strike up a conversation with anyone and be treated well so don't have any worries about that OP. 

Just don't bring a tricolour and leave your rosary beads in the fireplace.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Irish_Rangers17 said:

Hey! 

I've only recently joined, although been a Rangers fan all my life. It's kinda awkward living in Dublin and being a Rangers fan, as you know how much Dublin/Ireland can be associated with them 'lot' - anyway.

It's not a pointless post, I'm probably attending my first game soon. Although, I'll be on my own, would there be anyone there to show me the ropes? As mentioned, fan all my life - first time going as my family are them lot. 

Hope the accent is not noticed as a bad thing, too. 

Hope I haven't made a pointless post, feel free to delete, etc. 

This means you are the first to see the light. Convert your family to any football club but the Eastend atrocity 

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

When i was on facebook i noticed a Donegal RSC page.

Lots of rangers fans over there, my Gran and grandas on my dads side of the family are all prodestant supporting Rangers fans from Donegal, there are more than you would expect they just don't flaunt it the way the unwashed do ?

46 minutes ago, Willis said:

There's an RSC in Cork too I think

Never came across that one mate.

Spent a bit of time this afternoon reading about the Dublin and Wicklow LOL 1313 and the work they do.

Apparantely there are estimated 55/60 Orange lodges in southern Ireland with most being around the border towns, Donegal in particular and there is a parade there every year prior to the 12th.

Rangers lecture Dublin fans on sectarianism

This is not the usual type of post you read on here, but hopefully you'll find the story behind it interesting/funny/outrageous....

It comes from an article by Colin Coyle in the (Irish)Sunday Times which is unfortunately not online, so I'll just quote the relevant pieces:

Supporting Glasgow Rangers in Dublin must fell like living behind enemy lines.

But when 35-strong Dublin Rangers Supporters' Club raised a banner bearing that inscription at a recent match against Falkirk at Ibrox stadium, police ordered them to remove their "sectarian" banner.

The flag, which bears the legend Behind Enemy Lines, along with the Rangers crest and the Scottish and St. George's Cross flags, was confiscated at the match on the instructions of police, for fear of it inticing sectarian hatred. 

The 20 travelling Irish supporters, who claim they have fallen foul of political correctness, were warned by stewards not to display the flag at subsequent matches. Steve Clark, co-founder of the supporters' club said the reference is a tongue-in-cheek allusion to supporting the club in a city dominated by fans of Glasgow Celtic, Rangers' greatest rivals. 

"Its a cheeky bit of fun, nothing more. It has nothing to do with the troubles or bigotry," he said. "We flew the banner against hearts in December and previously at an away match in Barcelona and had no problems, so we were very disappointed by the police's stance.

Actually, slight correction, as you can see here, it's the Cross of St Patrick not that of St George on the banner:

Rangers.bmp

You can read more about the Dublin Loyal and their campaign to have the banner reinstated at Ibrox on their website here (the photo originally came from there also).

A bit more from the article:

In a statement, Glasgow Rangers said it fully supported the police's decision to remove the banner. Rangers fans in Dublin already live a surreptitious existence meeting at a private members club to watch matches.

"We have normal working-class Dubliners in the club, with no links to Glasgow, but none of us would wear a Rangers jersey in a Dublin pub, as it's asking for trouble," said Clark. "If we're attending a Rangers-Celtic match, we fly out of Belfast, where wearing a Rangers jersey is more acceptable and less likely to lead to a confrontation."

And here was the actual reply sent by Rangers FC to their Dublin fans:

The club position on this banner and the position of many others I have spoken to is that this slogan is not humorous at all and reflects back to the period of trouble in Ireland and such references are not welcome in our club. 

It is not reasonable to suggest that you could be arrested for cracking a joke. In fact it is patently ridiculous. No one has ever been arrested or banned for this at our stadium. People are arrested for breaking the law and have the right to dispute this in court.

In relation to the slogan in question can you tell me where the humour is? Also can you tell me who the enemy are? Finally where are the enemy lines referred to in this slogan. Many objective observers would ask the same questions.

I regret I can be of no further assistance to you on this subject.

I also don't think the slogan is that funny, but come on, Rangers need to get a grip here...compared to what else can be seen and heard at Old Firm games (and material sold outside the ground), it's pretty harmless, if a bit infantile. 

Anyway, as is usually the case with this kind of episode, the whole thing has now a momentum of its own with a petition backing the "Dublin 20" with thousands of supporters signing it. And The Dublin Loyal's St Patrick's Night Bash ("Celebrating what's best in Ireland") will no doubt now be a sell-out.

http://unionistlite.blogspot.co.uk/2008/02/rangers-lecture-dublin-fans-on.html

3 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Never came across that one mate.

Spent a bit of time this afternoon reading about the Dublin and Wicklow LOL 1313 and the work they do.

Apparantely there are estimated 55/60 Orange lodges in southern Ireland with most being around the border towns, Donegal in particular and there is a parade there every year prior to the 12th.

Sure I have seen clips of the Donegal 12th walk and it goes through quiet wee country roads before finishing on a beach . Looks a great day out 

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

5 hours ago, Willis said:

Top of the mornin OP, ti-tee ti-ta ti-tee ti-too!

I have no issues with most people in the Republic. Met loads of Irish boys while on holiday etc and all of them have been great guys, most of them couldn't give a fuck about celtic,  and most of them think it's hilarious that folk in Scotland actually sing about the IRA etc because most of them couldn't care less about a United Ireland,  it's an obsession of fantasists in Scotland not most people in Ireland. I get a lot of looks when in irish bars on holiday because of my Rangers tops and tattoos but no one has ever started an argument or anything.

Even someone with republican leanings would probably be taken in by the simply wonderful spectacle that is Rangers playing in Ibrox with the crowd in full voice. 

The fact OP feels that his accent would be a problem shows how the taig propaganda machine has worked. OP you would be welcomed with open arms to nearly every Rangers establishment,  you'd probably get a number of drinks bought for you once people heard your accent and enquired about it, I know I'd see it as a bit of a novelty. 

Hope you make it to a game and hope you enjoy it. There are no "ropes" to be shown, learn some of our songs,   get yourself into the WRC or Louden at least an hour before the game get a few pints then follow the crowd to the stadium,  no one will give you any hassle at all you'll find a friendly atmosphere where most people treat each other like family.

If you can manage it you should maybe try come over when there is a Founders Trail on where you will be able to learn some of the club's history, but even if you just come on a normal match day there will be plenty of people who will be more than happy to tell you our history. The WRC and the other Rangers pubs are places where you can strike up a conversation with anyone and be treated well so don't have any worries about that OP. 

Just don't bring a tricolour and leave your rosary beads in the fireplace.

He can bring the tricolour  for Kiernan to celebrate with!

2 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

Sure I have seen clips of the Donegal 12th walk and it goes through quiet wee country roads before finishing on a beach . Looks a great day out 

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

2 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

My mother's family are from Donegal. Plenty of good Presbyterian Rangers supporters around where she's from. They just tend keep it a bit low key. There's a wee thatched roofed pub in the village now run by my cousin which was known as little Ibrox