Can't believe they were allowed to keep their European cup

23 hours ago, Paulie Walnuts said:

Reckon we could've won that against an ageing Milan side?

Well Marseilles beat them but they couldn't beat us.

Another interesting point arising from that season was the 3 foreigners rule still in place which perhaps indicates why we have never been quite as good since? I can't help feeling that having good home based players in the ranks improves any team 

23 hours ago, markem said:

Those fucking loonies screaming about EBT's in the comments. 

They fucking need help, they really do. 

It's a good point how could UEFA sanction the removal of titles for a tax scheme that a lot of clubs in this country were using when they looked the other way when tapie was guilty of gross foul play by bribing everything that moved 

20 minutes ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

We had to beat CSKA and it ended 0:0.

Marseille just had to win, and beat Bruges 1:0 away.

Yes but Marseilles had tapie and his brown envelope filled with used 100s pushed under the door of the gents toilets 

I've thought long and hard (and often) of the Marseille game and anyone that has listened to me has heard me state that:  we had the beating of them that night.  We lost our bottle when we realised where we were and how close were were to the final.  Still remember Big Fat Ron commenting on Big Slim's "lack of recovery pace", the first time I had ever heard that phrase.  

On 2017-5-19 at 5:52 PM, writingranger said:

I know this is all true but I've never felt aggrieved because although we drew twice with Marseille, we were outplayed.

You don't consider it possible that we were outplayed because they were off their tits on performance-enhancing drugs AND were well-rested due to match-fixing in the league allowing them to manage their key players' game time? And they still couldn't beat us.

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

You don't consider it possible that we were outplayed because they were off their tits on performance-enhancing drugs AND were well-rested due to match-fixing in the league allowing them to manage their key players' game time? And they still couldn't beat us.

well if you put it like that...

23 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

Another interesting point arising from that season was the 3 foreigners rule still in place which perhaps indicates why we have never been quite as good since? I can't help feeling that having good home based players in the ranks improves any team 

Gordon, Tierney, Brown, Forrest, Armstrong, McGregor, Griffiths. Full domestic season unbeaten and treble pending. :( 

On 19/05/2017 at 9:25 PM, Queen's_highway said:

We really need to get over it.

It wasn't fair but it happened so long ago.

No reason why it's an unreasonable point of discussion like any other part of our history. 

Its not like folk are greeting about it every other week. 

On 19 May 2017 at 9:25 PM, Queen's_highway said:

We really need to get over it.

It wasn't fair but it happened so long ago.

Aye the 5 threads about it over the last couple of weeks has been overkill tbh.

What we really need is a thread about what players should leave and who should stay this summer 

On 2017-5-19 at 8:07 PM, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Blew it, barring a screamer from Durrant. The home game, Marseille tore us apart and we were lucky to get a draw out of it. What a great side we had, can't believe we are never likely to see that quality again.

Neither will Marseille, Bruges or CSKA Moscow I suppose.That was the greatest season for me as a fan. Winning the treble at the Piggery, and 1 goal way from a European Cup Final (if we had won in the Veledrome  we would have been through to the Final).

2 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Neither will Marseille, Bruges or CSKA Moscow I suppose.That was the greatest season for me as a fan. Winning the treble at the Piggery, and 1 goal way from a European Cup Final (if we had won in the Veledrome  we would have been through to the Final).

We were effectively semi-finalists that year, as we were in the top 4 of the tournament, which was a staggering achievement from a team from a nation the size of Scotland in the modern era.

Of course, the media massively downplayed it.

On 2017-5-20 at 4:17 PM, Thermopylae said:

The three foreigner rule being scrapped, combined with the Bosman ruling, meant clubs could fill teams with foreign players, many of whom would ask for less in wages; it led to plenty of teams ignoring player development in favour of buying established foreigners. That and the footballing landscape was changed by the money Sky pumped into the Premier League, and the Champions League opening up to more than just domestic champions.

If we still had the old European format of CL, CWC and UC then I think teams such as ourselves, Celtic, Ajax, PSV etc would still be in better health and of bigger standing. Even if the bigger leagues got a second place in the CL qualifiers, it still wouldn't be the closed shop that European football has become. UEFA seemed to realise only too late that they'd fucked the UC long term, and I don't think the CL place for the winners can repair that damage in the way they hope. (It might hopefully lead to English teams and the English media taking the competition more seriously though.)

I still don't agree with the three foreigner rule being binned. I get it's against EU law, but so is buying & selling employees; the transfer market is essentially a cattle market for players. It's strange how some parts of EU employment law apply and not others... 

19 hours ago, Aubie92 said:

The three foreigner rule being scrapped, combined with the Bosman ruling, meant clubs could fill teams with foreign players, many of whom would ask for less in wages; it led to plenty of teams ignoring player development in favour of buying established foreigners. That and the footballing landscape was changed by the money Sky pumped into the Premier League, and the Champions League opening up to more than just domestic champions.

If we still had the old European format of CL, CWC and UC then I think teams such as ourselves, Celtic, Ajax, PSV etc would still be in better health and of bigger standing. Even if the bigger leagues got a second place in the CL qualifiers, it still wouldn't be the closed shop that European football has become. UEFA seemed to realise only too late that they'd fucked the UC long term, and I don't think the CL place for the winners can repair that damage in the way they hope. (It might hopefully lead to English teams and the English media taking the competition more seriously though.)

I still don't agree with the three foreigner rule being binned. I get it's against EU law, but so is buying & selling employees; the transfer market is essentially a cattle market for players. It's strange how some parts of EU employment law apply and not others... 

Who knows it's just about possible in the fullness of time that the EU will be binned :Fod:

On 5/19/2017 at 10:09 PM, blueballss said:

us older bears were there both games, what a team they had...but the ability and never say die attitude we had was something else!!

mullered for 70 mins at Ibrox, Rudi Voeller unreal, but in end could have won it

Marseille, what an experience, IMO we were just as good as them on the night, so close but yet so far, can i remember the canopy over us at their ground, stuff getting thrown all over the place on us?

Voeller with the famous "F**k off ya german b**tard from Andy Goram pmsl.