Wee Wullie Henderson tells it as it is

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

We're fortunate in that some players are coming to the end of their careers and can be offloaded rather easily; we are doubly fortunate that those particular players play in the very positions we most need to improve.

Agreed we also have players with long contracts that could be loaned out and bring the club some income. There's also a few that could be sold.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

They would still have griffiths in reserve who like it or not is better than anything we have and has scored a lot of goals for them. Armstrong could easily be having a Hutton year and be sold for 8 million.  They have quite a few players on form at the same time and the fees would mirror that.

on our hand we have 1-2 players worth keeping and the rest need paying off before we even begin to build

They have previously got:

Wanyama 12.5m

Van Dujk 11.5m

Forster 10m

Hooper 5m

Adams 2m

Wilson 2.5m

Scepovic 1m

Folk are ostriches if they don't think their squad holds significant value currently.

There's no point in picking an arbitrary figure out of 50m or 30m etc.

What we need is a good amount of investment used very well, someone could easily spunk 50m and we'd not end up with a team. 

Everyone agrees we need to overhaul the playing squad and need significant investment to do it, but arguing about the figure is entirely pointless.

Investing in a better scouting network should be the first use of any money if we ever get a director of football appointed

7 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

They would still have griffiths in reserve who like it or not is better than anything we have and has scored a lot of goals for them. Armstrong could easily be having a Hutton year and be sold for 8 million.  They have quite a few players on form at the same time and the fees would mirror that.

on our hand we have 1-2 players worth keeping and the rest need paying off before we even begin to build

If they sell Armstrong,Dembele and Sinclair that's 50+ goals a season they've lost.

Even if they had huge money to spend on replacing them which top tier player(s) are going to leave the EPL and to come here to play against Inverness and Ross county?

Which means they have to go down the road of finding younger unproven players or ones that are 30+ and looking for one last pay day before hanging up the boots.

Selling the core of a a tried and tested winning team is asking for trouble.

15 minutes ago, Getstiffed said:

The players they used to have were worth money so their current lot must be?

Well fuck me then, we used to have Gazza and Laudrup so Halliday and Waghorn must be worth trillions.

Or that's evidence of the impressive sums of money their publicity machine generates for decent players in this country with Champions League exposure.

Thought you could have worked that out without the join the dots help.

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

They have previously got:

Wanyama 12.5m

Van Dujk 11.5m

Forster 10m

Hooper 5m

Adams 2m

Wilson 2.5m

Scepovic 1m

Folk are ostriches if they don't think their squad holds significant value currently.

I still dont get what you are banging on about there resell value for. If we invest £20M on a squad then that squad too will have resale value. Of course the cellic squad have resale value and they tend to get good value for their players - but they dont always invest that money wisely in player acquisition or the money has to go to funding the running of the club.

For example the players you have listed here have a total re-sale value of £44.4 Million. So how come there current squad is worth a grand total of £16.5 million? they dont re-invest it all in players - not even close.

Ive said it before - its all about us closing the gap to the current cellic squad - not chasing a supposed potential resale value cellic squad because we simply dont need to do that.

22 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I still dont get what you are banging on about there resell value for. If we invest £20M on a squad then that squad too will have resale value. Of course the cellic squad have resale value and they tend to get good value for their players - but they dont always invest that money wisely in player acquisition or the money has to go to funding the running of the club.

For example the players you have listed here have a total re-sale value of £44.4 Million. So how come there current squad is worth a grand total of £16.5 million? they dont re-invest it all in players - not even close.

Ive said it before - its all about us closing the gap to the current cellic squad - not chasing a supposed potential resale value cellic squad because we simply dont need to do that.

My point is the starting position.

They have saleable player assets of 44m you say and they'll be getting 20m or so from CL. They've also just turned around their best figures in years I believe. And a decent enough manager, certainly for Scotland.

Their squad consists of internationalist who have demonstrated they can win well or win ugly. It's fair to say they have a few leaders and winners in their squad which is established and settled.

Is any of this wide of the mark?

By comparison.

We have a team lacking leaders, captains, winners, internationalists, with an untested manager.

3/5 of our best players in a wholly unsuccessful season are likely to leave. If they stay they whittle down any budget PC may have. Many of our players are dross or just not good enough for Rangers and will not command strong fees. Unfortunately they're on lengthy contracts for a good few of them.

So the contrasts are night and day here and now.

And I'm hearing 3 or 4 players, maybe 10-15m will turn it all around in our favour.

That's great if:

None of them get injured

It all clicks under PC

The tarriers don't strengthen

They don't sell well and reinvest

So 3/4 players for 10-15m plus maybe a few frees will turn the rest of that squad of ours into winners. And the tarriers won't use that 60m odd of players / CL revenue to counter it.

And I'm not talking about matching them for 90m but the consistency of winning league over a season's performances.

All the while they can per se attract in theory a better class of player as they pay higher and offer CL exposure.

I think that covers it 

5 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

My point is the starting position.

They have saleable player assets of 44m you say and they'll be getting 20m or so from CL. They've also just turned around their best figures in years I believe. And a decent enough manager, certainly for Scotland.

Their squad consists of internationalist who have demonstrated they can win well or win ugly. It's fair to say they have a few leaders and winners in their squad which is established and settled.

Is any of this wide of the mark?

