Ibrox, Old And New, Different Perspectives.

tannerall

12 minutes ago, blueretro said:

I started going about 1973/74. Couldn't put an exact date on that first pic but it was defo before the centenary stand was built. There's no fence at the end of the covered section.

Ibrox.thumb.jpg.7f71cf3193b95376c241e167d377326b.jpg

Not 100% but I think this is from mid - late 60's

14 minutes ago, Don54 said:

Ibrox.thumb.jpg.7f71cf3193b95376c241e167d377326b.jpg

Not 100% but I think this is from mid - late 60's

I think you are right.  It is pre the disaster game as there are no walls at the top of the stairways.  There is just sign of the M8 being built south of PRW, think that would make it circa 68.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Questions for older Bears:

What were the names of the stands before the modern day refurb in the early 80s?

Did we call it the Copland Road or was it just 'the Rangers end' etc?

And what was it called before the Centenary Stand? The Derry/North enclosure? And was the Centenary Stand a new stand, or was it simply the extension of the roof and the installation of bench seating?

Sorry for all the questions!

The only stand before the renovation was the Main Stand.  There was then the Enclosure, the rest I think was simply labelled the terracing (with entry gate labelled Copland or Broomloan Rd).  As a boy, I can remember walking completely around the terracing at halftime so I could be at the end Rangers were attacking in the second half.  The Derry was the fans name for the area under the north shed, don't think it was used officially by the club.

I think we will soon outgrow the current capacity of the stadium. The demand for STs and the Niederkorn game shows that despite all the stuff we have had to deal with over the past few years there is a growing support. 

I think we should use the supposed upcoming share issue to put some funds towards increasing the capacity somehow. Our ground really should be the biggest in Scotland.

6 hours ago, Ibroxholm said:

Used to do the same in the 60s to get into the Enclosure.  Enclosure had no boys gate and Ibrox was the only ground I encountered (in my childhood days) where the turnstile operator & stewards would try to stop you getting lifted over.

Enclosure was my haunt during the 60's, used to get lifted over by my dad all the time, perhaps my old man gave them a funny handshake.  

Wolves defender Eddie Stuart heads off the line (third from right) as goalkeeper Malcolm Finlayson and No 3 George Showell watches on during the first leg of the 1961 European Cup-winners' Cup semi-final against Rangers. The Glasgow club won this clash 2-0 at Ibrox, before a 1-1 draw at Molineux.
5950463edfeba_1961EuropeanCup-winnersCupsemi-final.thumb.jpg.71fdd0f9ab18ee88baaf6863281008b7.jpg

1 hour ago, Cobham said:

Fucking winner of a thread! I'm 38 and the furthest my memory goes back is blue, orange, yellow, red and brown seats!

IMG_3534.JPG

I am just few years older and fucking hated saying aye I'm in the brown section today but seen one of our best European games from it the 2-2 with Borussia Dortmund was fantastic.

Always was a East Enclosure lad watching the Copland Road Nutter strutting his stuff up and down the aisle getting the 2 stands 2 sing with each other fucking class.

Fuck me just seen this surely a photo shop job

rangersandcelticfansintheenclosure.jpg

Better

110591-b-q-premier-league-rangers-v-aber

1zpmq7t.jpg

36 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Enclosure was my haunt during the 60's, used to get lifted over by my dad all the time, perhaps my old man gave them a funny handshake.  

I got in most of the time but remember the turnstile operators used to moan like hell about it.  Couple of times they even came out their turnstile booth to try and stop me.  Soon as I was thrown over I was on strict orders to get off my mark up the stairs.  Most of the time my old man had to slip them the cash to shut them up (probably a handshake as well).

Was the only ground I had any bother at.

2 minutes ago, Band of Brothers said:

I am just few years older and fucking hated saying aye I'm in the brown section today but seen one of our best European games from it the 2-2 with Borussia Dortmund was fantastic.

Always was a East Enclosure lad watching the Copland Road Nutter strutting his stuff up and down the aisle getting the 2 stands 2 sing with each other fucking class.

Fuck me just seen this surely a photo shop job

rangersandcelticfansintheenclosure.jpg

Better

110591-b-q-premier-league-rangers-v-aber

1zpmq7t.jpg

Was Dortmund 2-2 not with Gazza in team? Blue seats?

