Gazza or laudrup

stewaj3

Gazza or laudrup  

207 members have voted

1. 1. You can only have one in your team.. Who would you pick and why?

• Gazza
    • Laudrup

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ianferguson said:

Gazza not in my top 20 favourite Rangers players but definitely the best player I've ever seen play for Rangers. Said it before but if  the ball was to fall to one player in the last minute of a big match you'd want it to be Gazza because he'd see the full picture and drive towards the goal with pace and power, if the chance was there he'd  take it like a centre forward and if it was best to square it he'd take the correct option every time. 

I'm confused by the not in your top 20 bit? 

In my lifetime gazza and laudrup were the top 2. Im a wee bit too young to appreciate davie cooper fully, although having seen the vids he was some player. Baxter ive only seen vids. The likes of Greig, Jardine, Gough, Mccoist have had some great careers but they couldn't do what the 4 above could... 

I just don't see how either gazza or laudrup couldn't make your top 5 never mind 20. Unless they were before your time. 

Gazza was a sublime talent, a world class player that could have walked into any side and we were fortunate to get him at the tail end of his peak. That being said Laudrup,  for me,  was just this side of perfect. Both players were in the Scottish Cup final against hearts and gazza was completely forgotten about. Such was the majesty of Laudrups performance that day. 

10 minutes ago, Inigo said:

To think anyone under about 25 won't remember Laudrup or Gazza. :lol:

Life goes by so quickly.

Nae luck, youngsters.

Not just them ,they missed Albertz and  Numan .and a bit earlier ,the McCoist / Hateley partnership. Its probably the only reason I am thankful for being 45 years old

I really do hope that we can get any where near this level of player for the future. That said Laudrup was a genius and a lot more effective more of the time than Gazza (not to say Gazza was immense) just showa how well off we were for talent when we comment on this thread.

5 minutes ago, mick1271 said:

Not just them ,they missed Albertz and  Numan .and a bit earlier ,the McCoist / Hateley partnership. Its probably the only reason I am thankful for being 45 years old

38 is a good age to be. Saw all that stuff but missed the early 80s. Result.

I'm actually surprised at the results of the poll to be honest - not knocking anyone for their views though, but it's Gazza for me.

An unparalleled, natural genius and quite possibly the best player to have ever graced Scottish football.

2 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

I'm confused by the not in your top 20 bit? 

In my lifetime gazza and laudrup were the top 2. Im a wee bit too young to appreciate davie cooper fully, although having seen the vids he was some player. Baxter ive only seen vids. The likes of Greig, Jardine, Gough, Mccoist have had some great careers but they couldn't do what the 4 above could... 

I just don't see how either gazza or laudrup couldn't make your top 5 never mind 20. Unless they were before your time. 

I clearly state he's the best Rangers player ive ever seen  (Laudrup second and not by much) but definitely don't rate him as a person so not one of my favourite Rangers. Ian Ferguson for example not blessed with Gazzas talent but will always be my No1 Ranger.

Laudrup for me. Simply because he was my hero when I was a kid. I worshipped him and its a great regret I never got to see him in the flesh as my first game was in the Advocaat era. 

Gazza was more talented and I think on the day he probably shades it. But I would still have Laudrup in my team before him! 

Probably because I was young I can't ever remember both having outstanding games in the same match? Can someone who remembers it better than me tell me if i'm talking nonsense?

Having been very privileged to watch these guys in the flesh Gazza for me was a World Class player as was Laudrup but Gazza was the best box to box player I have ever seen. 

In fact probably unfair to vote on this as loved them both along with many others but by fuck those 2 are gonna take some beating for many years in a Rangers jersey.

49 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Laudrup for me. Simply because he was my hero when I was a kid. I worshipped him and its a great regret I never got to see him in the flesh as my first game was in the Advocaat era. 

Gazza was more talented and I think on the day he probably shades it. But I would still have Laudrup in my team before him! 

