Ibrox, Old And New, Different Perspectives.

tannerall

Name: Samuel Frickleton

DOB: 1 April 1891

Place of Birth: Slamannan, Scotland

Date of Action: 7 June 1917

Place of Action: Messines, Belgium

Regiment: 3rd Battalion, New Zealand Rifle Brigade

Samuel Frickleton was born on 1 April 1891 in Slamannan, Scotland, into a large coal-mining family. He emigrated to New Zealand in 1913, following his elder brother who was already working in a mine on the west coast of the South Island.

Following the outbreak of the First World War, Samuel joined the New Zealand Military Forces in February 1915. He volunteered to serve overseas with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, as did his four brothers. However, Frickleton became ill with a lung infection, diagnosed as tuberculosis and he was discharged as medically unfit. Once recuperated, he re-enlisted in 1916 and was posted to France as a rifleman in the 3rd Battalion of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade. He was promoted to Corporal in March 1917.

Corporal Frickleton was awarded his Victoria Cross for most conspicuous bravery and determination on 7 June 1917 during the Battle of Messines. His battalion was attacking the edge of Messines village when it was pinned down by heavy enemy machine gun fire. His citation in the London Gazette explains:

Although slightly wounded, Lance Corporal Frickleton dashed forward at the head of his section, rushed through a barrage and personally destroyed with bombs an enemy machine gun and crew, which were causing heavy casualties. He then attacked the second gun, killing the whole of the crew of twelve. By the destruction of these two guns he undoubtedly saved his own and other units from very severe casualties and his magnificent courage and gallantry ensured the capture of the objective. During the consolidation of the position he suffered a second severe wound. He set, throughout, a great example of heroism.

Frickleton was wounded in the arm, hip, as well as being badly gassed. He was evacuated to England for medical treatment After the First World War, Frickleton remained in the military before retiring for health reasons with the rank of Captain in 1927. He then worked in several fields, including business and farming. Samuel Frickleton died in 1971 in Wellington, leaving a wife and son.

There is a plaque in his honour at Messines Ridge British Cemetery, Belgium. In 2007, a plaque commemorating his bravery was unveiled at the Mesen Church in Belgium

zzzzzzvcnz.thumb.jpg.3f71354c89d7e8b7bdd9878501593c50.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzsherlo.gif.2832b5564383c376eef4dee52bd8020e.gif

A company of wounded soldiers from local hospitals faced the King as he took to the dais on the Royal platform while to his right the recipients of the day’s honours were seated. The greatest ovations were reserved for the three soldiers who were presented with the Victoria Cross, particularly Private Harry Christian of the Royal Lancaster Regiment. He had been brought north from a hospital in the north of England but was so ill that he had to be carried to the stage on a chair by members of the St Andrew’s Ambulance Association. The official description of his deeds read as follows:

He was holding a crater with five or six men in front of our trenches. The enemy commenced a very heavy bombardment of the positions with heavy ‘minenwerfer’ bombs, forcing a temporary withdrawal. When he found that three men were missing Private Christian at once returned alone to the crater, and although bombs were continually bursting actually on the crater, he found, dug out and carried one by one into safety all three men, thereby undoubtedly saving their lives. Later he placed himself where he could see the bombs coming and directed his comrades when and where to seek cover.

zzzzzharry.jpg.c29a56c612ce153e8d8431d332f993f7.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzsherlo.gif.27c387612f91d8df1eec7b10efdaa0e0.gif

George Imlach McIntosh VC (24 April 1897 – 20 June 1968) was a Scottish recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.

He was 20 years old, and a private in the 1/6th Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place at the Battle of Passchendaele for which he was awarded the VC.

On 31 July 1917 at Ypres, Belgium, during the consolidation of a position, the company came under machine-gun fire at close range and Private Mclntosh immediately rushed forward under heavy fire and reaching the emplacement, threw a Mills grenade into it, killing two of the enemy and wounding a third. Subsequently entering the dug-out he found two light machine-guns which he carried back with him. His quick grasp of the situation and the rapidity with which he acted undoubtedly saved many of his comrades and enabled the consolidation to proceed unhindered by machine-gun fire.[1]

George McIntosh was born in Buckie, Banffshire. McIntosh went on to join the Royal Air Force and served in World War II, and during 1942 was the senior NCO with No 1 squadron. He later achieved the rank of Flight Sergeant.

His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Gordon Highlanders Museum, Aberdeen, Scotland.

zzzzzzzzGeorg.thumb.jpg.de2925af2e5e8c73680f414960d175ad.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzsherlo.gif.a3e817ccdc0c57d98a24b76b924bb1d0.gif

9 hours ago, Craigyboy9 said:

If memory serves me right, the engineering involved in the construction of the club deck broke a couple of world records. I'm sure the white girder was the biggest of its type in the world at the time.  I'm sure there was something else record breaking. It's remarkable to think that whole club deck is essentially completely separate and would stand alone from the main stand. 

The Main Stand is the largest single standing structure in World sports arena's

14 hours ago, Craigyboy9 said:

If memory serves me right, the engineering involved in the construction of the club deck broke a couple of world records. I'm sure the white girder was the biggest of its type in the world at the time.  I'm sure there was something else record breaking. It's remarkable to think that whole club deck is essentially completely separate and would stand alone from the main stand. 