Ibrox is just an amazing stadium. The front door, main stand, is the best in world football! ❤️

Just now, Cobham said:

Was Dortmund 2-2 not with Gazza in team? Blue seats?

Ibrox is just an amazing stadium. The front door, main stand, is the best in world football! ❤️

Aye thats the one Gough with header to square the game. Was that blue seats? my memory is honking but I was where the brown section was Govan Front at Copland end.

Here are some interesting ones from Alamy:

After the roof came off the Copland End in the 68 storm:

the-remains-of-the-grandstand-roof-at-ib

Scaffholding in the Govan East Corner 1995, I assume when they were installing the jumbotrons?

090995-bells-premier-division-rangers-v-

And the other end of the stand in 95:

090895-champions-league-preliminary-rnd-

Interesting shot from the West Enclosure with the coloured seats. When watching older videos as a kid I always thought the corners with the grass banks and the Umbro and McEwan's Lager signs looked cool:

season-19841985-ibrox-glasgow-interior-v

The beer can tunnel:

season-19911992-ibrox-glasgow-view-of-th

The Club Deck going on top of the Grand Dame of Edmiston:

season-19911992-ibrox-glasgow-constructi

Greig against Morton in the early 70s with the cars and disabled supporters pitchside:

season-19691970-rangers-v-morton-ibrox-g

A good shot of an empty West Enclosure. Scotland v USSR in 1991:

06021991-international-friendly-scotland

The Govan Stand under construction:

310181-rangers-v-aberdeen-1-0-ibrox-glas

season-19801981-rangers-v-aberdeen-ibrox

Stairway 13 in 1977:

season-19761977-ibrox-glasgow-the-re-bui

The Broomloan welcoming back the Barca Bears:

may-1972-ibrox-glasgow-the-rangers-squad

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Here are some interesting ones from Alamy:

After the roof came off the Copland End in the 68 storm:

the-remains-of-the-grandstand-roof-at-ib

Scaffholding in the Govan East Corner 1995, I assume when they were installing the jumbotrons?

090995-bells-premier-division-rangers-v-

And the other end of the stand in 95:

090895-champions-league-preliminary-rnd-

Interesting shot from the West Enclosure with the coloured seats. When watching older videos as a kid I always thought the corners with the grass banks and the Umbro and McEwan's Lager signs looked cool:

season-19841985-ibrox-glasgow-interior-v

The beer can tunnel:

season-19911992-ibrox-glasgow-view-of-th

The Club Deck going on top of the Grand Dame of Edmiston:

season-19911992-ibrox-glasgow-constructi

Greig against Morton in the early 70s with pictures of the cars and disabled supporters pitchside:

season-19691970-rangers-v-morton-ibrox-g

A good shot of an empty West Enclosure. Scotland v USSR in 1991:

06021991-international-friendly-scotland

The Govan Stand under construction:

310181-rangers-v-aberdeen-1-0-ibrox-glas

season-19801981-rangers-v-aberdeen-ibrox

Stairway 13 in 1977:

The Broomloan welcoming back the Barca Bears:

may-1972-ibrox-glasgow-the-rangers-squad

Some awesome photos there mate! ??

2 minutes ago, Band of Brothers said:

Aye thats the one Gough with header to square the game. Was that blue seats? my memory is honking but I was where the brown section was Govan Front at Copland end.

I'm sure we were. Must have been blue seats at that point. 

Got me doubting myself now! 

Just now, Cobham said:

The coloured seats were replaced in 92 or 93 I think. 

Probably like a said I have mega bad memory but that game always sticks with me as both teams had world class players plus they always said Ibrox was based on Dortmund stadium or other way round I canny mind haha.

12 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Would anyone know why this section of the Main Stand (looks like MFN) is empty during the 4-1 game in 89?

030189-premier-division-rangers-v-celtic

It was no man's land Tim's had the corner section and then after empty seats it was back with us , I was up there for the 2  2 game when gough equalised in last minute the scums faces you would have thought we had hammered them 

14 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Would anyone know why this section of the Main Stand (looks like MFN) is empty during the 4-1 game in 89?

030189-premier-division-rangers-v-celtic

Ooft, crikey. Was at the game and I don't remember that all that clearly. Would have been segregation, I guess. Notice the only ones in that bit seem to be a few polis.