Probably because I was young I can't ever remember both having outstanding games in the same match? Can someone who remembers it better than me tell me if i'm talking nonsense?

I'd say that's a fair observation. I'd say in quite a few of the lesser games both would be sparkling, but often in the bigger games, IIRC, it seemed to be one or t'other taking things by the scruff (albeit neither ever went missing in big games, it's just one or the other would be that bit more on form and be the star of the show).

9 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I'd say that's a fair observation. I'd say in quite a few of the lesser games both would be sparkling, but often in the bigger games, IIRC, it seemed to be one or t'other taking things by the scruff (albeit neither ever went missing in big games, it's just one or the other would be that bit more on form and be the star of the show).

Both went missing a bit in the Champions League in 95/96 and 96/97. I think Gazza may have even got sent off a couple of times? Ajax? Dortmund?

But yeah the way I remember it is the same. One taking the game by the scruff of the neck - even in the Old Firms and cup finals I still remember Laudrup v Hearts 95/96 and Gazza v Hearts 96/97. Gazza v Celtic first game of 96 and then Laudrup in the second game in November when the fox ran on the pitch. 

I even struggle to remember them combining? Is that true? Maybe the 95-96 Cup Semi? Or was it the LC QF? As I said I was pretty young. 

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Both went missing a bit in the Champions League in 95/96 and 96/97. I think Gazza may have even got sent off a couple of times? Ajax? Dortmund?

But yeah the way I remember it is the same. One taking the game by the scruff of the neck - even in the Old Firms and cup finals I still remember Laudrup v Hearts 95/96 and Gazza v Hearts 96/97. Gazza v Celtic first game of 96 and then Laudrup in the second game in November when the fox ran on the pitch. 

I even struggle to remember them combining? Is that true? Maybe the 95-96 Cup Semi? Or was it the LC QF? As I said I was pretty young. 

I think in the CL teams knew that if they shut them down they'd shut us down, and more often than not they had the know-how to do that. Tactically we tended to struggle at that level.

Don't really remember any big game Gazza-Laudrup combos. I remember one game against Motherwell where they shared 5 goals between them, assisting each other with some, and a few other games like that, but nothing comes to mind in the bigger games tbh.

It's 20 years ago now though, so things aren't fresh any more.

Gazza for me. 

I've always thought Gazza was the most naturally talented of the two , while Laudrup was the more technically gifted . Maybe that's why I got a wee bit more excited when Gazza was on the ball.  Close call though. 

13 hours ago, gersandy said:

Nah im no having that. Gazza was voted the best ever english player. People who supposedly know what there talking about reckon he was one of the most gifted player theres been and, if not for his problems, would've played for the best teams in the world.

Laudrup, although a very talented player, was widely thought to be the poorer of the 2 brothers. 

That said, watching both these players in a Rangers top was a dream. Some of the football was out of this world.

Gazza had it and then lost it and was never the same player again after the injury which postponed his move to Lazio,   And as for being the poorer of 2 brothers?  Brain's  brother played for Real , Barca and Juve, he was in the same class as the likes of Zidane. But  Brian did manage to win the European championship without his brother did he not? 

Unfortunatly Gazza lost that yard, yes he had the football brain but to say he was as good as Laudrup for Rangers is just wrong. 

We had some team as you say, and  people who supposedly know what they are talking about?  I was there and there was no contest.  .

You would be better comparing Gazza with Baxter but as my late da said even that was no contest  as he said Baxter was something else.  

Love Gazza have an immaculate large adidas strip from the 8 in a row era , I also managed to get the official number adidas 8 for the back of it which I need to put on.  

But Brain is the best Rangers player in modern time. 

12 hours ago, GOAT said:

The greatest player to ever wear that jersey without a shadow of a doubt.

gazza a close second and the two of them played in the same team, unreal.  Two legends. 

Any one that says Gazza watch and learn ,  he makes it look so easy.

And that cunt Charlie Miller still has my scarf in the tanndice changing room after clinching 9 in a row.. I liked that scarf ???