We seem to have led the way on this I heard somewhere that extensions being built now to existing stands like at Anfield and Tynecastle are completely free standing 

20 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

We seem to have led the way on this I heard somewhere that extensions being built now to existing stands like at Anfield and Tynecastle are completely free standing 

If anyone is interested have a look at the construction of the Anfield main stand,  similar use of a massive truss, some similarities with the red brick facia.    The Bill Struth really was in a league of its own when originally constructed and the addition of the Club Deck like other aspects of the redevelopment at Ibrox was groundbreaking.   

23 minutes ago, andyhrfc said:

If anyone is interested have a look at the construction of the Anfield main stand,  similar use of a massive truss, some similarities with the red brick facia.    The Bill Struth really was in a league of its own when originally constructed and the addition of the Club Deck like other aspects of the redevelopment at Ibrox was groundbreaking.   

We have always set new standards ... Ibrox today stands testament to the ambition that has built our great club 

On 2017-6-27 at 10:00 PM, The Ibrox Derry said:

Sadly all the old foundries that specialized in what they used to call 'street furniture' are all gone. Probably no one left with the skills to make such intricate moulds and ornate work.

After our conversation on here I went and inspected the Broomy gates this morning when picking up my mates ticket.

They are in a bit of a sad state which genuinely upset me. On the top left a little part has cracked and some rust looks to have set in.

Could really do with a new powdercoat too.

3 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

After our conversation on here I went and inspected the Broomy gates this morning when picking up my mates ticket.

They are in a bit of a sad state which genuinely upset me. On the top left a little part has cracked and some rust looks to have set in.

Could really do with a new powdercoat too.

Hopefully work can get done on them before it's too late, how old are the gates, roughly?

On 28/06/2017 at 8:15 PM, rab wilson said:

The wee fellas face.priceless moment mate.

No Surrender 

Rab 

He still talks about he loved it, he went to school the day after and told his teacher he was in a helicopter taking photos of Ibrox, had to put them on a disc for the class to see, like I said he loved it Rab. 

3 hours ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Anyone got a pic of the blue oap/veterans cars that used to come into the track and park behind the goals, before kickoff.

Never forget that, from when i first visited Ibrox mid / late 60's.

0f266a1f58daf3c1f9216025e5a4596e.thumb.jpg.3d953255c6f5e46f099d56f2224fada8.jpg22-03-72-european-cup-winners-cup-rangers-v-torino-794368.jpg.6249f1520e0dc513c637e2d1c482637b.jpgf564f816900c5a75f2627b28225237b3.jpg.411395ebdbc2178d60127e12fedd86b9.jpgseason-1969-1970-rangers-v-morton-ibrox-glasgow-792033.jpg.ef973defc688421fa9e08f834a17977f.jpgUntitled-Scanned-01.thumb.jpg.7c891f9a06b8387b6aee020e673be253.jpg

5 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Was this the Billy Graham campaign, late 1950s, early 60s?

View from Centenary Stand before Arsenal match as 200 former Rangers make a brief comeback to tremendous applause, marking 100 years of RFC.

2427xiu.thumb.jpg.2c29dc8b7c1aca1e8bffc938e55ac400.jpg2mnj0jk.thumb.jpg.605c087d4f459b36e8a630422f5d5c05.jpg

Rangers football club hold a Centenary game against Arsenal in August 1973

general manager Willie Waddell introduces Alex Newbigging (97) the

oldest surviving club player at that time. 

24ng200.thumb.jpg.15f6fb922de37aa930465915a1ae82df.jpgs2fzhd.thumb.jpg.25502383c339698d286b73d2ce43ed2d.jpg20bbe3846b3dc74bdd1553b10956bfc9.jpg.5e222c6a5ee2b5b8b31d1a8ab971458e.jpg

Willie Woodburn                                                                         Ronnie McKinnon, Dandy McLean, Jim Baxter, Doug Baillie and Billy McPhee ?

1 hour ago, Don54 said:

View from Centenary Stand before Arsenal match as 200 former Rangers make a brief comeback to tremendous applause, marking 100 years of RFC.

2427xiu.thumb.jpg.2c29dc8b7c1aca1e8bffc938e55ac400.jpg2mnj0jk.thumb.jpg.605c087d4f459b36e8a630422f5d5c05.jpg

Rangers football club hold a Centenary game against Arsenal in August 1973

general manager Willie Waddell introduces Alex Newbigging (97) the

oldest surviving club player at that time. 

24ng200.thumb.jpg.15f6fb922de37aa930465915a1ae82df.jpgs2fzhd.thumb.jpg.25502383c339698d286b73d2ce43ed2d.jpg20bbe3846b3dc74bdd1553b10956bfc9.jpg.5e222c6a5ee2b5b8b31d1a8ab971458e.jpg

Willie Woodburn                                                                         Ronnie McKinnon, Dandy McLean, Jim Baxter, Doug Baillie and Billy McPhee ?

Only 5 pence for admission that night.