By comparison.

We have a team lacking leaders, captains, winners internationalist, with an untested manager.

3/5 of our best players in a wholly u successful season are likely to leave. If they stay they whittle down any budget PC may have. Many of our players are dross or just not good enough for Rangers and will not command strong fees. Unfortunately they're on lengthy contracts for a good few of them.

So the contrasts are night and day here and now.

And I'm hearing 3 or 4 players, maybe 10-15m will turn it all around in our favour.

That's great if:

None of them get injured

It all clicks under PC

The tarriers don't strengthen

They don't sell well and reinvest

So 3/4 players for 10-15m plus maybe a few frees will turn the rest of that squad I to winners. And the tarriers won't use that 60m odd of players / CL revenue to counter it.

And I'm not talking about matching them for 90m but te consistency of winning league over a season's performances.

All the while they can per se attract in theory a better class of player as they pay higher and offer CL exposure.

I think that covers it 

but is doesn't make there squad worth £60m - not even close - as  i  have shown they are worth £16.6 m - this is a FACT -  - even with all the CL money and everything else. They DONT invest in their team to that extent - not even close. Your £60 million is a fantasy figure plucked out the air.

4 hours ago, K.A.I said:

So what soft loans conclusively went into the accounts in the revenues the season before we went to the wall with Whyte? Murray wasn't putting anything else in and Whyte already front-loaded 2-years worth of Ticketus money for his own takeover so that wouldn't have went into the clubs accounts, either. 

What did Whyte need the money for - I thought he only paid a £1? Did he have to pay the overdraft out of that, as a condition of the sale?

8 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

but is doesn't make there squad worth £60m - not even close - as  i  have shown they are worth £16.6 m - this is a FACT -  - even with all the CL money and everything else. They DONT invest in their team to that extent - not even close. Your £60 million is a fantasy figure plucked out the air.

What they were signed for is not what they are worth on the transfer market. Can we agree on that?

And that's not taking into account the developed assets like Tiernay.

The total resale value of 44.4 was a figure you provided which I thought was from some site for what their squad is estimated to be worth on the market. If it's not, what is it- I'm plucking nothing out of the air.

Out of interest, what do you consider their squad saleable value to be to for instance the epl (I've given values on previous pages)

1 minute ago, Monty Zoomer said:

What did Whyte need the money for - I thought he only paid a £1? Did he have to pay the overdraft out of that, as a condition of the sale?

He had to show David Murray he had the funds to invest in Rangers going forward as a condition of sale.  

2 hours ago, Getstiffed said:

Needed. After 4 years of CL money and selling players. And genenally having everything their own way.

If its me and I'm running a business that has 25 million pounds worth of assets that aren't strictly necessary I'd be punting them.

Unless of course my valuation was pulled out of my arse and further to that even if it wasn't, the assets are not that sought after really?

They didn't get into the champions league money phases more than once in the last 4 years and liewell admitted that they had lost approx. £10M per year with us being in the lower leagues

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

What they were signed for is not what they are worth on the transfer market. Can we agree on that?

And that's not taking into account the developed assets like Tiernay.

The total resale value of 44.4 was a figure you provided which I thought was from some site for what their squad is estimated to be worth on the market. If it's not, what is it- I'm plucking nothing out of the air.

Out of interest, what do you consider their squad saleable value to be to for instance the epl (I've given values on previous pages)

1. What they were signed for is probably not what they are worth on the open market - prices can go up and down so on that we can agree.

2. includes developed assets - agreed

3. I didn't provide it - you did -  you provided it in your 2nd post on this page. I simply added them up.

4. I have no idea what their resale value is - whatever anybody wants to pay. But say their entire squad is now worth double what they paid (£16.6M) - and then they magically sell the entire squad -   they won't reinvest all that on a new playing squad suddenly making the new squad worth £32M - they simply don't do that. They can't afford it.

We need to get a squad to match the current cellic one, not some potential cellic squad depending on any number of factors.  And then when we get one - the same applies to us "What they were signed for is not what they are worth on the transfer market. Can we agree on that?"

I do not think Willie really meant £50M if that does not sound stupid, he just means we need a lot of money spent on new and better players and being a streetwise chap probably thought that a figure like that would get headlines and people speaking about what he said, and it would get back to those who are supposed to provide the funds to buy these players. Simples. :happy:

50million is pie in the sky.  If the manager can't get us up challenging for a fraction of that outlay, he is not doing his job, 

Hyndman is not ours to keep, it would probably cost us at least 2 or 3 million to buy him.  Nice enough player but when financies are tight why would you pay that sort of money for a player who has been pretty well anonymous in the two games he has played against our main rivals.

46 minutes ago, Monty Zoomer said:

They didn't get into the champions league money phases more than once in the last 4 years and liewell admitted that they had lost approx. £10M per year with us being in the lower leagues

Which is why they needed to use the entire overdraft to cover the shortfall.

The idea they have been or continue to roll in wads of cash is horseshite. They make just enough to maintain their current level of player which is much higher than is required as evidenced by the points gap.

So the question remains: why not get in the black permanently by selling some of their superstars and suffering the indignity of only winning the league by 10 or 15 points rather than 25-30?

Maybe, just maybe their players aren't either A. Worth the money suggested or B. aren't actually in demand at all or both?